Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catznine
    • By catznine 22nd Aug 05, 1:15 PM
    • 3,187Posts
    • 24,544Thanks
    catznine
    How do you use a pasta machine?
    • 22nd Aug 05, 1:15 PM
    How do you use a pasta machine? 22nd Aug 05 at 1:15 PM
    Please can someone help me? I've just been given a lovely pasta machine for my birthday and I can't wait to play! Trouble is the recipe in the instruction booklet calls for 5 eggs! Does anyone else have one of these machines and is there a more economical recipe I could use? Also how do you get on with the machine? Is it complicated to use?
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Aug 05, 1:30 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 22nd Aug 05, 1:30 PM
    • 22nd Aug 05, 1:30 PM
    Please can someone help me? I've just been given a lovely pasta machine for my birthday and I can't wait to play! Trouble is the recipe in the instruction booklet calls for 5 eggs! Does anyone else have one of these machines and is there a more economical recipe I could use? Also how do you get on with the machine? Is it complicated to use?
    by catznine
    There's a thread with some 3 egg recipes, and links to others... Click Here

..but I've no idea how to use a machine
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 22nd Aug 05, 2:43 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 22nd Aug 05, 2:43 PM
    • 22nd Aug 05, 2:43 PM
    I use 2 eggs to 11 and 1/2 oz of bread flour.I use medium eggs and Asda bread flour.If its a bit sticky,add more flour,if dry,add a drop of water till its right.
    I find it's much easier if you have a processor to mix the ingredients then pick up the whole lot and feed through the machine . I used to do it with a rolling pin but the machine is miles quicker.
  • npsmama
    • 20th Oct 06, 10:55 AM
    How do you use a pasta maker/roller?
    • 20th Oct 06, 10:55 AM
    Can you please explain how you use a pasta maker?

I have real trouble with mine. Everything sticks together! I have a manual Imperia one. It's supposed to be the real thing from Italy. Passed down from my mum who had it 30+years.

Grateful for any suggestions!
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."

• Zed42
    • By Zed42 20th Oct 06, 11:02 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    Zed42
    • 20th Oct 06, 11:02 AM
    • 20th Oct 06, 11:02 AM
    I make the dough, let it rest for about an hour, then feed the dough through the pasta machine about 6 times on the widest setting. Ensuring I put a little flour on the dough if it is too sticky.

I then slowly reduce the thickness of the rollers and feed the pasta through time and time again until I get the thickness I want.

HTH.
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 12th May 08, 12:13 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    • 12th May 08, 12:13 PM
    Pasta Machine help please
    • 12th May 08, 12:13 PM
    I just bought a pasta machine from our local charity shop for 3.....box is a bit battered but the machine is still all wrapped up in the inner bubble wrap and plastic bags it came in and looks to be unused, but there is no manual with it. There is no manufacturers name on the box so I can't do an online search.

Of course now I have it I am dying to use it - but my DD1 who has her own, is at work, so could anyone please advise how to clean it, and how to make the pasta dough....I know I duram wheat is what is usually used but I only have SR, plain and strong bread flour in the cupboard.

Thanks for any help
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 12th May 08, 12:20 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 12th May 08, 12:20 PM
    • 12th May 08, 12:20 PM
    There's an older thread here with recipe and instructions - fresh pasta.

To be honest, pasta flour is best, but I often use strong bread flour and that's great too.

HTH, Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 12th May 08, 12:28 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    • 12th May 08, 12:28 PM
    • 12th May 08, 12:28 PM
    There's an older thread here with recipe and instructions - fresh pasta.

To be honest, pasta flour is best, but I often use strong bread flour and that's great too.

HTH, Penny. x
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Thankk you Penny - very grateful
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • powershopper
    • 26th Jul 08, 2:43 PM
    spaghetti lasagne mamma mia!!!!!
    • 26th Jul 08, 2:43 PM
    I have just lugged home from a local charity shop a PASTA MACHINE !!!
    been looking out for one for aaaages, and like the proverbial bus, there were 2 on the shelves of the local PDSA shop! It is all there and quite clean, nothing that I can't cope with, but I have never used one and would appreciate any tips anyone can pass on. Can't wait to get going...............we just luuuuuurve pasta...........:confused:
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 26th Jul 08, 3:07 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi there! I got mine from Freecycle - brand new, unwanted gift

We have an older thread on pasta makers, including a link to a fresh pasta recipes thread. I'll add this question to that. Take a look and if you have more specicfic questions, please ask again.

Penny. x
    • CleoTheCat
    • By CleoTheCat 26th Jul 08, 11:10 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    CleoTheCat
    My other half tells me that 100g flour to one egg is the best recipe! (roughly enough for 1 person)

He says that you make a well in the middle of the flour, add the egg and mix together with your hands. The mix will seem VERY dry - don't panic, just keep kneading and it will become silky and smooth.

Use a light dusting of flour before you run the pasta through the machine.Start machine on it's widest setting thenrun the pasta through it a couple of times then gradually step the setting down dusting with flour as you go.

