Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    AussieLass
    What to do with frozen orange juice?
    • 12th Sep 05, 6:37 AM
    What to do with frozen orange juice? 12th Sep 05 at 6:37 AM
    A while ago I had a heap of oranges and everybody was getting sick of them so I squeezed the juice and popped it in the freezer. I think I have the juice of 5 oranges. I thought I'd make some marmalade or something like that for Xmas hampers but all my recipes are for orange pulp as well as the juice. Does anybody have any suggestions what I could make with them keeping in mind, I can put the product into jars and give away. I don't think a jar of orange juice will go down really well. Come to think of it, might give one to MIL.
Page 1
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 12th Sep 05, 8:13 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:13 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:13 AM
    Any reason you can't just drink it or use it in a fruit salad?
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• AussieLass
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:46 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:46 AM
    So you reckon just add some vodka...........and forget the Xmas hamper pressies.
    • Trow
    • By Trow 12th Sep 05, 8:49 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:49 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:49 AM
    Now thats a great idea - vodka slush puppy!!!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 12th Sep 05, 8:55 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:55 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 8:55 AM
    So you reckon just add some vodka...........and forget the Xmas hamper pressies.
    by AussieLass

I can't think of a better way to use it

Sorry, we're not much help are we
    ~

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Sep 05, 9:13 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:13 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:13 AM
    what about carrot and orange soup.

New somerfield magazine has a recipe in it. Might even be on there website.

Yours

Calley
  • AussieLass
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:25 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:25 AM
    OK girls time to let your imagination run wild
    Think of Xmas day, opening presents........drum roll
    you get a jar of carrot & orange soup & a vodka slush puppy - which has mysteriously disappeared or melted
    I can see me getting death stares all day.
    Thanks guys.
    Might buy some more oranges & drink the lot in the freezer.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 12th Sep 05, 9:29 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:29 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:29 AM
    You could indeed buy an orange or two more and get the zest off them (use them up some other way) and make orange curd.

Just use the recipe for lemon curd from our Old Style Recipe Collection but use orange instead.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Sep 05, 9:32 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:32 AM
    • 12th Sep 05, 9:32 AM
    OK girls time to let your imagination run wild
    Think of Xmas day, opening presents........drum roll
    you get a jar of carrot & orange soup & a vodka slush puppy - which has mysteriously disappeared or melted
    I can see me getting death stares all day.
    Thanks guys.
    Might buy some more oranges & drink the lot in the freezer.
    by AussieLass

Recipe is here might make some for husband for lunch today.

Yours

Calley
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 12th Sep 05, 9:38 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    You could indeed buy an orange or two more and get the zest off them (use them up some other way) and make orange curd.

Just use the recipe for lemon curd from our Old Style Recipe Collection but use orange instead.

by squeaky
    Weyy heyyy a sensible answer at last!

I like the sound of that orange curd actually, and have a couple of bags of oranges sitting here not doing much right now ...
    ~

• AussieLass
    Recipe is here might make some for husband for lunch today.

Yours

Calley
    by calleyw
    If you do report back and tell us what it tasted like. I think I'll try the curd. I love lemon curd so it should be ok.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 12th Sep 05, 10:48 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Thanks C_Q - but I thought the vodka was more sensible!

Anyway - last time I had oranges I took the zest off before I ate them. Sooner or later I'm going to make an extra zingy orange and chocolate cake.

Oh, and change of subject while aussielass is still with us - I made the impossible pie over the weekend but the pastry and custard didn't settle out so I got a sludge.

I took a "moderate" oven to mean Gas mark 4. What should it have been?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• AussieLass
    Thanks C_Q - but I thought the vodka was more sensible!

Anyway - last time I had oranges I took the zest off before I ate them. Sooner or later I'm going to make an extra zingy orange and chocolate cake.

Oh, and change of subject while aussielass is still with us - I made the impossible pie over the weekend but the pastry and custard didn't settle out so I got a sludge.

I took a "moderate" oven to mean Gas mark 4. What should it have been?
    by squeaky
    Goodness me Squeaky, that's impossible I've been making that pie for 15 years and I've never stuffed it up. What the hell did you do with it. Hehe. Well moderate to me is around 180 degrees. I don't have gas. Better luck next time.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Sep 05, 1:18 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    If you do report back and tell us what it tasted like. I think I'll try the curd. I love lemon curd so it should be ok.
    by AussieLass

I did and he liked it. I did not add onion as we didn't have any so I cooked the carrots in veg stock. Whizzed it up in the blender added orange juice as it was thick. Added some dried veg and some cous cous and he loved it it. I used a carrot and half and that made a generous portion for my husband.

I am not a soup person.

Yours

Calley
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 12th Sep 05, 2:56 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Goodness me Squeaky, that's impossible I've been making that pie for 15 years and I've never stuffed it up. What the hell did you do with it. Hehe. Well moderate to me is around 180 degrees. I don't have gas. Better luck next time.
    by AussieLass
    And around 180C is gas mark 4.

So it should have worked. Hm...

I'm new to this cooker so I don't really believe in it yet. It's VERY hard to set the temperatures on the dials. I'll give it another go in a week or three

• Jo4
    • By Jo4 12th Sep 05, 3:06 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    Jo4
    What about using some of it in a smoothie??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

7,871Users online

Martin's Twitter