Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Mar 05, 8:56 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 17th Mar 05, 8:56 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 8:56 AM
    Red cabbage benefits from cooking long and slow as it's a very hard cabbage. I usually shred it up and stick it in a casserole dish (could use slow-cooker for this too ) and add bits of chopped bacon, diced apple, garlic, red onions, red wine vinegar, sugar, all-spice and s&p. Cover and cook for 2 hours (in oven) or all day on low in slow-cooker
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• nickinoo
    • 17th Mar 05, 9:08 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 9:08 AM
    Ooh, that sounds nice Curryqueen (apart from the bacon as I am a veggie). Thanks.
  • fazer6
    • 17th Mar 05, 9:19 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 9:19 AM
    I've read on here that someone stirfryed cabbage with nutmeg or cinamon which sounds nice too.

Like swede it's a really cheap veg but I've never bought it yet (not known what to do with it). I do want to try new things so I might just get creative with cabbage.

What's the difference in taste/nutritional value between red and normal cabbage?
    • Glad
    • By Glad 17th Mar 05, 9:29 AM
    • 17,963 Posts
    • 39,915 Thanks
    Glad
    • 17th Mar 05, 9:29 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 9:29 AM
    I slice mine thinly and put in a saucepan with a cup of port, the juice from one orange anda tbs of brown sugar.
    Cook on the lowest setting for one hour.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 17th Mar 05, 10:02 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:02 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:02 AM
    I would do it in the oven in a lidded pyrex dish. A cup of veggie stock, salt, pepper, 1 chopped apple and 1 handful of sultanas. Just bung it in whilst the sunday roast is cooking. DELICIOUS!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Nasnowt
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:17 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:17 AM
    Red cabbage is so good.

If you need your skin to look really good for something, try drinking red cabbage juice daily for a week or 2 beforehand.

Juice
    1/4 of a small red cabbage
    1/2 a medium head of fennel
    2 large sweet apples juiced separately then added to taste

You get a purple liquid that is high in Vitamin E.

I got tip this from friends in the film industry, they would use it when they knew they had camera close up work to do. It helps stop that "creased foundation" look that older skin can get.
    In my new basket: A slightly whiffy blanket; Racy’s 2nd favorite jumper; remains of a slipper; 2 sticks (1 chewed); bouncy ball collection (4); Racy’s iPod and a large sock (found under Racy's bed) :confused:

• Party_Animal
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:44 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:44 AM
    Some great stuff there I love red cabbage but don't know anyone else who does. I'll try some of these out.
    Thanks
  • nickinoo
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:53 AM
    • 17th Mar 05, 10:53 AM
    Thanks everyone-I'm hungry now!
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 21st Aug 05, 5:05 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 13,248 Thanks
    bylromarha
    Red cabbage...
    ...I have one which will get binned unless you wonderful people give me some inspiration for it!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Noozan
    Shred it finely and use as you would white cabbage in coleslaw.

Shred and braise with a splash of red wine and red wine vinegar (and some grated nutmeg if you have any) Add a dribble of honey when it's nearly done.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • Trow
    • By Trow 21st Aug 05, 5:13 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    If I have cabbage to use up (any kind) I just shred it and add it to soups, stews, mince, curry, bolognaise - basically pretty much anything! Today I am making a mince pie and have added the last half of a spring cabbage that was nearly past its best.
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 21st Aug 05, 5:20 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    Shred it and put it in a jar with strong vinegar.
    Make Coleslaw.
    Make Red Cabbage and Apple (just google it loads of recipes)

(A tip for shredding cabbage or similar veggies, cut it in half - remove the worst of the cabbage stalk with a boning knife, then use a slicing machine set to however fine you wish to shred it) One cabbage will fill a couple of buckets if shredded this way. Great for barbies when you have lots of Pitta Breads to fill.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
    • sooz
    • By sooz 21st Aug 05, 5:25 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    sooz
    Shred it finely and use as you would white cabbage in coleslaw.

Shred and braise with a splash of red wine and red wine vinegar (and some grated nutmeg if you have any) Add a dribble of honey when it's nearly done.
    by Noozan

similar to my receipe, shred, along with 1 large red onion and 2 finely sliced and peeled apples. braise for nearly 2 hours, and for last half hour add either red wine or orange juice...the latter is child friendly.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 21st Aug 05, 5:36 PM
    • 17,963 Posts
    • 39,915 Thanks
    Glad
    shred it and put in heavy based saucepan with large glass of port, juice of one orange, tbs butter and tbs of dark brown sugar
    let it simmer on very low for 1hr
    we always have this with xmas dinner
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • Yoga Girl
    • By Yoga Girl 21st Aug 05, 6:58 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Yoga Girl
    Any of the above coleslaw recipes but with raisens or sultanas added.

Or stir-fry it with dash of soy sauce.

• krishna
    1. Chop it then fry it up with some fennel seeds, or better still aniseed. Yumm...

2. Grated cabbage + crushed cashew nuts

3. Chopped/grated cabbage + rasins

4. Interestingly, the water off boiled red cabbage also works for testing pH. So you could use it to test pH of a soil sample or anything else. Changes colour blue or pink, but can't remember which way round. Try adding some vinegar to it since that is alkaline. Then you'll know which way round.
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 22nd Aug 05, 12:24 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 13,248 Thanks
    bylromarha
    Lots of fab ideas. Thank you.

However, Glad, I'm not sure that the cabbage will last until Christmas

And I can test my soil into the bargain! And excellent spend of 20p on the cabbage I feel.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • Pal
    • By Pal 22nd Aug 05, 12:29 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Pal
    You lot all get so technical sometimes.

Cut it up and boil or steam it lightly. Add butter, salt and pepper and eat.

Red cabbage is ace.
  • HOLsale
    red cabbage and apples
    does anyone have a really tasty recipe for this? mil does a great version but won't share her secrets
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,709Posts Today

7,582Users online

Martin's Twitter