Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • rchddap1
    • 8th Sep 05, 2:10 PM
    • 8th Sep 05, 2:10 PM
    You lucky thing.

At least you'll get a chance to 'make' something with them. If it was me OH would hide them and much through them all.

You could make some jam
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • ET03
    • 8th Sep 05, 2:35 PM
    • 8th Sep 05, 2:35 PM
    has anyone a recipe for gosseberry jam
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Sep 05, 2:50 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 8th Sep 05, 2:50 PM
    • 8th Sep 05, 2:50 PM
    Gooseberry fool!

There's a fool of some description in the Old Style Recipe Collection because I used/adapted it less than a month ago and it was fabulous.

I used all the same instructions but put the goosegobs through a sieve before mixing them in.

Rhubarb Fool

I don't recall a recipe for gooseberry jam, though; sorry.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 8th Sep 05, 3:41 PM
    • 8th Sep 05, 3:41 PM
    Gooseberry Jam

If you have a pressure cooker you could halve the amount of water and cook them for about 5 minutes.
    I'd also put the sugar in a warm oven, with the jam jars while the gooseberries were cooking so the sugar was warm when added to the berries.
    I usually make this earlier than now (all my gooseberries are gone now) when the elderflowers are out and a couple of heads of elderflower cooked with them makes it a really muscat flavoured jam. (but it's still ok without)
    Last edited by Ted_Hutchinson; 08-09-2005 at 3:45 PM.
  • Chip_Butty
    • 25th Jun 06, 11:23 AM
    Gooseberries
    • 25th Jun 06, 11:23 AM
    Noticed some fruit on a tree & it looks as if its nearly ripe. Has anyone any ideas as to what to do with them once they are picked.
    Has anyone any recipes on what I can make with them ?

Cheers
    • L D N
    • By L D N 25th Jun 06, 11:27 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    L D N
    • 25th Jun 06, 11:27 AM
    • 25th Jun 06, 11:27 AM
    Are they def gooseberries? They grow on bushes. One good thing to do with them is use them as projectile weapons - hurt and go splat when hit, v. funny.

As for cooking with them, you can put them in a crumble with something with rhubarb, or berries - something to take tartness away (providing longer skirts won't do it in their case) as very sour. Hairy too if I remember rightly.

Can use them in recipes that you would use other berries for but I would always mix in something else to take some of flavour out.
  • black-saturn
    • 25th Jun 06, 12:36 PM
    • 25th Jun 06, 12:36 PM
    I really love gooseberries. Try to leave them on the bush as long as you can so they start to go pink, then they will be a bit sweeter. You can use diet lemonade instead of sugar to cook them in which is less calorific.
    • twink
    • By twink 25th Jun 06, 12:51 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    • 25th Jun 06, 12:51 PM
    • 25th Jun 06, 12:51 PM
    gooseberry fool

cook the berrys as above and sieve or puree and fold into custard and or whipped cream chill in the fridge
    • Aril
    • By Aril 26th Jun 06, 1:46 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    Make a lovely jam. I use the jam as a filling for a cake along with whipped double cream with 4tbsp of elderflower cordial added to it.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Try to leave them on the bush as long as you can so they start to go pink, then they will be a bit sweeter.
    by black-saturn
    This only works if you have a pheasant free garden or your gooseberries are behind netting. Any unprototected berries in our garden get stolen by the birds if left too long.
    Try putting a couple of heads of elderflower in with the goosegogs while you cook them, this adds a lovely wine aroma.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 26th Jun 06, 3:04 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Try putting a couple of heads of elderflower in with the goosegogs while you cook them, this adds a lovely wine aroma.
    by Ted_Hutchinson
    I can vouch for this-delicious.

If you've got an ice cream maker you can freeze a gooseberry fool mixture and make fabulous ice cream.
  • Chip_Butty
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I did a Google search for Gooseberry Jam & got side tracked, as you do & ended up making ...... Gooseberry Chutney.

Here is the recipe - 1Kg Gooseberries
    2 Medium Onions
    300g Sultarners or Currants
    1 tablespoon Salt
    1 litre Malt Vinegar
    500g Demerera Sugar
    2 Tblespoons of Ground Ginger
    1 Tespoon Mustard Seeds

I substituted the Demerera Sugar for Light Brown Sugar
    The same with the Vinegar. I used up some Pickling Vinegar, some vinegar left over once the pickles & beetroot have been eaten & some Malt Vinegar.

Got about 7 small pots & 4 larger pots of Chutney out of 1.75 Kg

Got the recipe from Waitrose.com
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 15th Jul 06, 6:29 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    newleaf
    Gooseberries...
    ...Twelve lovely pounds of them! Crumble, Fool, Jam, any other ideas? I'll be freezing most of them, I think, because....there are also two large Blackcurrant bushes groaning under the weght of their load (probably about twelve pounds of those too), so it will be Blackcurrant Jam tomorrow - and anything else? My Jam pan can only cope with about 6 - 8lbs of fruit at a time, so there will be plenty left.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • black-saturn
    Intead of adding loads of sugar to get the sourness away try boiling them in diet lemonade.
    • twink
    • By twink 15th Jul 06, 6:36 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    that sounds a great idea black-saturn, do you need to add any sugar at all or is it sweet enough?
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 15th Jul 06, 7:00 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Gooseberries are great for jam as they are high in pectin.Yesterday I made a dozen jars of gooseberry and raspberry jam.Gooseberries were free from my Mum and had been in my freezer for a couple of weeks.I bought the rasps from a farmshop(3 1/2 lb for 14 -would have been much cheaper to PYO)

3lbs gooseberries
    3 lbs raspberries
    6 lbs sugar
    1 pint of water

Put goosegogs in large pan (preserving pan ideally) with the water and cook gently for about 20 mins.
    Add the rasps,and cook for a few more mins until all fruit is soft.
    Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
    Bring to a rolling boil and boil steadily for 15 mins.
    Test a drop of jam on a cold saucer,if it wrinkles its ready.Boil again for another 5 mins until it reaches setting point(wrinkle stage).

Pot into warm,dry,sterilised jars.Sterilise them by washing in soapy water,rinsing and drying out in the oven at 100 degrees for about 20 mins.

You could easily replace the rasps with an equal quantity of gooseberries.And of course as the proportions are so straightforward you can reduce quantities.

Try cooking the goosegogs with some elderflowers(if there are still some about)tied in a handkerchief or muslin square.I wish I'd thought of doing that
  • black-saturn
    that sounds a great idea black-saturn, do you need to add any sugar at all or is it sweet enough?
    by twink
    Depends on how much of a sweet tooth you have but I don't usually add any extra sugar.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Although Gooseberries do freeze well and keep a couple of years without problems, they do take up freezer space and you still have to do something with them before you eat them.

I've bottled my spare ones this year. I used a method similar to This description but I didn't bother with kilner jars, (I'm short of glass disks if anyone knows where to find them) I re-used saved jars from Lidl's preserved peppers. (they are delicous) and some which had previously contained olives.

They seem to have sealed fine and they certainly look ok. One advantage of bottling is that the fruit is already cooked, so all you need to do to eat them is tip them out of the jar but they could go just as easily into a pie or crumble, and you don't have to defrost them. It's also handy to have some bottled fruit around as it makes a nice present as does gooseberry jam.
    If you've still got some elderflowers around a few heads in when you prepare your jam really gives a muscat flavour.
  • kittiwoz
    Gooseberries are good with mackrel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

541Posts Today

5,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin