Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 5th Sep 05, 5:59 PM
    • 4,736Posts
    • 15,803Thanks
    r.mac
    how to make crumble
    • 5th Sep 05, 5:59 PM
    how to make crumble 5th Sep 05 at 5:59 PM
    Please can someone help me?

I have read lots about crumble recently - it's yummy afterall. But I have never made it myself. Can anyone tell me how to???? Not even got an idea about cooking times or heat?!

I have apples and the usual storecupboard bits and pieces. I'm looking to make enough for two portions.

I've had a look on teh recipe index (squeeky would be proud ) but can't see anything that helps.

All replies greatly appreciated.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
Page 1
  • samnmalc
    • 5th Sep 05, 6:09 PM
    • 5th Sep 05, 6:09 PM
    HI, use 2-3oz self raising
    2-3 oz marge
    sift with fingers till it goes breadcrumby and then add some sugar. Shove it on your base and Bobs your uncle!
    Last edited by samnmalc; 05-09-2005 at 6:11 PM.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 5th Sep 05, 6:11 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 5th Sep 05, 6:11 PM
    The basic crumble mix is half fat to flour and same amount of sugar, so for example you would use:

4oz SR flour
    2oz butter/marg
    2oz sugar

Rub the fat into the flour to give a breadcrumb texture and stir in the sugar. You can alter the mix slightly by adding a few rolled oats to make it crunchy; spices such as cinnamon or mixed spice which go well with apple/plums etc.

Put whatever fruit you're using into an oven proof dish and sprinkle over the crumble mix then bake at gas 5 (think it's 190C) for about 30 mins
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• aliasojo
    Not sure you'll appreciate this reply..........M&S do a lovely 'heaty up in a box' version.

Anyway, not sure you should be eating that?! Mmmmm apple crumble in training.
    Herman - MP for all!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 5th Sep 05, 6:15 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 5th Sep 05, 6:15 PM
    • 5th Sep 05, 6:15 PM
    damn, I've been caught!

oh well, just trying to save the apples from the bin lol!

but the box version sounds very appealing right now as up to my elbows in flour and have just got it all over the computer ooops!

PS - C-Q how come you know everything about cooking? You should open a cookery school!!! I'd sign up.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Sep 05, 6:57 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 5th Sep 05, 6:57 PM
    • 5th Sep 05, 6:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure there's a rhubard and strawberry crumble in the Sweets section of the Old Style Recipe Collection. Full instructions and it's very yummy indeed.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=454774&postcount=28

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • savvy
    • By savvy 5th Sep 05, 7:05 PM
    • 30,169 Posts
    • 46,857 Thanks
    savvy
    • 5th Sep 05, 7:05 PM
    • 5th Sep 05, 7:05 PM
    You can alter the mix slightly by adding a few rolled oats to make it crunchy; spices such as cinnamon or mixed spice which go well with apple/plums etc.

Put whatever fruit you're using into an oven proof dish and sprinkle over the crumble mix then bake at gas 5 (think it's 190C) for about 30 mins
    by Curry_Queen
    LOL I do that with the cinnamon and oats....................but also sprinkle a layer of bran over the top, then some brown sugar too!!

I bake the fruit for a bit first, hard fruit for longer and with more water than soft fruit. Oh and more cinnamon if its apples!!! YUM!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• Rikki
    • By Rikki 5th Sep 05, 7:09 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 5th Sep 05, 7:09 PM
    • 5th Sep 05, 7:09 PM
    No wonder I can't loose any weight. All these food suggestions,ideas and recipies to try.
    But what the hell I'm always full and happy.

My cooking apples will soon be ready so lots of apple pies and apple crumbles then.
    • Sweet Pea
    • By Sweet Pea 5th Sep 05, 7:12 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Sweet Pea
    • 5th Sep 05, 7:12 PM
    • 5th Sep 05, 7:12 PM
    I make mine like CQ's recipe except I use 6oz flour, 3 oz fat (marg or butter) and 1 1/2 oz sugar, its lovely if you use brown sugar.
    I like loads of crumble on top, but if there is any left over it freezes really well. You can get it out of the freezer and pour it straight over the fruit from frozen and bung in the oven until brown.

I dont know where Curry Queen learned to cook but I learned crumble at school, and pastry too. Most subjects I seemed to forget the minute I left school but cookery remained in my head for some reason. Useful though. :rolleyes:
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 5th Sep 05, 7:34 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    Well, thank you for all your replies. I've just scoffed it all and it was very yummy.

Lessons for next time:
    1. add a little water/juice to fruit and cook a little first
    2. Add more crumble topping
    3. don't eat all four portions in one go!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 5th Sep 05, 8:18 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I make mine like CQ's recipe except I use 6oz flour, 3 oz fat (marg or butter) and 1 1/2 oz sugar, its lovely if you use brown sugar.
    I like loads of crumble on top, but if there is any left over it freezes really well.
    by Sweet Pea
    Hehe I always make up 6oz of mix as I love a deep crumble topping too, but thought it might make me look greedy if I wrote out those quantities

Sorry r.mac I forgot to mention to cook the apples for a bit first also any other hard fruits like rhubarb etc, but soft fruits or tinned fruit can just be put straight in the oven to cook

I wish I did know how to cook everything, but I do love food and cooking, and like to try new things all the time, so basically pick it up as I go along. My mum was a good teacher and I could be found baking in the kitchen on a Sunday afternoon from the age of about 8
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• carol_a
    Talking of school recipes I've still got my domestic science recipes written down in a book and I use them a lot (I left school in 1971!) Russian fish pie is a favourite.
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 5th Sep 05, 11:18 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    in my wellies
    Rusian fish pie - when I get cheap fish at the market.
    Last edited by in my wellies; 03-06-2007 at 10:25 PM.
    • nicki
    • By nicki 6th Sep 05, 7:42 AM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 88,339 Thanks
    nicki
    I made a fruit crumble at the weekend and I used this recipe for the crumble for the first time. It was delicious :

(Taken from Just like Mother used to make by Tom Norrington-Davies, recipe for Rhubarb crumble)

100g / 3.5oz cold butter
    200g / 7oz plain flour
    25g / 1oz (about a handful) porridge oats
    100g / 3.5oz golden caster sugar

Rub the butter with the flour and oats until you have a very gravelly-looking mixture. Fold in the sugar.

Put crumble mixture ontop of the fruit and bake for 30-40 minutes (180C / 350F / Gas 4) or until the topping is golden brown.

----
    I left the oats out until I had mixed the rest of the ingrediants together and I added an extra sprinkle of sugar over the top before I put it in the oven
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 6th Sep 05, 8:39 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    Thanks Competitionscafe - what a great idea, using the digital camera.
    I've just got one and the things you can use it for seem endless.

Thanks - the pear and apple one looks delicious.
  • bluemoon
    As well as adding oats to the crumble (in fact my crumble topping is usually at least 50% oats!), you can also add chopped nuts, or even muesli.
  • bargainqueen
    Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm crumble.... yummy! Can someone please tell me why Mandarin crumble tastes disgustingly foul and bitter? I love crumble and make it all the time with any fruit but have tried mandarine crumble twice and it turns disgusting, bitter and awful Is it the fruit or the way I cook it?
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 6th Sep 05, 8:57 PM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 49,560 Thanks
    maryb
    I used to make crumble with a slightly higher proportion of butter than half the flour which is absolutely to die for - but I didn't mean it literally. As DH has high cholesterol crumble is now an occasional treat and I've cut back on the fat to flour ratio. However i find that sprinkling a bit of water on the crumble topping before baking helps bits to clump together and taste crunchy which counteracts any sawdust taste from making it with less fat
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 7th Sep 05, 7:57 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    ..............substitute 2oz of the flour for ground almonds when making apricot/peach or blackberry crumble. Delicious!!!

Greek yoghourt was just made to go with rhubarb crumble.IMHO, It's the perfect combination.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 7th Sep 05, 3:25 PM
    • 30,169 Posts
    • 46,857 Thanks
    savvy
    ..............substitute 2oz of the flour for ground almonds when making apricot/peach or blackberry crumble. Delicious!!!
    by Chris25
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm now THAT sounds good!!!!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

251Posts Today

3,321Users online

Martin's Twitter