Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 23rd Aug 05, 11:03 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great "Cheapest Legal Music Downloads" Hunt.
    • 23rd Aug 05, 11:03 AM
    0 WOW
    The Great "Cheapest Legal Music Downloads" Hunt. 23rd Aug 05 at 11:03 AM
    Update 2010: New Tool to replace this.

MSE's new website - www.tunechecker.com

Use it to
    Compare cheap MP3 download prices for singles and albums

17 June 2009: Update from MoneySavingExpert.com

The hunt below was first carried out in August 2005; four years on and music downloads are ever more popular, AND more competitive, with an increasing number of online outlets touting for your custom. So we want to tap MoneySavers' brains about any new cheap download sites

Back to the original hunt...

-----------------

This week Tesco entered the market charging 79p for singles downloads. Yet there are many other ways to do it. So I'm tapping MoneySavers collective knowledge to find the cheapest and best legal ways.

What about file sharing?

Now let me emphasise we're talking legal ways. While file sharing is legal if the files aren't copyrighted, it is often an illegal system and I'd prefer we didn't go into it here. (Let's be honest music firms are highly litigious about these things, and I'd hate the whole site to suffer on the back of this).

So on to the hunt. Please click reply to enter your finds. The link for Tesco is below.

Tesco Music Downloads*

*Affiliated Link to external services. Click via this link and a contribution is made to MoneySavingExpert.com, which helps it stay ad-free, sponsorship-free and free to use. This in no way impacts any editorial decisions (what I write), costs you anything or changes the product. For an identical link which doesn’t help the site go to www.tesco.com. For more on how it works and the site’s non-profit driven ethical and financial policy read this.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 05-02-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Rex_Mundi
    • By Rex_Mundi 23rd Aug 05, 11:30 AM
    • 5,361 Posts
    • 4,489 Thanks
    Rex_Mundi
    • 23rd Aug 05, 11:30 AM
    • 23rd Aug 05, 11:30 AM
    All of these links are completely free and completely legal.

http://www.vitaminic.co.uk/main Thousands of free tracks from more than 20,000 artists and 600 labels available.

http://www.download.com I've been using this site for years now, and only just discovered they offer 1000s of free tracks to download. Click the music button on the left.

http://www.peoplesound.com/ Tens of thousands of free downloads available on this site.

http://efolkmusic.org/ As the site name suggests. Loads of folk music on this site for free.

If you are interested in a particular artist/band. It is also worth having a look at their fan site. Sometimes the band/artist will offer one or two tracks for free download.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 31-08-2005 at 12:25 PM.
  • Sam4free
    • 23rd Aug 05, 1:25 PM
    Bollywood Music
    • 23rd Aug 05, 1:25 PM
    For people interested in Bollywood / Hindi Music, there is now a site that offers legal downloads with a reasonable selection at really low fees of US$ 0.69 per track.

I have been using the site for a while without any problems.

visit : www.crimsonbay.com

Hope that helps
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 31-08-2005 at 12:26 PM.
  • ghbradshaw
    • 23rd Aug 05, 5:19 PM
    • 23rd Aug 05, 5:19 PM
    Woolworths downloads are 59p each, and they have a good selection too!

www.woolworths.co.uk
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 31-08-2005 at 12:48 PM.
  • cosmile
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:19 PM
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:19 PM
    i am quite new to it and i did not realise....sorry
  • wirm
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:21 PM
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:21 PM
    Well the title 'Legal' is a bit of a give-away!
  • cosmile
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:23 PM
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:23 PM
    people do make mistakes,nobodys perfect,i dont think i will bother posting anymore,only trying to help ppl,and i honestly did not know.
    • pin
    • By pin 23rd Aug 05, 7:40 PM
    • 4,205 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    pin
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:40 PM
    • 23rd Aug 05, 7:40 PM
    Russian sites are legal in Russia, doesn't mean they are legal in the UK. Actually no-one knows at present (not even the legal community) whether they are legal or not in the UK. It would be better to err on the side of caution on this one in my opinion (that is for the site).

Personally I use one of the Russian sites.
  • pultok
    • 23rd Aug 05, 10:17 PM
    • 23rd Aug 05, 10:17 PM
    OK... Maybe no need to go through the whole Russian debate again. Here's the link to the last thread on it where it was fully debated - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=35483 . Also, this thread ran for ages without being locked or worrying the legal people here...
    • richto
    • By richto 23rd Aug 05, 11:59 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    richto
    Russian sites are legal in Russia, doesn't mean they are legal in the UK. Actually no-one knows at present (not even the legal community) whether they are legal or not in the UK. It would be better to err on the side of caution on this one in my opinion (that is for the site).

Personally I use one of the Russian sites.
    by pin
    Actually yes it does mean they are legal in the UK, in that music you download is considered legally licensed for personal use, and you cant legally be prevented from purchasing in this way. This is because of the Berne convention as administered by the WIPO, and WTO requirements.

I quote "...any country that is a signatory of the convention is awarded the same rights in all other countries that are signatories to the Convention as they allow their own nationals, as well as any rights granted by the Convention"

The pigopolist record companies dont like it because it cuts them out of the loop - the money paid for licences goes directly to artists! Therefore they do a 'Bush' and lie through their teeth even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary in the hope that you believe them and use their preferred overpriced and DRM crippled services.
  • MSE Controller2
    While there is still debate over the legalities of the Russian MP3 sites, it is in the best interest of the site and posters if we refrain from recommending them at present.

Regards
    • richto
    • By richto 24th Aug 05, 11:47 AM
    • 761 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    richto
    I have not seen any question over the legality of these sites since the Russian police confirmed that they were legally licensed under Russian law in March this year.

http://news.com.com/Legal+reprieve+for+Russian+MP3+site/2100-1027_3-5602743.html

Much to the annoyance of the IFPI.
    Last edited by richto; 24-08-2005 at 12:00 PM.
    • Fran
    • By Fran 24th Aug 05, 1:57 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    I have not seen any question over the legality of these sites since the Russian police confirmed that they were legally licensed under Russian law in March this year.
    by richto
    I think the point here though is that we have been politely asked not to mention those sites which includes debating the legalities as this thread is for music downloads that are definitely legal.

It would be a shame to lose this thread because of too many comments about sites which have a legal question mark over them and the comments that they then provoke.
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
  • gorilla
    Alright, so we're not allowed to mention the cheapest 'legal' sites. So back to topic.
    I don't think the music downloads sites are good value, especially when you consider the sound quality of the download.

I have not been able to find any cheaper than woolies, although I don't think anyone will. Monopoly, Cartel ring any bells. It's like buying a CD on the high street - total rip off.
  • crispyduck
    Try these guys loads of free downloads
    I stumbled over this web site after trying to track down some guys who played at The Big Chill in Ledbury a few weekends ago, can sometime take a little while to go onto as it seems pretty popular and they have a lot of stuff even your kids won't have heard of!!!!!!

www.epitonic.com

Enjoy and as far as I have been able to ascertain this is all completely legal in the download department.

B
    Last edited by crispyduck; 24-08-2005 at 4:28 PM. Reason: spelling idiot boy
    Tips are good, tips are good, you know that tips are good!
  • mandycl35
    music downloads
    MYMUSICINC.COM you pay $17.00 for a years subscription.and it is legal
  • cashless
    The US Amazon site offers free downloads. You can use a UK signon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/468646/ref=m_mh_mn_dd/102-4836633-6699360
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 31-08-2005 at 12:27 PM.
    • JK
    • By JK 25th Aug 05, 2:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JK
    The best deal of all has to be Emusic.com. They have a 50 free downloads trial offer. You simply sign up to their minimum package which is 9.99USD per month, download your 50 free tracks and cancel before you have to pay a penny (or should that be cent?).

Basically they don't take the first payment until you've downloaded the freebies and then decided to continue with the paid subscription. It's all absolutely legitimate, perfectly legal (copyright paid) and all the MP3's are encoded to VBR (variable bitrate), which is as near to CD quality as it gets.

They tend to have mainly independents and less known artists, plus some older stuff, but hey you're bound to find 50 songs you like and you can hear 30 second samples before you decide to download. They're very good for jazz and new age stuff. I've been a member for over a year.

http://www.emusic.com/promo.html
    • koru
    • By koru 25th Aug 05, 2:43 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    koru
    eMusic 1.50 per album
    After the 50 tracks free trial is over, eMusic cost about 1.50 per album, depending on how much you buy and how many tracks on the album. More details in my post here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=82503
    Last edited by koru; 25-08-2005 at 2:52 PM.
    koru
  • safari
    The best deal of all has to be Emusic.com. They have a 50 free downloads trial offer. You simply sign up to their minimum package which is 9.99USD per month, download your 50 free tracks and cancel before you have to pay a penny (or should that be cent?).

Basically they don't take the first payment until you've downloaded the freebies and then decided to continue with the paid subscription. It's all absolutely legitimate, perfectly legal (copyright paid) and all the MP3's are encoded to VBR (variable bitrate), which is as near to CD quality as it gets.

They tend to have mainly independents and less known artists, plus some older stuff, but hey you're bound to find 50 songs you like and you can hear 30 second samples before you decide to download. They're very good for jazz and new age stuff. I've been a member for over a year.

http://www.emusic.com/promo.html
    by JK
    Isn't emusic one of those sites like Napster where if you stop subscribing you lose all your music?

The problem with a lot of these sites is that you cannot copy the downloaded music from your PC to your iPod, or burn them onto a CD to play in the car or the kitchen. If this is the case then you'll also lose all your purchased music when you upgrade your PC. Some allow limited copying and burning - I think iTunes is pretty good in this regard.

If you want cheap chart music, the only option is those Sites Which Must Not Be Mentioned. Part of the reason why those Sites Which Must Not Be Mentioned are so cheap is that the cost of a legit CD in Russia is about $3. Which makes you wonder why they cost 6 times that here...
    if i had known then what i know now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin