Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Loadsabob
    • 24th Aug 05, 9:42 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 9:42 AM
    I'm not too sure about the toxins in the skins of kidney and some other beans...

This site includes slow cooker in its variety of ways to cook with dried pulses: http://www.pulsecanada.com/cgi-bin/pulse.pl/health/nutrition/cooking

But it doesn't really spell it out...

I definitely find the dried to be cheaper. Also lighter to carry, and more true to their real taste. For example, chick peas taste just of chick-peas, but the ones in tins often taste like brine, to me...I'm sure I've had them in plain water and they still taste that way...

I'm in the process of stocking up my dried stuff - aduki beans acquired, off to look for some recipes!
  • Badgergal
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:13 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:13 AM
    Chickpeas are one of my faves - do you have to boil them or just soak?

I know some beans can be toxic without proper cooking, which is why I was afraid to experiment. Where do you get your dried stuff from? I see Holland and Barrett do it, but they are not always the cheapest.

That link suggests they can be put in a slow cooker, but I agree it is a little vague.
    • se999
    • By se999 24th Aug 05, 10:17 AM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:17 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:17 AM
    Hi,

Here's the link to the UK Vegetarian society pulses page. It says which pulses you have problems with regarding toxins, and what to do with them to make them safe, hope it clears it up:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pulses.html
    • ashmit
    • By ashmit 24th Aug 05, 10:27 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    ashmit
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:27 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:27 AM
    For the proper info, I can recommend this site from the Food Standards Agency for info on kidney and soya beans. Soya beans don't seem to be worth the trouble - wish someone had told me before I bought a bag *sigh*

Kidney beans are available for 11p from lidl - I don't think it would be cheaper to soak and cook them. But I get dried chickpeas - they need to be cooked for 1-1.5 hours, but you can do a whole batch at once and freeze them so no need to do it regularly. Sure this would also be cheaper.
  • Badgergal
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:29 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:29 AM
    "Slow cookers: Pulses must be soaked and boiled for 10 minutes before being added to a slow cooker, as they do not reach sufficiently high temperatures to destroy the toxins. "

That's pretty conclusive, I guess that includes chickpeas etc. Interestingly it also states that canned stuff has more nutrients. Hopefully dried stuff still has all the protein though?

Ta!
  • Badgergal
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:30 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:30 AM
    A!!!!! - freezing is a fab idea thanks! Will also have a look at that site.
    • se999
    • By se999 24th Aug 05, 10:35 AM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:35 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:35 AM
    I must admit after reading the vegetarian society pulses bit and also one of Ted Hutchinsons posts on using pressure cookers for jam making/preserves, I think I might get out my old pressure cooker instead of going for a slow cooker - unless I find a bargain at a carboot
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 24th Aug 05, 10:42 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:42 AM
    • 24th Aug 05, 10:42 AM
    "Slow cookers: Pulses must be soaked and boiled for 10 minutes before being added to a slow cooker, as they do not reach sufficiently high temperatures to destroy the toxins. "

That's pretty conclusive, I guess that includes chickpeas etc. Interestingly it also states that canned stuff has more nutrients. Hopefully dried stuff still has all the protein though?

Ta!
    by Badgergal
    As I remember rightly, that quote is badly written on the original page and actually only refers to kidney and soya beans. To the best of my knowledge all other beans are not toxic and simply benefit from a ten minute boil to help them to cook properly in a slow cooker.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • lifesachallenge
    I buy bags of beans and pulses from Morrisons - V. cheap, but am rarely prepared enough to soak overnight so end up buying tinned from Co-OP!

I think they are about 80p a bag
    • Flimber
    • By Flimber 24th Aug 05, 10:51 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Flimber
    Firstly, the Smartprice Red Kidney Beans in Asda are about 13p/tin and are now only in water (no sugar and salt added) which used to be a premium you paid for !

And while we're on the subject, I soaked some Yellow Split Peas overnight just as yer supposed to do but the night in question was Monday. So the question is this: is 'oversoaking' safe ? They've had three changes of Filtered water.

Thanks,
    Mike.
  • Badgergal
    Thanks for clearing that up squeaky, I was confused by the slight inconsistency there, where it first spoke about kidney beans etc then claimed all pulses needed to be boiled for 10 mins...I hate it when stuff is unclear like that, it drives me loopy...

Are the dried beans in Morrison's etc near all the curry pastes and stuff? There is a Morrisons near my workplace but stuff is not always arranged in a logical way (to my mind!)
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 24th Aug 05, 11:12 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    It took me aback a moment or two when I first read it. If you then go back and read it being fairly sure that not all pulses are poisonous it looks different. Just badly written.

As for Morrisons - dunno miss
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • henhog
    I tend to use tinned beans (value ones) because I don't tend to be organised enough to plan in advance to soak dried ones. I know OH does cook dried beans in the pressure cooker very successfully and he always says these taste better (but then again, he would!) In a lot of things, like a sausage casserole for instance, I just chuck in a tin or two of value baked beans, no matter what beans are specified. Not very sophisticated, I know but it does the trick for a family meal.
  • raeble

And while we're on the subject, I soaked some Yellow Split Peas overnight just as yer supposed to do but the night in question was Monday. So the question is this: is 'oversoaking' safe ? They've had three changes of Filtered water.

Thanks,
    Mike.
    by Flimber
    I oversoaked some butter beans, the only problem I found was they started sprouting. Not really a problem - apparently sprouting beans have more nutrients? As I'm still alive to tell the tale I wouldn't say there was much of a problem with it. I wouldn't leave it forever in the water though, just a couple of days.
  • Loadsabob
    Chickpeas are one of my faves - do you have to boil them or just soak?
    by Badgergal
    I adore chickpeas, too. I soak them overnight (though the pack says five hours), then put them on to boil when I get in from work the night I'm going to use them. They're supposed to cook for an hour, so I get them boiling first, then add them later to whatever it is I'm cooking them in (usually something bunged together wither peppers, tomatoes and lots of black pepper and cumin. Served with brown rice! Now I'm just making myself hungry! I love chickpeas!
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 24th Aug 05, 2:23 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Dried pulses are almost certainly cheaper. Look at the price per 100g compared with tinned.

Also, consider that tinned have additives - often sugar and/or salt and water. You are paying for that - and paying for the "convenience" of having it tinned and ready to use.

Asian supermarkets are a great source for OS dried pulses at OS prices
    • Flimber
    • By Flimber 24th Aug 05, 5:27 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Flimber
    I oversoaked some butter beans, the only problem I found was they started sprouting. Not really a problem - apparently sprouting beans have more nutrients? As I'm still alive to tell the tale I wouldn't say there was much of a problem with it. I wouldn't leave it forever in the water though, just a couple of days.
    by raeble
    I cooked them anyway...and then went off to do something else. About an hour later I was alerted by a strange, sweet, sickly smell that I'd forgotten about them...

The question now is how do I clean this black stuff off the bottom of my stainless steel pan before 'she' sees it ? :rolleyes:

Mike.
  • Badgergal
    I am definitely making a trip to Tooting close by to me, it's a very Asian area and my soapmaking friend assures me they sell huge amounts of bicarb and vinegar etc, so I'll be sure to get my pulses etc from there too! Asian shops are incredibly handy aren't they!

Flimber, if it makes you feel any better, I boiled two eggs dry for the first time ever the other day...got all involved in decluttering drawers in the other room! Luckily the black stuff came off the saucepan...!
  • Loadsabob
    The question now is how do I clean this black stuff off the bottom of my stainless steel pan before 'she' sees it ? :rolleyes:
    Mike.
    by Flimber
    Ooh, over to the cleaning thread!! My boyfriend won't even use my steamer now, because he boiled it black when doing some potatoes. I've tried to tell him, it won't wreck stainless steel, but he's too nervous now!... I've done it myself, I think I soaked it overnight in bicarb before using a soft scourer. Came off like a dream.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,609Posts Today

5,969Users online

Martin's Twitter