Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • greenlogo
    • 13th Sep 05, 6:15 PM
    • 13th Sep 05, 6:15 PM
    either should be fine I think - I've only used the yellow ones for soup though so I'm not totally sure..This recipie (US) seems to suggest it will be fine though.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 13th Sep 05, 7:22 PM
    • 13th Sep 05, 7:22 PM
    Green lentil soup recipe
    There will be no problem using any kind of lentils.
    Some cook down more than others but it all depends on how you like your soup and if you prefer it with the vegetables/lentils idenifiable or blended into a smooth soup. Both ways are nice so it's up to you.
    • frosty
    • By frosty 13th Sep 05, 8:21 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    frosty
    • 13th Sep 05, 8:21 PM
    • 13th Sep 05, 8:21 PM
    We have a big pan of vegetable and lentil soup every week, I use all the veg that needs using up,put it all in a big pan,add some veg stock cubes ,a mug of lentils any colour,half fill the pan with water then simmer until all the veg is soft, then liquidise till smooth, lots of friends that call round for lunch ask for the recipe,I dont have one, every pan of soup is different, the last one had about 2lbs of tomatoes in it,tomorrows soup has cabbage leaves and any thing else thats been lurking in the fridge for a while.
  • elvis_bloggs
    • 13th Sep 05, 8:27 PM
    • 13th Sep 05, 8:27 PM
    It's funny a thread about lentils should appear today, I bought a 2kg bag of red split lentils today, I use them a lot in soups, stews and even curries....yummy.

• crana999
    • By crana999 14th Sep 05, 12:05 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 14th Sep 05, 12:05 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 12:05 AM
    I make a yummy lentil soup with red lentils, carrots, an onion, and a stock cube cooked until tender and blended.
  • caffeinehit
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:10 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:10 AM
    Great, thanks. I tried Ted's recipe last night (I eat very late), whacked in a bit of cumin as well and it was delicious.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    I make a yummy Tarka Dhal with lentils, usually the split red ones, but I should imagine any of them would be fine. I think my recipe is in the index somewhere but if not I'll type it up if anyone wants it
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 14th Sep 05, 11:33 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:33 AM
    • 14th Sep 05, 11:33 AM
    Isn't it one of your recipes with your World Famous Curry Sauce?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Sep 05, 11:37 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Isn't it one of your recipes with your World Famous Curry Sauce?
    by squeaky

Aye, that'll be the one

Which reminds me I really must get around to making another batch for the freezer soon as I've used the last lot and it's getting that time of year again where some nice hot curries will be most welcoming
    ~

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 14th Sep 05, 12:01 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Yep - I have a curry type thing planned for tomorrow.

While I have your attention... the sauce is quite mild and I was wondering if you knew how I might heat it up a bit without spoiling its basic flavours?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Sep 05, 12:34 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Yep - I have a curry type thing planned for tomorrow.

While I have your attention... the sauce is quite mild and I was wondering if you knew how I might heat it up a bit without spoiling its basic flavours?
    by squeaky

The base sauce is very mild as it doesn't have anything added yet, apart from turmeric and paprika for colouring, and then you add various spices depending what type of curry you're making when you come to use it. Chilli powder will obviously determine the "heat" of your curry and other spices such as cumin, coriander, fenugreek, garam masala etc add the flavour.

Not sure where my head is today, but the tarka dhal I make doesn't actually use the base curry sauce, it's a totally separate dish and very easy to make, but it is used alongside the curry sauce to make a dhansak, which is probably were I got muddled up. I'm sure the recipe is in the file (my search facility won't work) as I think I posted the dhansak recipe before too.
    ~

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 14th Sep 05, 12:45 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Thanks for that. Hmm... spoilt for choice here...

• crana999
    • By crana999 14th Sep 05, 1:11 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    I forgot my recipe for green lentils.

Cook them as it says on the packet, then heat them with a tin of tomatoes and some form of chilli (powder, fresh, sauce, whatever) to your desired level of hotness. Cook until the sauce is quite thick.

Pour over pasta (wholemeal pasta shells are best) and sprinkle a little cheese on. You can serve as-is, melt the cheese in the microwave, or cook it in the oven like a pasta bake.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Sep 05, 1:21 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    All this talk of lentils and curry is making me hungry! I think I'll go stick some naan bread dough in the BM and make a tarka dhal for dinner tonight, and maybe chuck in some stray veggies too

Hey, the first of my storecupboard meals already
    ~

• foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 14th Sep 05, 6:08 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    I've today used about 4oz red split lentils to a 2lb bag of frozen minced lambalong with the usual ingredients to make a big pan of shepherds pie base, which has increased the usual portion size and it now makes three shephers pies instead of two. And very yummy it was too and noboby noticed, so increased their fibre intake and cost less too.
    • Yoga Girl
    • By Yoga Girl 14th Sep 05, 6:55 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Yoga Girl
    We tend to use the red lentils for soup, and the green one for things like shepherds pie (to replace the mince) or in a stew, or for middle eastern dishes (try www.ivu.org/recipes/greek/ for ideas.)

• AussieLass
    I've today used about 4oz red split lentils to a 2lb bag of frozen minced lambalong with the usual ingredients to make a big pan of shepherds pie base, which has increased the usual portion size and it now makes three shephers pies instead of two. And very yummy it was too and noboby noticed, so increased their fibre intake and cost less too.
    by foreverskint
    Sorry if this is a blonde question but did you soak the lentils first or cook them before adding them to the frozen lamb mince (is that what lambalong is?) or was it just a long lamb.
    P.S. I'm blonde
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 15th Sep 05, 7:33 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Sorry if this is a blonde question but did you soak the lentils first or cook them before adding them to the frozen lamb mince (is that what lambalong is?) or was it just a long lamb.
    P.S. I'm blonde
    by AussieLass

I had to look twice at that too before realising there should be a space between "lamb" and "along"

It's like the other day I was reading a post (wish I could remember who's it was now) and they were cooking chicken in a slowcooker but I swear when I read it TWICE it said "cooking children in a slowcooker"

I swear I'm going senile and I'm not even 40 yet <sob>
    ~

• AussieLass
    I had to look twice at that too before realising there should be a space between "lamb" and "along"

It's like the other day I was reading a post (wish I could remember who's it was now) and they were cooking chicken in a slowcooker but I swear when I read it TWICE it said "cooking children in a slowcooker"

I swear I'm going senile and I'm not even 40 yet <sob>
    by Curry_Queen
    I never clued on to the space. Of course. I can never tell as sometimes you have different words for things we have here. Children in a slow cooker - that would have been tempting at times.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,934Posts Today

7,826Users online

Martin's Twitter