Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Badgergal
    Marinating globe artichokes - how?
    • 6th Sep 05, 11:11 AM
    Marinating globe artichokes - how? 6th Sep 05 at 11:11 AM
    I love tinned artichoke hearts or marinated artichoke leaves in oil etc. They go lovely on pizza and are nice and healthy...

But very expensive! Over a pound for a tin and even more if it is a posh one in flavoured oils. But I wouldn't have the first idea how to go about making my own, I see them on the market 3 for a 1 but wouldn't know where to begin chopping it up etc, whether to cook it first or preserve it raw..?

Anyone?

Ta
Page 1
    • Pal
    • By Pal 6th Sep 05, 12:10 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Pal
    • 6th Sep 05, 12:10 PM
    • 6th Sep 05, 12:10 PM
    I had a go at preparing globe artichokes on Sunday.

Apparently: you cut off the outer leaves and most of the stalk, then cut the top off so that you can see the purple flower inside. The insert a teaspoon into the flower and scoop out the hairy spiny bits. Then you peel the remainder of the stalk.

I think the idea is that you are left with the white solid bit in the middle which you then cook and eat (or eat in salad as I was attempting).

To be honest I gave up after about twenty minutes and threw the whole lot away and cooked something else. Expensive compost.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 7th Sep 05, 7:04 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 7th Sep 05, 7:04 AM
    • 7th Sep 05, 7:04 AM
    Yes - you need to be able to extract the heart or the base from a globe artichoke. There's no need to discard the leaves - you can eat them as normal. Usually, you would dip the leaves in a sauce like hollandaise, aioli etc. Only those parts of the artichoke attached to the base are eaten - the tips are generally too tough.

Back to the hearts (or bottoms!) - there's a step by step instruction at the foot of this page. You can reserve the leaves - no need to waste them.

Once prepared, drain them, and put them in a pan with 4 tblsp of lemon juice, 4 fl oz of white wine, 2 bay leaves, 2 tblsp of white wine vinegar and a clove of garlic. Lightly simmer for 10 mins, drain and transfer to a serving dish. Remove the choke, when cool enough to handle.

Mix 5 tblsp of olive oil, 2 tblsp of lemon juice and a crushed or chopped clove of garlic. Mix thoroughly and pour over artichokes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Last edited by Debt_Free_Chick; 07-09-2005 at 7:09 AM.
  • Badgergal
    • 7th Sep 05, 8:38 AM
    • 7th Sep 05, 8:38 AM
    Great, I knew the oldstylers would come through...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

393Posts Today

4,751Users online

Martin's Twitter