Finally, never ever put the machine in hot soapy water. it may need a wee bit of oil from time to time and if you haven't used it for a while,run a wee bit of dough through to clean it first, then throw it away.
    If you are using the machine to cut the pasta, let it dry slightly first - it makes it easier to cut.
    Phew! hope this helps someone,
    ~CtC~ (& other half!)
  • powershopper
    pasta machine
    Thanks cleo, I'm going to give it a go, may need a bit of oil in moving bits first, the main rollers are a bit stiff yet..................
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 27th Aug 08, 6:57 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    I thought I'd bump this thread up because along with my new energy monitor my pasta maker is my favourite new toy. Actually it's the Kitchenaid mixer attachment, rather than a pasta maker. What I love about it, is that you start with a bowl of flour and some egggs and end up with a product that is better and more nutritious than the supermarket product. Now you can say that about a lot of things, but the bonus in this house is that everyone eats it. Even me and I don't like pasta. Anyway, I know that a lot of people have a pasta maker in the cupboard and have gone wrong with it (well, I'm guessing but three people I know have 'fessed up to this). This is what I've learned:

1) All can be done by hand but, unless you have loads of time, you need at least a pasta roller if you're going to make pasta regularly. I wouldn't bother if I didn't have a mixer for the dough either.

2) For six of us it's 6 eggs, large pinch salt and 600g white bread flour (Tesco 48p a bag). I know it's a lot of eggs but it's only one each.

3) It's hard to make the dough properly without a mixer - it takes so long you end up adding water which makes it sticky. Not hard work but enough to put you off.

4) Flour is the saviour. Every piece of dough needs dusting. My first batches weren't so good because I was in a baking mindset and didn't use enough flour.

5) It's best to make the dough and get it rolled before you start making the kitchen steamy with other cooking or boiling the water, I think.

6) Cleocat's method is good - I hang the pasta from coat hangers as I roll or cut it. I've found it easier to roll it all first and hang it up and then cut immediately before cooking. This is because I have to change rollers to cut.

7) It only takes a minute or two to cook so everything else needs to be ready first including colander in sink. When it rises to the top of the boiling water, it's ready.
  • FrenchMaid
    Pasta Machine
    I have a Pasta Machine which Dh once got as a pressie, I don't think it was a super expensive one and now after about 5 years of regular use it is slowly disintegrating...

Do any of you have a pasta machine and if so what brand? I am thinking of replacing it next month.... I use it about 1 or 2 times a week.

Cheers
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 17th Feb 09, 9:49 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    Any advice goy a newbie with a pasta machine?
    I`ve been after one for ages & managed to get a really good quality one from local freecycle.
    Anyway was wondering what hints or tips are best for them ie: best flour
    thanks
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Feb 09, 9:52 PM
    • 13,310 Posts
    • 226,364 Thanks
    greenbee
    Use proper pasta flour (Italian '00'). It makes a huge difference.

Otherwise... practice :rolleyes:

If you didn't get a drying stand with it, then you can hang the pasta over the back of a chair to dry, or use radiator airers. Don't make it too long as it will be too heavy and break, and then land on the floor!

If you're drying pasta to store, make sure it is completely dry, and check regularly.

Enjoy!
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 17th Feb 09, 10:39 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    Use proper pasta flour (Italian '00'). It makes a huge difference.

Otherwise... practice :rolleyes:

If you didn't get a drying stand with it, then you can hang the pasta over the back of a chair to dry, or use radiator airers. Don't make it too long as it will be too heavy and break, and then land on the floor!

If you're drying pasta to store, make sure it is completely dry, and check regularly.

Enjoy!
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Can it be frozen? thanks for your help
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Feb 09, 11:23 PM
    • 13,310 Posts
    • 226,364 Thanks
    greenbee
    Yes, you can freeze it. You only need to dry it a bit (to make sure it doesn't all stick together).
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 18th Feb 09, 6:57 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    If you didn't get a drying stand with it, then you can hang the pasta over the back of a chair to dry, or use radiator airers.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I use clean wooden coat hangers Another tip is not to skimp on the kneading (both by hand and initially throught the machine) or it ends up lumpy

I'll add this to the exisitng thread to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Feb 09, 8:56 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    oooh seeing this thread I dug out my 6 year old unused new (hangs head in shame) pasta machine. It always looked so complicated and the instructions weren`t brilliant so I couldn`t cope with learning it then

I made the dough, 2 eggs and 200g of 00 flour and kneaded well and passed a lump through the machine over and over again like the instructions above. Brilliant, it got smoother and silkier. I then passed same lump through each of the 4 cutters that I have, over and over again so I was cleaning the machine. Some got a bit caught in the fine cutters but no panics, I re-rolled the dough and floured the rollers and that did the trick. Wow it was so easy and the pasta is drying on a rack that was also tucked away for 6 years

Now how long do I cook this pasta for? I made long strips like tagiatelle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

7,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin