Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiff
    • By tiff 19th Mar 05, 10:23 PM
    • 6,551Posts
    • 8,597Thanks
    tiff
    smoothie / smoothies recipes
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:23 PM
    smoothie / smoothies recipes 19th Mar 05 at 10:23 PM
    We made banana smoothies tonight with the kids. The idea was good, they were keen to make them and drink them. But after a couple of mouthfuls they both put the drink down saying they didnt like the bits! I used a banana, milk and ice cream and whizzed it up in the food processor.

How do you make a smooth smoothie? Should I get a blender or are smoothies meant to have lumps?! I just want to get it right so that they enjoy it.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
Page 3
  • raeble
    I have a braun hand processor with all the attachments. It also has an ice crusher bit. Find it very useful for smoothies, soups, chopping onions etc.
  • greenlogo
    For a wee bit of a change with my smoothies, I peel and chop a little root ginger and leave it in the milk I'll be using (in the fridge!) overnight, I then whizz up a banana and some chopped (peeled) apple (braeburn or something soft like that) with some ice and the milk. Numee!
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Jun 05, 7:21 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    Jo4
    Um.. make sure you're using cold liquid? Use frozen fruit like frozen berries, grapes, banana? Add icecubes to the smoothie either in the glass/jug or in the blender, but only if your blender can handle icecubes.
    by crana999
    Thanks for responding! Any fruit which is not frooze is kept in the fridge apart from bananas. Yogurt is frooze too. Should I put all fruit in the freezer?
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Jun 05, 7:24 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    Jo4
    Some one asked about keeping it cold I sometimes put Ice cream in mine and that makes it cooler.
    by MonkeyGirl
    Thanks for responding! I must try this when I get my freezer emptied out a bit so there would be room for the icecream!!
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Jun 05, 7:26 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    Jo4
    How long would a smoothie keep for? Can you freeze smoothies? :confused:
    • crana999
    • By crana999 21st Jun 05, 8:48 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    Thanks for responding! Any fruit which is not frooze is kept in the fridge apart from bananas. Yogurt is frooze too. Should I put all fruit in the freezer?
    by Jo4
    You can try freezing some of the other fruit you're planning to put in your smoothies, though I'm not sure how well some of them would freeze.
    • robowen
    • By robowen 29th Jun 05, 7:30 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    robowen
    Here is a recipe I just tried...and it seemed to work for me.

16 Strawberries
    1 Banana
    1 Peeled/cored apple
    1 Squeezed orange
    18 Grapes

Bung it all in the pot and whizz it round a bit. You'll need the stick to push some of the fruit down.
    Add a little water or chopped ice to thin it if need be.
    You could sieve it to remove the pips if you want.

I just made this up and re-filled an empty 500ml fresh orange bottle...even put 3 ice cubes in there too to add to the concoction !!

This is the best tasting smoothie I've done so far !!

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jun 05, 7:58 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hmm... I think it's about time I added this thread as a link in our Old Style Recipe Collection.

I'll do it when the site is less busy.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • misty
    • By misty 30th Jun 05, 2:05 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    I use natural plain yoghurt to mine rather than milk for a thicker shake. I saw Michelle McManus eating a avacado based smoothie on you are what you eat - anybody got a recipe with avacodo in?
  • spl2nh
    how to make smoothies?
    hello, just wondering if anyone could advise on how to make a drink that contains 5 portions of fruit, prefferably which can be frozen. Do I just blend fruit with fruit juice? thanks in advance.
  • competitionscafe
    Just chuck all the fruit in a blender with some yoghurt, fruit juice (apple or orange are good) or water to thin it out (otherwise it will be more like a fruit paste!) Or you can get one of those Kenwood Smoothie makers, but it's basically just a blender with a tap (you can use ice cubes or frozen fruit in it though). Not sure about freezing your smoothies (probably okay?) but they are usually best drunk as soon as they are made.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • JessicaFishy
    yer- agree with competitions cafe. I use orange juice, a banana (for thickness), and then whatever else. strawberries and mango are good additions...
  • competitionscafe
    I recently started using my juicer again (just a cheap 25 Kenwood one) as I realised that it's not actually that much of a nightmare to clean IF you stick all the parts into a washing up bowl of hot water to soak as soon as you have 'juiced'.

Current faves:

-
    Carrot, apple and kiwi:
    4 carrots
    1 or 2 apples
    1 kiwi fruit
    handful of fresh parsley
    -------
    Carrot, apple and ginger:
    5 or 6 carrots
    2 apples
    thumb sized piece of fresh ginger
    juice of 1 lime

they taste much nicer than they sound, honest!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 15th Sep 05, 5:04 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I have a juicer and the carrot, apple and ginger is one of my faves. However, as a juice only counts as 1 portion, however much you drink, I have taken to making smoothies. No fancy new gadgets for me - I use my trusty stick blender but I did buy a plastic jug with a lid that has a small removeable piece in the centre, from Netto for 1.99 - thus no splashing banana and strawbs up my jim jams whilst making my brekkie smoothy

Currently my fave is 1 banana, large portion of strawberries, 2 nectarines or peaches, blitzed with a glug of skimmed milk - voila, 4-5 portions in a glass. I have also used kiwi instead of necatrines. As the strawberry season is ending,I have a supply of frozen berries which I shall be putting to good use soon.

ps. never frozen them - always drunk at once, but they should make nice ice lolly type things
  • Kippsy
    Sure this is an obvious tip to regular juicers but always use ripe fruit where you can as it gives a much better flavour!!

I also have a question though, is it better to eat a piece of fruit or a drink a large smoothie... always wondered this, just curious.
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • misesther
    Smoothies
    I want to start making smoothies. Can I use my blender or do I need a special machine?
    • jazzyjustlaw
    • By jazzyjustlaw 21st Sep 05, 8:33 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    jazzyjustlaw
    You can use your blender - we do. Just had one actually. yum yum
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.2.00 savers club - 20.00 saved and banked (got a 2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 21st Sep 05, 8:50 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hiya, we have a thread on smoothies that might help you.

To join it Click Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 21st Sep 05, 9:22 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Stick blender, jug, add fruit and milk/yog, whizz, there ya go

Had one for brekkie - yum
  • AussieLass
    Just off track here a wee bit but I bought myself a stick blender on Tuesday. Bargain at $10. In the arv, whizzed soup up that I had cooking and don't quite know how I did it but lifted it up accidently and soup was sprayed all over kitchen bench, tiles and myself. But yes, I will use it for smoothies as well. I'll make sure that I turn it off before lifting up next time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

43Posts Today

2,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin