Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 3rd Nov 04, 7:59 PM
    • 10,322Posts
    • 16,983Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Got 1 and hungry
    • 3rd Nov 04, 7:59 PM
    Got 1 and hungry 3rd Nov 04 at 7:59 PM
    I enjoyed the 1.62 to feed 6 thread, but a lot of the suggestions assumed you were using a bit of something you had bought for more per pack than the amount used - if that makes sense ???.

I've been thinking about having just one measly quid in your pocket, and how far you could make it go, assuming you have no extra ingredients to bulk it out.

My best plan is 19p for a loaf of Economy bread, 67p for a tub of Sainsbury cheese spread, and 11p for a tin of economy baked beans. Total 97p.

I reckon in desperate straits you could live on this for two days (or two people for one day, of course) - plain toast (2 slices per person) with a scrape of cheese spread for breakfast; cream cheese sandwiches for lunch (doesn't need any butter or butter substitute) and half a tin of beans on toast for supper. Naturally all washed down with good old fashioned tap water!

Over to you....

Page 1
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 3rd Nov 04, 8:24 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    • 3rd Nov 04, 8:24 PM
    Re: Got 1 and hungry
    • 3rd Nov 04, 8:24 PM
    oooooooh good challenge - I'll have to think abt this.

you came up with a good meal but I'm sure someone (maybe not me!) can come up with a better alternative to the cheese spread - 67p is a lot of money

I enjoyed the 1.62 to feed 6 thread, but a lot of the suggestions assumed you were using a bit of something you had bought for more per pack than the amount used - if that makes sense ???.

I've been thinking about having just one measly quid in your pocket, and how far you could make it go, assuming you have no extra ingredients to bulk it out.

My best plan is 19p for a loaf of Economy bread, 67p for a tub of Sainsbury cheese spread, and 11p for a tin of economy baked beans. !Total 97p.

I reckon in desperate straits you could live on this for two days (or two people for one day, of course) - plain toast (2 slices per person) with a scrape of cheese spread for breakfast; cream cheese sandwiches for lunch (doesn't need any butter or butter substitute) and half a tin of beans on toast for supper. !Naturally all washed down with good old fashioned tap water!

Over to you....
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 3rd Nov 04, 11:43 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,381 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 3rd Nov 04, 11:43 PM
    • 3rd Nov 04, 11:43 PM
    Gonna have to think about this one!

Caterina
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 3rd Nov 04, 11:58 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,381 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 3rd Nov 04, 11:58 PM
    • 3rd Nov 04, 11:58 PM
    Ok:

At the market: 1 carrot, 1 onion, 1 small apple, 1 lemon (max. 30p).

At the discount supermarket: 1 tin of baked beans (11p), 3 oz cheapest cooking cheese or edam (40p), 500g pack of economy spaghetti (19p).

Cook spaghetti and dress with warmed up baked beans and the cheese, grated (main course). Put under grill for extra appetizing appearance!

Grate or finely chop carrot onion and apple and squeeze the lemon juice on the mix (side dish)

This is a balanced meal for 4, containing enough carbohydrate (pasta), protein (cheese and beans) and vitamins (carrot, onion, tomato sauce in baked beans, apple and lemon juice).

You can probably consider having had at least 3 of the 5 recommended daily portions of fruit and veg.

It is low in salt and low fat too, as the only fat is provided by the cheese - unfortunately the fat is mainly saturated, being from a dairy products, but hey at 1 quid for 4, beggars can't be choosers!

There goes! Goodnight all!

Caterina

• ashmit
    • By ashmit 4th Nov 04, 9:00 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    ashmit
    • 4th Nov 04, 9:00 AM
    • 4th Nov 04, 9:00 AM
    Wow. You're GOOD.

;D
  • rushnowt
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:08 AM
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:08 AM
    That sounds really good actually, gonna give that a go. ;D ;D
    • By 16011996 4th Nov 04, 10:23 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:23 AM
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:23 AM
    is it just me, or if it was you would anyone else buy the 99p price marked block of fruit and nut? ;D :-[ :-/
  • rushnowt
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:47 AM
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:47 AM
    Yes i would but , i'm really trying to be sensible for a change : ;D
    • By 16011996 4th Nov 04, 10:56 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:56 AM
    • 4th Nov 04, 10:56 AM
    Yes i would but , i'm really trying to be sensible for a change !: ! !;D
    but thats no fun!!!!
  • rushnowt
    lmao. i know but i do try lol.

we better be careful we'll have someone complaining about our non important posts :-X lol
    • By 16011996 4th Nov 04, 11:27 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    lmao. ! i know but i do try lol. !

we better be careful we'll have someone complaining about our non important posts !:-X ! lol
    if it wouldn't widen the screen so much i post a picture of my a$$ for them to kiss.

we aren't off topic are we?
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Nov 04, 12:36 PM
    • 20,566 Posts
    • 34,393 Thanks
    Spendless
    am ashamed to same that this frequently used to happen to me some years back when i was single and living alone- :-[
    there was a chinese at the top of my street and i used to buy chips and curry sauce in a tray 90p ;D

i have better habits now though
  • Austin_Allegro
    Sainsbury's do a 1/2 kilo of economy rice for about 40p. Get a couple of tins of economy plum tomatoes for about another 40p, and spend the rest on some carrots or an onion. That should last you a couple of days at least.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 4th Nov 04, 1:46 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    How many people are we trying to feed for a quid?
    Want to post a recipe/meal idea but i want to know how many its for.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Nov 04, 1:48 PM
    • 20,566 Posts
    • 34,393 Thanks
    Spendless
    I think the first poster said two people for a day or one for two days
    of course you could just do 1 for a day for one person if you wish SSaver
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 4th Nov 04, 2:16 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    85p...

one tin tesco value tomato soup 18p
    one tin tesco value tuna 38p
    ona pack tesco value pasta quills 19p
    tuna and pasta bake 85p

you could go a whole penny over budget and have jelly for afters (16p) but then again you probably dont need all the pasta, depends on how hungry you are. I think this COULD feed 4, but probably just 2 ravenous adults.

Ah yes substitute the jelly for rice pudding(15p) and that gets you an exact quid
    I'll be back... ;D
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 5th Nov 04, 12:13 AM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,381 Thanks
    Caterina
    is it just me, or if it was you would anyone else buy the 99p price marked block of fruit and nut? !;D !:-[ !:-/
    This reminds me of long time ago, I was 16 and my brother 15, we had been left for a week by our parents at a seaside place where we had a small flat for rent, and we were on the last day. Money was all spent except for the Italian equivalent of 1.

I sent my brother to the shop to buy some food to see us through the next day until my parents came back.

He went and brought back........
    .a cucumber
    .and
    .a jar of nutella!

Blokes and common sense definitely do not mix, do they? hehehe : : :

Caterina
    • By 16011996 5th Nov 04, 8:32 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks

This reminds me of long time ago, I was 16 and my brother 15, we had been left for a week by our parents at a seaside place where we had a small flat for rent, and we were on the last day. Money was all spent except for the Italian equivalent of 1.

I sent my brother to the shop to buy some !food to see us through the next day until my parents came back.

He went and brought back........
    .a cucumber
    .and
    .a jar of nutella!

Blokes and common sense definitely do not mix, do they? hehehe !: : :

Caterina
    #

lol ;D
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 5th Nov 04, 1:54 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,381 Thanks
    Caterina
    Something to add to my previous recipe, which would stretch it further - but this needs to be assuming that someone has already got some frying oil (or has nicked a pat of butter from a cafe hehe )

With leftover spaghetti and 4 eggs (pack of 6 free range eggs 90p) it is possible to make spaghetti frittata, which is a delicacy!

Basically you make an omelette using the pasta as filling and cook it slowly until set. As it is difficult to turn it (unless you are a dab hand at doing it with a pan lid - I am NOT!) you can cook the top by putting it under a grill.

Caterina
  • cathy
    bag frozen mash
    1 onion 5p
    tin corned beef 45p

corned beef hash serves 2

-------
    tin veg soup value 17p starter

bag value pasta 22p

tin toms 15p

tin kidney beans 17p

add oregano and chilli powder to tomatoes mix with pasta and kidney beans. main course

tin value rice pud. sweet 18p

90pence ;D
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,632Users online

Martin's Twitter