Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 10th Sep 05, 11:23 AM
    • 10,239 Posts
    • 16,854 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 10th Sep 05, 11:23 AM
    • 10th Sep 05, 11:23 AM
    Wow, best of luck! First question - have you got a big enough freezer to do lots of it in advance? I'd go for big dishes of chilli, meat & tattie pie, curry, pasta, etc. etc. (including at least one veggie alternative), and get it all made and frozen well beforehand, so you only have to do the accompaniments, salads, jacket spuds or whatever on the day.

What's your budget like too?
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 10th Sep 05, 11:26 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 10th Sep 05, 11:26 AM
    • 10th Sep 05, 11:26 AM
    Are you wanting to do a finger food buffet or serve hot food?
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 10th Sep 05, 12:22 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    • 10th Sep 05, 12:22 PM
    • 10th Sep 05, 12:22 PM
    I'd recommend doing big share dishes such as huge bowls of spicy rice, lots garlic bread, various salads and dips. or maybe cook one huge gammon joint as buffet centre piece?

buy some frozen puff pasty, preferabbly ready rolled for convience on party day and cut into little squares/circles and put a blob of pesto and 1/2 a cherry tom on top. Cook for 20mins. very cheap and tasty, serve hot with salads.

for such big numbers how about asking some people to bring food ( tell them what though!) rather than drink?

for desert:
    couple of huge gateaux. Lidl do lovely big choc mousse-y cake for about 3.49.

Don't think jacket spuds are a good idea as each person takes a whole one and probably only eats 1/2 yet you've still got people waiting to be fed, and whole oven is taken up with spuds so you can't heat up other stuff. No way can you micowave 75 spuds !

hth
    have a great party !

we moved house recently but am putting off party, much to my son's frustration, till we've ironed out finances.
    -
  • Lyndsay_21
    • 10th Sep 05, 12:30 PM
    • 10th Sep 05, 12:30 PM
    if the weathers nice why not have a bbq!!
    It can work out cheaper....and easier then pre making sandwhiches etc
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Sep 05, 12:32 PM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 48,475 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 10th Sep 05, 12:32 PM
    • 10th Sep 05, 12:32 PM
    I think for 100 people I would consider caterers, I know its probably not very money saving but just think of the time you will save in preparation, shopping and cleaning up after. My local caters do buffets that start at a couple of quid a head.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 10th Sep 05, 3:06 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    grunnie
    • 10th Sep 05, 3:06 PM
    • 10th Sep 05, 3:06 PM
    100 people -fed that amount a few times- You will need a very large house to put everyone. can you hire a local hall? I advise paper plates and disposable napkins -a visit to the pound shop for them. Keep the food simple so you're not rushed off your feet. I would cube lots of cheese have lots of crisps and dips french bread and cut up some cold pizzas cold quiche sausages etc. Don't have anything hot and have everything prepared well in advance so you can enjoy yourself.And don't forget the beer and wine ENJOY
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 10th Sep 05, 3:37 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 7,431 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    • 10th Sep 05, 3:37 PM
    • 10th Sep 05, 3:37 PM
    Check the library for the "Entertaining Cookbook" by Evelyn Rose. She gives recipes and quantities for catering for groups of fifty so you could easily double the amounts. Many of her recipes can be made in advance and frozen.
    • DSmiffy
    • By DSmiffy 10th Sep 05, 4:19 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    DSmiffy
    • 10th Sep 05, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Sep 05, 4:19 PM
    I'd do a couple of huge pans of hot pot and serve with sliced french stick bread and red cabbage and a couple of huge pans of curry with rice or jacket spuds & sliced naan bread. Leave it in the pans as help yourself and use "small" polystryrene dishes with plastic forks. that way no one takes too much and no washing up.
    • shykins
    • By shykins 11th Sep 05, 2:18 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 5,514 Thanks
    shykins
    snap i am feeding loads on my wedding day in a couple weeks.. also did similar for our engagement last year and it went down really well

am going to cook a whole load of chicken winglets (1.20 for 14) .. and chicken drumsticks (got these 1 off in cheap cabinet).. also going to buy some smoked salmon from lidl 1.99 a pack, that always makes it seem posh lol.. personally i hate the stuff

then am goin to make a load of salads and cut up some baguettes, cheese and pate and some dips, crisps, pringles (half price in wilkinsons) etc

u can prepare most of it the day before and leave on serving dishes in fridge.. on the day u just have to lay it out.. open crisps, cut bread and make salads

for puds am doing big jug of cream with profiteroles and strawberries]

Hope this helps
    • jockettuk
    • By jockettuk 11th Sep 05, 2:42 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,843 Thanks
    jockettuk
    Hi all

Having house warming party in about a fortnight, whats a good place for cheap catering or any ideas for stuff I can buy and cook
    by GingeG
    house warming for 100 people hope you got a big enough house because if the weather rubbish they will all be indoors..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,028Posts Today

6,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin