Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 29th Jan 08, 7:58 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should Angie share her MEAF money with Den?
    • 29th Jan 08, 7:58 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should Angie share her MEAF money with Den? 29th Jan 08 at 7:58 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Angie share her MEAF money with Den?

Den and Angie were married for 17 years, until Den skipped off with their treasured poodle Roly. As they moved from pub to pub, they’ve had a lot of mortgages and Angie being a MoneySaver has been doing her MEAF Reclaiming. All in all she’s got £350 back… yet these were joint properties with Den and they ran the businesses together… should she give him half.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 29-01-2008 at 8:55 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • suzithefloozy
    • 30th Jan 08, 8:24 AM
    • 30th Jan 08, 8:24 AM
    Hell no!!! If he's run off with the poodle then he's foregone his right to any of that money IMO. Besides, Angie sounds like she's done all the work to get the money back in the first place. If I were Angie, I'd wave it in his face and then go and treat myself to some clothes, chocolate and a new 'do (or maybe go and get another poodle?)
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!!

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none!
    • Corona
    • By Corona 30th Jan 08, 8:47 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Corona
    • 30th Jan 08, 8:47 AM
    • 30th Jan 08, 8:47 AM
    Legally he's probably equally entitled to the money, but legally she's equally entitled to the poodle!

I agree with previous poster - keep the money and buy herself a new poodle (less trouble than a husband ... only joking!)
  • harryhound
    • 30th Jan 08, 1:01 PM
    Nothing like finding a nit and then having a good pick
    • 30th Jan 08, 1:01 PM
    When a household breaks up it is amazing the bad feeling that can focus on the trivial.
    I'm thinking of a death where the "on hand" niece took control of the dead aunt's tortoise and the other niece wanted it!

The joy of money is that a price can be put on most things.

Half that money belongs to the husband, now is the time to negotiate the "value" of the poodle. Get a receipt.

Harry

I recon he ran off with the barmaid; would a poodle fancier have got married in the first place?
    Is it just me or is there a tendency for women to get more fixated about "things" in these circumstances: jewellery, ornaments, paintings, even plants in the garden?

"Angie sounds like she's done all the work to get the money back in the first place."
    What work would that be? Ive seen it demonstrated on a Wednesday evening TV programme; seems it takes about 10 minutes
    Last edited by harryhound; 30-01-2008 at 1:04 PM.
    • Marisan
    • By Marisan 30th Jan 08, 2:51 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Marisan
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:51 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:51 PM
    No,Angie should keep the money.She did all the work to get it back,and Den sounds like a bit of a waste of space.

He'd probably only squander the money on women and booze anyway. The poodle will be back when the prime meaty chunks get replaced by leftover kebab.
    .Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • RabbitMad
    • 30th Jan 08, 5:24 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 5:24 PM
    He'd probably only squander the money on women and booze anyway.
    Originally posted by Marisan
    I wouldn't call that squandering!
    • JayD
    • By JayD 30th Jan 08, 6:14 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    • 30th Jan 08, 6:14 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 6:14 PM
    Sadly I think she should give him half. Hopefully she will get s sense of satisfaction at taking the moral high ground.
  • thecraftybear
    • 30th Jan 08, 6:30 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 6:30 PM
    Nah, keep the money in a savings acct until he twigs to the ruse and asks for half of it. If he never asks, win-win.
    Striving down south to stay northern and tight!
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 30th Jan 08, 6:47 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 30th Jan 08, 6:47 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 6:47 PM
    She should keep it. Sod Den he got the dog!!!!
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 30th Jan 08, 7:42 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    I absolutely agree with the craftybear! Win win. There's enough disadvantages to women upon divorce, lets even things up abit but still cover your back! Sorry folks, feeling cynical today!
    Last edited by flossy_splodge; 30-01-2008 at 7:43 PM. Reason: spelling!

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden
  • Ephemera
    She did the work, she should keep the money!
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• newmum1
    • By newmum1 31st Jan 08, 9:04 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 5,629 Thanks
    newmum1
    No he shouldn't get any of the money, what he doesn't know cant hurt him! And its not a major amount is it so why bother!!
    Current Debts :
    Car £2935.90
    Student Loan £3850.00
  • djbd1973
    This is bugging me and I know its a sily question but I have to ask -

What is MEAF and what does it stand for?

I must have stepped out the room for a fag when MEAF was introduced.
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
  • djbd1973
    This is bugging me and I know its a sily question but I have to ask -

What is MEAF and what does it stand for?

I must have stepped out the room for a fag when MEAF was introduced.
    Originally posted by djbd1973

Ignore me - I just saw the link on the weekly email. Still I have to be a pratt at least part of the day as it keeps me sain. Sorry
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
  • alia_kel_aderon
    Of course he's entitled to the money. I can't believe how many of you think she should be devious and underhand.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and how do you know she wasn't a nightmare to live with which is why he left?

Money matters have nothing to do with emotional issues.

(But I'd get the poodle back!)

Jennie
  • Tomar
    The joke might have just gone way over my head, but what does some poodle have to do with anything?

The money is as much his as it is hers. I'm sure if suddenly things cost more she'd want some money from him. He's entitled to half, or whatever proportion of work he put into their business.
  • Boonbetty
    He is entitled to half - the poodle is a different issue.
  • stogiebear
    He is entitled to half of all the money that he asks for and none of the money that he doesn't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin