Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 29th Oct 04, 6:03 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 29th Oct 04, 6:03 PM
    Re: what can I do with Brisket?
    • 29th Oct 04, 6:03 PM
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=brisket+recipe&btnG=Google+ Search&meta=

or this one for a more uk feel

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=brisket+recipe&btnG=Search& amp;meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

• vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 29th Oct 04, 6:11 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 29th Oct 04, 6:11 PM
    • 29th Oct 04, 6:11 PM
    how much in weight have you got?
  • Jay-Jay
    • 29th Oct 04, 7:00 PM
    • 29th Oct 04, 7:00 PM
    Thanks van,

I'll have a look at those, I've got just over 1kg.

I did a google search but just wondered if anyone here had a tried and tested recipe x
    • MATH
    • By MATH 29th Oct 04, 8:40 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 29th Oct 04, 8:40 PM
    • 29th Oct 04, 8:40 PM
    I always use brisket instead of top side. It's cheaper and has more flavour IMO. I either slo-cook it for about 8/10hrs with a pint of stock in the crock which I later thicken to make gravy or I slam it in the oven (Uncovered) at 230c for 1/2 hr to give it some colour then pour over 1pt stock & cover and cook at 160c for 2-3hrs then thicken the stock to make gravy.

Leftovers are great to pop in a casserole the next day with homemade dumplings.
  • Jay-Jay
    • 29th Oct 04, 11:17 PM
    • 29th Oct 04, 11:17 PM
    Thanks MATH,

I haven't got a slow cooker so I'll put it in the oven. That's the kind of advice that I was looking for as I wasn't sure of cooking times and whether to put liquid in or cover it over.

As for leftovers, there isn't usually much left in our house :-/

• cathy
    • 3rd Nov 04, 1:59 AM
    • 3rd Nov 04, 1:59 AM
    brisket is lovely in the oven try to stand it on a wire rack in the dish or grill pan with water underneath so it doesnt dry out cover it and cook slowly

if not just cook it slowly
    and it will be lovely

or throw the lot in a casserole dish with some onions and carrots and veggies water and cook slowly in the oven for about 3 to 4 hours take the brisket out half way through put it on a plate and cut it up into small chunks then put it back in the dish to cook

lovely
    • tiff
    • By tiff 8th Mar 05, 11:45 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 8th Mar 05, 11:45 AM
    Have you cooked brisket?
    • 8th Mar 05, 11:45 AM
    I bought some of this this week as I'm trying to buy different things every week that I havent used before. It was 3 something and I plan to use the slow cooker. What should I add to make a nice gravy/sauce?
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 8th Mar 05, 11:52 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 8th Mar 05, 11:52 AM
    • 8th Mar 05, 11:52 AM
    I've bought a nice piece of brisket too. Last time I just bunged it in slow-cooker with some stock (oxo) and maybe some sliced onions and left it on low all day. Thicken your juices at end with cornflour - either remove joint, add flour in cooker and leave lid off whilst letting it cook, or put juices in pan and thicken conventionally.

I don't bother adding too much else to the stock as I like mine to be really meaty. Only other thing I might consider would be mushrooms.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Mar 05, 12:01 PM
    • 12,100 Posts
    • 32,365 Thanks
    suki1964
    I dont have a slow cooker so do mine in a huge casserole in the oven.
    I seal it first then bung it in with swede, celery,onions, carrots and large mushrooms, a bay leaf and whole peppercorns, and enough water with a dash of mushroom ketchup and a splash of worcester sauce to come half way up the meat.

