Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • purplegirluk1
    • By purplegirluk1 14th Sep 05, 7:41 PM
    • 1,457Posts
    • 958Thanks
    purplegirluk1
    How to skin Tomatoes?
    • 14th Sep 05, 7:41 PM
    How to skin Tomatoes? 14th Sep 05 at 7:41 PM
    I am sorry if the aswer to the question is lurking in the depths of OS somewhere but I just can't find it anywhere!!

Anyway, i've been given a big bag of FREE tomatoes from work, they are very ripe and will start to spoil really soon. I was going to make up some tomato and basil sauces and freeze them for meals with pasta. I asked my mum how I could cook them up and she mentioned that I could boil them and the peel them and they would be similar to tinned toms. Before I could get any more info she scooted off on her hols for two weeks! Now i'm in your capable hands.........what do I need to do? :-)
    Last edited by purplegirluk1; 14-09-2005 at 8:01 PM.
Page 1
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 14th Sep 05, 8:55 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 14th Sep 05, 8:55 PM
    • 14th Sep 05, 8:55 PM
    To skin tomatoes, drop in boiling water for about 1 minute, then drop into cool water, then the skin peels off really easily. You may find you don't need 1 minute - try 30 seconds, and add a little longer if you need too

Then you can just cook them down into a sauce with choppd onion, herbs, garlic, even cream cheese as this makes it like a cheapy marscapone type sauce.
    • purplegirluk1
    • By purplegirluk1 14th Sep 05, 10:10 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    purplegirluk1
    • 14th Sep 05, 10:10 PM
    • 14th Sep 05, 10:10 PM
    Oh thats brilliant!! I was begining to think my Mum had been telling fibs, hee hee. Ok well thats me busy tomorrow then, hopefully I will have lots of nice sauce to show for it at the end. Fingers crossed it goes as planned. Thanks again!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 21st Sep 08, 11:25 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 21st Sep 08, 11:25 AM
    • 21st Sep 08, 11:25 AM
    Hi there I've resurrected this thread as I have a query about skinning tomatoes. I'm wanting to make another batch of Rhoda Jean's delicious chilli tomato relish, using my HG tomatoes. I'm sure I've read that some poeple skin tomatoes by freezing tham first.

Does anyone have a method for this - do the skins just come off easily once they come out of the freezer, or do they still need to be dipped in boiling water :confused:

TIA, Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 21st Sep 08, 12:22 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 21st Sep 08, 12:22 PM
    • 21st Sep 08, 12:22 PM
    Hi Penny,

I hadn't heard of that before but I found this link which says that the skins split when frozen making them easy to remove under running water.

Pink
  • rach
    • 21st Sep 08, 1:08 PM
    • 21st Sep 08, 1:08 PM
    my gran used to skin the odd one by sticking it on a fork and holding it over a lit gas burner!
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 21st Sep 08, 1:27 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 21st Sep 08, 1:27 PM
    • 21st Sep 08, 1:27 PM
    I use the gas burner method as it's quicker and easier, as long as you have a gas cooker! Stick tomato on fork, hold it in gas flame until skin starts to bubble, rotate slowly so whole tomato has bubbled and it peels off reallly easily.
    Have used the boiling water method as well just be careful of your fingers. I don't think I dropped them in cold water, sounds like a good idea!
    If I had loads of tomatoes to peel then water would probably be more efficient but for one or two gas is quicker (IMHO)

Oystercatcher
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 21st Sep 08, 2:42 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 21st Sep 08, 2:42 PM
    • 21st Sep 08, 2:42 PM
    Hi Penny,

I hadn't heard of that before but I found this link which says that the skins split when frozen making them easy to remove under running water.

Pink
    Originally posted by Pink-winged
    Thanks Pink Having tried both the boiling water and the freezing methods, freezing works best (for the quantities I'm doing, I'm bound to burn myself using a naked flame ). I didn't even need running water - the skin slips really easily from frozen solid tomatoes

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,274Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin