Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    competitionscafe
    Homemade lamb meatballs / patties ?
    • 2nd Sep 05, 4:45 PM
    Homemade lamb meatballs / patties ? 2nd Sep 05 at 4:45 PM
    Okay, I have some lean minced lamb to use up - could make cottage pie...but also have a bag of coriander which needs using - so was thinking about making some sort of meatballs/ patties type of thing?

Maybe mix the mince with garlic, a few chillies, chopped coriander - should work no? Anything else I could/should add? Or anyone have a recipe? I could just make it up as I go along (experiment!) but if somebody has a tried and tested recipe that would be good.

One of my favourite recipes is a Nigel Slater one for pork meat patties (not really balls, more like mini burgers) with minced pork, chillies, lemon grass, garlic and a few other things - then shaped into little patties, pan fried and served in chicken stock with coriander, mint and chopped chillies - yummy!

So I was sorting of basing the idea on that but with lamb obviously and without the chicken stock and not really a Thai version (no lemongrass, etc) - so not really similar at all, but the same basic idea anyway!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
Page 1
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 2nd Sep 05, 6:53 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 2nd Sep 05, 6:53 PM
    • 2nd Sep 05, 6:53 PM
    Okay, I have some lean minced lamb to use up - could make cottage pie...but also have a bag of coriander which needs using - so was thinking about making some sort of meatballs/ patties type of thing?

Maybe mix the mince with garlic, a few chillies, chopped coriander - should work no? Anything else I could/should add? Or anyone have a recipe? I could just make it up as I go along (experiment!) but if somebody has a tried and tested recipe that would be good.
    by competitionscafe
    I think what you're planning would work quite well, with maybe the addition of a few breadcrumbs (optional) and a beaten egg to help bind the mixture together. I've made pork meatballs before, using coriander and chilli for flavouring and they were yummy, but afraid I don't have an exact recipe as it was a case of bunging in a bit of this and that until it felt/smelt right, and it worked out fine!

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out etc, and maybe you could make a note of ingredients used so we can try it too?
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• competitionscafe
    • 4th Apr 08, 1:11 AM
    • 4th Apr 08, 1:11 AM
    OOps, can't remember what happened with my balls...but I have some roqeufort (spelling??) cheese, some beef mince, might give cheesy beefy balls a go maybe a tomatoey sauce to go with it. Or I could try some beefy roquefort burgers......?
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Mrs Toxy
    • 4th Apr 08, 7:51 AM
    • 4th Apr 08, 7:51 AM
    I made these the other night for 2. It's a recipe for 4 but I halved it, hence the egg yolk!

250g lamb mince, 1/2 an onion, 1 clove garlic, 1 egg yolk and some breadcrumbs. It was meant to have parsley but I had none so I added rosemary instead. I fried them off for 5 mins then put them in a dish with 1 tin chopped toms, 1 chopped red chilli and the other half of the onion, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 200. Serve with spaghetti, lovely.

But equally if you just wanted to be quick you could use the same ingredients to make patties and fry/ grill them to eat as burgers.

sorry, I've just read that you have coriander that needs using. I would make burgers with coriander and maybe a bit of cumin, egg, breadcrumbs and onion.
    Last edited by Mrs Toxy; 04-04-2008 at 8:11 AM.
    • Becles
    • By Becles 4th Apr 08, 8:13 AM
    • 12,879 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    Becles
    • 4th Apr 08, 8:13 AM
    • 4th Apr 08, 8:13 AM
    My recipe: 500g lamb mince, a finely chopped onion, 2-3 slices of bread, an egg, 3-4 teaspoons of mint sauce. Whizz it all together in a food processor, then form into small burger shapes. Either griddle, fry or grill them.

Warm some pitta breads and fill with the burgers, salad and tzatiki.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Stephen Leak
    • 4th Apr 08, 8:34 AM
    • 4th Apr 08, 8:34 AM
    For HM burgers, I just squeeze the minced meat really, really hard into a ball (Just think of someone who's annoyed you as you do it!) and then re-shape it into the proper shape. With burgers, the secret is to make them chunky: if you make them too thin, the edges cook too quickly.

I'd only add beaten egg if the mince was so lean it wasn't holding together. I'd only add breadcrumbs if I'd added too much egg. IMHO, the whole point of making HM burgers and meatballs is not to adulterate them, like the purchased ones.

Obviously, additions for flavour, like herbs (inc. mint with lamb), spices, chilli, etc. are fine. If you like onion, add some, but don't add it indiscriminately.
    Last edited by Stephen Leak; 04-04-2008 at 8:48 AM.
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 4th Apr 08, 10:06 AM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    • 4th Apr 08, 10:06 AM
    • 4th Apr 08, 10:06 AM
    For HM burgers, I just squeeze the minced meat really, really hard into a ball (Just think of someone who's annoyed you as you do it!) and then re-shape it into the proper shape. With burgers, the secret is to make them chunky: if you make them too thin, the edges cook too quickly.

I'd only add beaten egg if the mince was so lean it wasn't holding together. I'd only add breadcrumbs if I'd added too much egg. IMHO, the whole point of making HM burgers and meatballs is not to adulterate them, like the purchased ones.

Obviously, additions for flavour, like herbs (inc. mint with lamb), spices, chilli, etc. are fine. If you like onion, add some, but don't add it indiscriminately.
    Originally posted by Stephen Leak

I find they hold together much better with egg and breadcrumbs. I know what you mean about making them 100% meat but they fall apart in my experince so I don't mind adulterating them with natural ingredients.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

67Posts Today

2,050Users online

Martin's Twitter