When its cooked I strain the liquid into a saucepan and reduce it down then whisk in a a roue of butter and flour to thicken it- delicious

I like whole peppercorns but they can be a bit hot for some tastes so if your family dont like them either pick them out or just use ground pepper
  • Caz2
    Hi
    I would put in a can of guinness/stout/bitter whatever you have in cupboard. Worchester sauce, soya sauce, S&P, mushrooms, onions,oxo cube, a bit of water and whatever herbs you have and bay leaves. Good luck
    • tiff
    • By tiff 8th Mar 05, 12:57 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Thanks for your help, I'll try it in all the different ways eventually. I have a couple of cans of bitter left over from Christmas so I think I'll use that up this time round. This is for tomorrow nights tea.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
  • fazer6
    I did it on sunday and am eating beef sandwiches this week! All I did was chop up some swedes, cover with water and bung the brisket on top, nothing fancy at all. I got mine from the butcher and there was loads of meat and it was lovely quality.
  • archived user
    Look what i found on the old board.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 8th Mar 05, 3:20 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Thanks Judi, a few more ideas there too
    • toozie
    • By toozie 8th Mar 05, 10:11 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    Still eating the brisket I cooked in the slow cooker on Saturday, large one bought reduced from Lidl (3.50)

Saturday- we had a sort of Sunday dinner brisket!
    Sunday -out most of the day, so made a stir fry with chopped brisket etc
    Monday-salad with brisket!
    Tuesday-curried brisket!
    The last is going on my sarnies in the morning for work, with loads of mustard!!!

The challenge, is how long can you make a brisket last?????
    • tiff
    • By tiff 9th Mar 05, 7:40 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Well it turned out really well! Threw in a can of beer, worcestershire sauce, mushroom ketchup (new one on me) bay leaves, carrots, onions and celery. Made a lovely gravy out of the juices and carved up the meat. It was fab, I hardly ever buy beef because it has always turned out tough. My husband couldnt get over it, it was that nice.

I looked for Brisket in Lidls today but didnt see any. Still have some left for sandwiches but it was only a small one so theres not much left. How much does a butcher sell it for?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Mar 05, 12:23 AM
    • 12,100 Posts
    • 32,365 Thanks
    suki1964
    Well it turned out really well! Threw in a can of beer, worcestershire sauce, mushroom ketchup (new one on me) bay leaves, carrots, onions and celery. Made a lovely gravy out of the juices and carved up the meat. It was fab, I hardly ever buy beef because it has always turned out tough. My husband couldnt get over it, it was that nice.

I looked for Brisket in Lidls today but didnt see any. Still have some left for sandwiches but it was only a small one so theres not much left. How much does a butcher sell it for?
    by tiff
    Brisket is one of my favourite cuts of beef, plenty of flavour and the long slow cooking makes it so tender that even kids (and parents with no teeth)who dont/wont/cant chew eat it without a fuss

I always use mushroom ketchup as gravy in stews as I find stock cubes are too salty since I started to cut out salt. Look out for it on the reduced/end of range shelves and stock up when you find it, got my last batch at safeways for 30p a bottle.

It should be pretty cheap at a butchers, we dont have a butchers so i pick it up in the longer vac pack rolls that supermarkets do and cut it into smaller joints for freezing
    • tiff
    • By tiff 10th Mar 05, 11:13 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I looked for brisket in Tesco today but they didnt have any. I bought mine in Asda but they only had small joints. Will have to try a butchers which I keep saying I'm going to do. Would you believe I've never ever bought meat in a butchers? Shameful really.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 10th Mar 05, 11:15 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Brisket is one of my favourite cuts of beef, plenty of flavour and the long slow cooking makes it so tender that even kids (and parents with no teeth)who dont/wont/cant chew eat it without a fuss

I always use mushroom ketchup as gravy in stews as I find stock cubes are too salty since I started to cut out salt. Look out for it on the reduced/end of range shelves and stock up when you find it, got my last batch at safeways for 30p a bottle.

It should be pretty cheap at a butchers, we dont have a butchers so i pick it up in the longer vac pack rolls that supermarkets do and cut it into smaller joints for freezing
    by suki1964
    I thought the Kallo range of stock cubes were meant to be low salt, but when I checked them today in Tesco there was no difference in the sodium level to Oxo brand.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,492Posts Today

7,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin