Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gingerdad
    • By gingerdad 13th Sep 05, 10:33 PM
    • 1,825Posts
    • 1,417Thanks
    gingerdad
    Ideas for Kids Meals
    • 13th Sep 05, 10:33 PM
    Ideas for Kids Meals 13th Sep 05 at 10:33 PM
    We make a number of nice meals for and with our two kids 4 and 3, but i'm looking of other suggestions, we currently make:

Pizza, the love making the dough and the mess that causes
    Burgers, again love making and adding all sorts of things ,we got a cheap burger maker which seems to hold them together better.
    Crunchy Chicken, just pieces of chicken dipped in tomato saues covered in corn flakes (use Hawkshead relish company t/s as it adds a real kick).

They do quite a bite of baking with Mum and MIL, so was just wonder if any one has ideas for the times we sit and make tea together.

We always eat the same meal as the kids and have the luxury of having an excellent farm shop at the end of the road.

But as i say we like to involve the girls so any ideas gratefully received...

GD
Page 1
    • Becles
    • By Becles 14th Sep 05, 6:38 AM
    • 12,879 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    Becles
    • 14th Sep 05, 6:38 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 6:38 AM
    How about fajitas? My 2 love filling their tortillas and rolling them up at the table.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 14th Sep 05, 6:50 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 6:50 AM
    Hi

My DD helps with most things-she likes getting her hands dirty..lol. She helps with curry, toad in hole, roasts, shepards pie, fruit salads, rice pudding, spagbol, pizzas. Just give her a little job to do and shes fine. Biscuit making and cake baking. Jellies and fruit. Ice cream sundaes. Loads more

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
    • kscour
    • By kscour 14th Sep 05, 11:24 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    kscour
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:24 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:24 AM
    If you're feeling really brave get a large nail brush and get them to scrub potatoes for you - best done outside while wearing waterproof clothing - mine still love it and as far as they're concerned they made the potatoes. Now they're older they also mash potaotes when the new ones have finished.
    I've always kept an eye out for obvious dangers such as sharp knives & hot stoves but just let them have a go at whatever I'm doing - the bigger they get the more they do and the better they get at it. I'm hoping to retire by the time they're 12!!!!!!
    May GC - £469.36/£400
    • Mado
    • By Mado 14th Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    • 20,484 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    My kids fight to pod peas....( I have to prepare them though)

DD who is almost 8 can peel carrots, grate cheese, although I wouln't recommend it for under 6.
    They love mixing anything....and using a piping bag to make meringues had them in heaven.(Make twice the amount required!!! there is a lot of losses!).
    Omelettes is another easy one.

With the excellent fajita idea, they can mash the avocado if you make a guacamole with it.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
    • gingerdad
    • By gingerdad 15th Sep 05, 11:34 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    gingerdad
    • 15th Sep 05, 11:34 AM
    • 15th Sep 05, 11:34 AM
    Thanks i like the fajatias idea, the do alot of baking with Grandma, i also like the scrubing patatoes... as they love to wash the pots, but that gets very messy

GD
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 15th Sep 05, 12:06 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,505 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 15th Sep 05, 12:06 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 12:06 PM
    We did a birthday cake one year which was a house (Hansel and Gretel style).It was a square of sponge cake cut in half and piled one on the other.Then butter icing all over and my DD loved putting on the walls and roof out of chocolate fingers and making a little sweetie garden with jelly sweets and those little chocolate barrels. It was quite messy but looked really effective.She was so pleased with herself.
    My son started cooking bolognaise quite early on using the pasta shells,he became my official onion chopper as he loved it when it made his eyes water.We taught them to make a bridge with their hand and cut under the bridge with the knife.
  • tr3mor
    • 15th Sep 05, 12:20 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 12:20 PM
    i thought the fish cake idea on another post near here would be good. maybe get them some big cookie cutters and make them shaped fishcakes!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 15th Sep 05, 1:28 PM
    • 6,907 Posts
    • 45,105 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 15th Sep 05, 1:28 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 1:28 PM
    Meat balls are another good one, either mince or sausagemeat ones....they can make them into interesting shapes and dip them in flour.

Both my two like to make the batter for yorkshire puddings and love measuring out ingredients for pastry and baking.

What about getting them to make salads....they should be able to cut most salad items with blunt knives..(might not look pretty but will still taste the same) They could make individual bowls for each person depending on tastes..eg. grated carrot or cheese, hard boiled eggs etc. Mine are happy to prepare the salad while I'm getting the rest of the dinner ready, keeps them quiet at the table and it's another job I don't need to do.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • misty
    • By misty 15th Sep 05, 6:36 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    How about fish pie? My son loves mashing pots - because he's so strong. He does peel veg too - under supervision - he's four and does a pretty good job. again wraps are another favourite. A bit embarassing in shops when he asks - am I making my own tea again or are you doing it tonight?
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 15th Sep 05, 6:44 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    How about pastry? My son loves making pastry for jam tarts etc.
  • Kippsy
    aww misty

Bless them... my nephew is currently an only child and eats his meals on his own so he will only eat what he knows... beans and ham. I'm sure he will grow out of it but I remember making all sorts of things when we were kids (my brothers and I) and My Mum made us some mini aprons that matched her big aprons... they were blue and white striped. Those were the days.

You simply cannot beat chocolate cornflake cakes of marshmallow rice krispie cakes!! off back to the kitchen... we have cornflakes!
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,840Posts Today

7,450Users online

Martin's Twitter