Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frosty
    • By frosty 15th Sep 05, 3:36 PM
    • 1,153Posts
    • 2,179Thanks
    frosty
    runny yoghurt
    • 15th Sep 05, 3:36 PM
    runny yoghurt 15th Sep 05 at 3:36 PM
    Hello everyone, please can someone help me?, I have made some yogurt for the first time,the yogurt is very thick but when I add anything to flavour it eg.honey or stewed apple it seems to turn into a yogurt drink,am I doing anything wrong?
    Last edited by frosty; 15-09-2005 at 5:22 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Page 1
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 15th Sep 05, 4:06 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 15th Sep 05, 4:06 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 4:06 PM
    I strain the yogurt as soon as it's made, it's much nicer and doesn't dilute like your has. You just need a seive and a piece of muslin. You can seive it overnight to make a yogurt cheese that is like Philadelphia which you can use to make cheesecake etc
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 15th Sep 05, 5:20 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    • 15th Sep 05, 5:20 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 5:20 PM
    If you are stirring the yoghurt, I find that can the yogurt mine down considerably.

I add about half a cup (scant) of skimmed milk powder to my easiyo pot together with almost a litre of full cream UHT straight out of the pack, and a good soupspoonful of my previous batch. Works for me, and withstands a deal of stirring.

Regards,

White.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 16th Sep 05, 9:12 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    • 16th Sep 05, 9:12 PM
    • 16th Sep 05, 9:12 PM
    I always make my yoghurt with long life full cream milk and it NEVER goes runny. 100pc sucess! May be a little more expensive but with no waste I think you will find this is the answer.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Sep 05, 12:15 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 17th Sep 05, 12:15 AM
    • 17th Sep 05, 12:15 AM
    I also use UHT whole milk and add a couple of tablespoons of milk powder and it comes out lovely and thick, just like Greek yoghurt

While I'm here, how long do you all keep your yoghurts in the fridge for after they're made? I've had some in there for a week now and it smells and tastes ok, but I'm not sure I want to risk making another batch from it :confused:

Oh and how many times do you start off from the previous batch before using a fresh supply?
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 17th Sep 05, 7:18 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 17th Sep 05, 7:18 AM
    • 17th Sep 05, 7:18 AM
    Hi C_Q, you can freeze your starter cultures so you could do that on the day it's made and then forget about it, the batch you have now - if it's edible then I'd say that it's still good as a starter. A few weeks ago Ted H said that he hadn't bought a starter since Easter
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Sep 05, 8:47 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 17th Sep 05, 8:47 AM
    • 17th Sep 05, 8:47 AM
    Hi C_Q, you can freeze your starter cultures so you could do that on the day it's made and then forget about it, the batch you have now - if it's edible then I'd say that it's still good as a starter. A few weeks ago Ted H said that he hadn't bought a starter since Easter
    by apprentice tycoon

Oh right, I never knew you could freeze them. Wouldn't that kill off the bacteria though? :confused:

I usually make a litre at a time, but with just two of us here sometimes we struggle to get through it, unless I use some of it in cooking, although I've now got some yummy recipes for yoghurt ice cream I want to try so will no doubt use it up much quicker that way
    ~

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 17th Sep 05, 9:03 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 17th Sep 05, 9:03 AM
    • 17th Sep 05, 9:03 AM
    I've found this for you, in the middle it talks of using a frozen starter for yogurt. I think that most bacteria survives freezing otherwise you could freeze dodgy chicken, kill the bugs and there'd be no more food poisoning - they're tough little ******
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Sep 05, 9:42 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 17th Sep 05, 9:42 AM
    • 17th Sep 05, 9:42 AM
    I've found this for you, in the middle it talks of using a frozen starter for yogurt. I think that most bacteria survives freezing otherwise you could freeze dodgy chicken, kill the bugs and there'd be no more food poisoning - they're tough little ******
    by apprentice tycoon

Yes, I realised after I posted that freezing doesn't actually kill the bacteria but renders it dormant which then comes back to life once it's thawed out. It's the heating up of stuff that destroys it, hence the need to boil or heat till piping hot etc (not enough intake!)

This is fantastic as it means I don't have to keep a continual supply going all the time and try force-feeding DS with it all before it goes off

Thankyou!
    ~

• angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 17th Sep 05, 10:53 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I keep mine in the fridge for 5 days. If it looks especialy watery on top its at the end of its life. I just keep half a pot from each "batch" as my starter for next time. didnt know you could freeze that-so thanks for that! That tip will definitely save money. Yoghurt is loely on muesli or that type of cereal-jordans crunch etc. My son had it on jelly last night cos we had no cream!

p.s. Bacteria multiplies at body temperature-or there abouts. when you are thawing food and when you are "warming" food. I NEVER warm food-I reheat it or eat it cold.

Ive got the exact figures somewhere if anybody wants them-from my food&hygeine course.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 17-09-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 17th Sep 05, 11:11 AM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Has anyone tired freezing yoghurt to defrost and eat later? I've given it a go but it returned to milk consistency although it retained a yoghurty taste. What am I doing wrong. It would be a real help just to be able to defrost and go particularly when we a bobbing between coast and mids.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 17th Sep 05, 11:22 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Hi Math, I really don't think that you can freeze yogurt to eat, just to use as a starter for the next batch
  • HOLsale
    Yogurt, is it really THAT hard to make?
    i've tried many times to make yogurt with only partial success

recently i finally used the bel yogurt maker i was given a few years ago. it's the thermos type with it's own thermometer

i thought with using the thermometer i'd have better luck but my first batch wasn't thick enough tasted of good quality yogurt but it was more the consistency of a smoothie than yogurt

i'd added some milk powder to help thicken it up and it was suggested that i omit this for the next batch

well i made some last night sans milk powder. i made it EXACTLY to the letter (uht milk heated to 50C as per the instructions, used the thermometer it came with) pour that into the container with the 1 dessertspoonful of live yogurt (probiotic stuff from lidl) then pop the lid on, put it in the thermos casing

i also put it on top of a towel (in case it needed to be wrapped up) AND i put it near the heater so it was certain to stay warm all night (my kitchen stays a reasonable temp, you don't notice it being hot or cold it's just 'right' if you see what i mean)

this morning... same thing!

WHAT am i doing wrong? as far as i can tell my yogurt SHOULD be turning out ok... i'm confuzled and frustrated, help!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Mar 06, 12:27 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    A quick search on "yoghurt" shows twenty threads, of which I think this one (that I have just merged you with) is the most helpful.

Good luck
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • HOLsale
    Hi Math, I really don't think that you can freeze yogurt to eat, just to use as a starter for the next batch
    by apprentice tycoon

you can however make ice lollies from yogurt, i do it all the time
  • ChocClare
    i've tried many times to make yogurt with only partial success

recently i finally used the bel yogurt maker i was given a few years ago. it's the thermos type with it's own thermometer

i thought with using the thermometer i'd have better luck but my first batch wasn't thick enough tasted of good quality yogurt but it was more the consistency of a smoothie than yogurt

i'd added some milk powder to help thicken it up and it was suggested that i omit this for the next batch

well i made some last night sans milk powder. i made it EXACTLY to the letter (uht milk heated to 50C as per the instructions, used the thermometer it came with) pour that into the container with the 1 dessertspoonful of live yogurt (probiotic stuff from lidl) then pop the lid on, put it in the thermos casing

i also put it on top of a towel (in case it needed to be wrapped up) AND i put it near the heater so it was certain to stay warm all night (my kitchen stays a reasonable temp, you don't notice it being hot or cold it's just 'right' if you see what i mean)

this morning... same thing!

WHAT am i doing wrong? as far as i can tell my yogurt SHOULD be turning out ok... i'm confuzled and frustrated, help!
    by HOLsale
    Use more starter, I'd say. I have an Easiyo set (which is just a big yoghurt pot which you put inside a thermos filled with boiling water) and I put two TABLESPOONSFUL of Total Greek yoghurt (because I like that one, but I've used others) and fill the container up with cold full-fat UHT milk straight out of the fridge; put the container in the thermos and go to bed. In the morning it's always really thick and I'm not poncing about with thermometers, which I know would be a recipe for disaster for me. You shouldn't need to heat UHT milk unless that's the heating element of your set, in which case I'm surprised 50 degrees is hot enough. But try more starter anyway - I've had thinner versions when I haven't quite had 2 tblsps of yoghurt to start with, so I'm sure that's probably why.
  • HOLsale
    You shouldn't need to heat UHT milk unless that's the heating element of your set, in which case I'm surprised 50 degrees is hot enough. But try more starter anyway - I've had thinner versions when I haven't quite had 2 tblsps of yoghurt to start with, so I'm sure that's probably why.
    by ChocClare

funny i used to have an easiyo and bought it to make my own vs buying the packets, couldn't get it to work in that either!

i'll try more starter, cheers for that

as for the heating, i HAVE to as this doesn't have a compartment for hot water... you heat the milk, pour into the pot, put the lid on and slide it into a snug thermos it's from the 70's really OS eh?

i'll use a good helping next time meanwhile it'll go nice in our curry tonight, if i can find a muslin cloth or a clean pair of tights i will try making some 'paneer' cheese out of the yogurt... i did this with all the failed lots i made in my easiyo (which is long gone) i simply let it drip through the muslin in a warm place over night and in the morning i had a soft homemade cheese not unlike paneer

i cooked extra chickpeas so i can make up some sort of curry and we can have sag paneer as a side dish with the bag of spinach that's been in my freezer since the dawn of time (what possesed me?!)

here's hoping my next batch is perfect! thanks!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Mar 06, 6:41 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I always make my yoghurt with long life full cream milk and it NEVER goes runny. 100pc sucess! May be a little more expensive but with no waste I think you will find this is the answer.
    by angelatgraceland
    I do this too and always have success,Ialso add 1/2 a cup of dried milk to the starter for extra richness.
    • vivaladiva
    • By vivaladiva 12th Mar 08, 10:12 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    vivaladiva
    I made Yoghurt!!
    I'm so pleased with myself - I made yoghurt overnight.
    Only thing is it's not really thick. Should I give it a bit longer, or do I need to modify my recipe? It's probably acceptably thick but personal preference would like a bit thicker IYSWIM.
    Last edited by vivaladiva; 12-03-2008 at 11:08 AM.
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 12th Mar 08, 12:41 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hiya,

I've added you on to an ealier thread that's wortha read. it may well help you out.

Good luck
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin