Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Sep 05, 4:34 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 6th Sep 05, 4:34 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 4:34 PM
    got my organic box today what do i do with fennel and butternut squash
    by bonnie
    I've only really enjoyed fennel raw in salads and never had much success cooking with it.

Mind you - I'd never tried any of These Recipes so might well come back to them next time I have some fennel.

I have no idea what to do with a squashand there must be so many recipes out there to choose from that it makes it almost impossible to decide...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Noozan
    • 6th Sep 05, 4:42 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 4:42 PM
    Not sure about the fennel as I've never tried it before.

Butternut squash - peel, chop into chunks and roast along with potatoes etc if you are doing a roast.

Butternut squash soup - melt a knob of butter, add a finely chopped onion and cook for a few minutes on a low heat. Add squash cut into small chunks. Sweat for about 10 mins on low heat. Add about 100ml of milk and 500ml of veg stock. Simmer for 20 mins. Allow to cool slightly and then blitz down with hand blender or put in liquidiser. Swirl some cream over the top just before serving if you're feeling flush.

Seeds from squash can be toasted lightly and then eaten like sunflower seeds. Or dry some and plant them next year.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Lyndsay_21
    • 6th Sep 05, 4:53 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 4:53 PM
    i like 1/2 a roasted butternut squash, basically u cut it in 1/2 lengthways then score the flesh with a knife then put a little drizzle of oil over it cover it in foil and put in the oven for 45min, i would take the foil off for the last 20 mins to make it go all crispy round the edges yummy
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 6th Sep 05, 6:10 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 6th Sep 05, 6:10 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 6:10 PM
    You could try a Butternut squash and tomato soup that I posted here several months ago and is absolutely yummy!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 6th Sep 05, 6:35 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    • 6th Sep 05, 6:35 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 6:35 PM
    Butternut squash - peel, chop into chunks and roast along with potatoes etc if you are doing a roast.

by Noozan
    This is absolutely delicious! If not doing a roast, then as others have posted, drizzle some olive oil over and roast (we do it in chunks rather than halved).

Word of caution, the skin is *tough* and the last time I did it, the knife slipped, and we nearly had a slice of my finger to roast too!

Regards,

White.
  • Numptie
    • 6th Sep 05, 8:37 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 8:37 PM
    As shown above,the best way to bring out the flavour is to is to peal, dice and roast it in a little olive oil. Use in soups, risottos and curries. Used mine to bulkout a chicken curry, only add the roasted butternut squash for the last few minutes or it turns to pulp, you want to have chunks of squash left to bite into. Yummy!

Can you dry and eat the seads, as per pumpkin seads? :confused:
    Humans only use around forty percent of their brains capacity. Imagine what we could achieve if we used the other seventy percent!
  • bonnie
    • 6th Sep 05, 8:51 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 8:51 PM
    cheers everyone will keep me going
    • researcher
    • By researcher 6th Sep 05, 8:55 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    researcher
    • 6th Sep 05, 8:55 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 8:55 PM
    My favorite spicey soup uses butternut squash.

Remove the skin and seeds and cut the squash into chunks. Place into a roasting tin with a couple of onions, an orange (or red) pepper, as many garlic cloves as you like and a red chilli pepper. Sprinkle liberally with cumin (seeds or powder), salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Cover tightly with foil and roast slowly for about an hour. Take out of the oven and leave to cool without opening foil. After at least an hour remove skin and seeds from peppers and chili. (Don't rub your eyes etc). Put everything into a pan and add either some homemade stock or some made up from a cube and if you have some - saffron. Blitz or liquidise adding enough liquid so as soup is as thick as you prefer. The colour will be amazing and the taste, deep, rich and delicious. The texture should be like silk. Freezes well too.

The fennel is delicios with fish, I slice it finely and saute it with onion and garlic and serve with fresh tuna. Don't chuck away the middle green bits - they're delicious too. Fennels also nice added to puy lentils.

Sounds like you've got a good veg box!
  • bonnie
    my box was good,potatoes,squash,carrots,mushrooms,tomatoes,pe pper,grapes,fennel.bananas,nectarines,apples,pears ,courgettes,marrow think thats it.
    • Becles
    • By Becles 6th Sep 05, 9:46 PM
    • 12,879 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    Becles
    Butternut squash - peel, de-seed and dice it. Boil it, then mash it when soft. My boys like it like that!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • frugalfairy
    I love butternut squash, it's so versatile. When I mash it (as per post above) I mash it with low fat soft cheese and lots of black pepper. Gorgeous

I also chop it into thin rounds, or you can cut it into 'chip' shapes (I'm too lazy) and roast it in the oven,with just a little oil until the edges are crisp and beginning to blacken (about 20 mins). I eat them like crisps or chips. Yum!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin