Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 26th Aug 05, 8:29 AM
    • 26th Aug 05, 8:29 AM
    The outer husk of the sprout contains valuable fibre, is not unpleasant and I always eat it.

If you don't like the look of it then you can let the sprout grow a little longer till the husk is shed and then place sprouts in a large jug and put under running cold water tap. If you get the flow rate right the husks will come floating off and the sprout get well rinsed.
    You may also find putting the sprouts in a large bowl of water allowing them to stand a bit then lifting the sprouts out with a perforated spoon leaves some husks on the bottom.

However If you leave the husks with the sprout you will be sure you are getting all the nutritional benefits from the seed/grain.
  • apple_mint
    • 26th Aug 05, 9:06 AM
    • 26th Aug 05, 9:06 AM
    Thanks Ted, I think I'll try keeping the husks as I want to get as much goodness as I can from the sprout. Thank you for the quick response. Growing the sprouts appears to be so easy I'm going to try some different beans as well.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 26th Aug 05, 9:10 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 26th Aug 05, 9:10 AM
    • 26th Aug 05, 9:10 AM
    Alfalfa is a lovely one to grow and eat, it's even quicker than the mung beans - I was given a Lakeland sprouter set as a pressie and it's very easy to use, they suggest that the 'spent' water that drips down to the bottom is good for houseplants
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 26th Aug 05, 9:55 AM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 26th Aug 05, 9:55 AM
    • 26th Aug 05, 9:55 AM
    I haven't grown these since I was a kid, but a far as I can remember, we used to eat all of the bits. Never did us any harm!

HTH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

1,324Users online

Martin's Twitter