Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    2gb SD cards now from 6.99 delivered
    • 22nd Jan 08, 5:35 PM
    2gb SD cards now from 6.99 delivered 22nd Jan 08 at 5:35 PM
    What's the deal?

Rock-bottom flash memory prices have become commonplace as manufacturing costs drop. Now you can get a 2gb card (enough space for 500 mp3s) for 7.

Where?
    • 2gb SD Card 6.99 delivered.
      This Play-branded card's available, unsurprisingly, from Play. It doesn't have the fastest write-speeds, but should be sufficient for most people's needs.
    • 2gb Sandisk SD Card 7.49 in-store.
      If you can't wait, then Morrisons is offering Sandisk cards for 50p more than the above, offering similar transfer speeds. Thanks to dc for the spot!
    • 2gb 'Ultra II' SD Card 11.99 delivered.
      Also from Play, this card offers much faster read & write speeds for the extra cash, and also promises lower power consumption. Again, the extra speed won't be necessary for most people, but this is a great price if you'll use it.
    What's it for?

SD cards are used by digital cameras, mobile phones, Nintendo Wii consoles and expandable mp3 players to name a few. They're a compact way of storing all sorts of data.

Anything else?

Make sure you get the right type of SD card; there are now three types: SD, Mini-SD (slightly smaller), and Micro-SD (about half the size). The smaller types often come with adaptors to make them fit into bigger applications, but obviously you can't fit a bigger card into a smaller slot, so be careful.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 22-01-2008 at 6:52 PM.
Page 1
  • dc
    • 22nd Jan 08, 6:35 PM
    • 22nd Jan 08, 6:35 PM
    Even cheaper if you buy the twin pack from the same place. (Play)

two for 13.49
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/4949641/SanDisk-2GB-SD-Card-Twin-Pack/Product.html

And if you shop in Morrisons they (2g Sandisk) are 7.49, without the wait.
    ac's lovechild
    • Mike J
    • By Mike J 22nd Jan 08, 8:36 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    Mike J
    • 22nd Jan 08, 8:36 PM
    • 22nd Jan 08, 8:36 PM
    www.crucial.com/uk have 2Gb SDHC cards at 9.39. Not as cheap as the above but Ive always found them reliable and you get a lifetime guarantee.
  • dc
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:34 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:34 AM
    www.crucial.com/uk have 2Gb SDHC cards at 9.39. Not as cheap as the above but Ive always found them reliable and you get a lifetime guarantee.
    Originally posted by Mike J
    The Sandisk are guaranteed for 5 years, good enough for me, as they will probably be "obsolete" at the bottom of a drawer by then
    ac's lovechild
  • libertino
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:53 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:53 AM
    Would it be better getting the one with faster writing speed for use on a Wii?

What's the cheapest Micro SD around for a mobile?
  • bobbikins
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:05 PM
    Morrison's Price Dispute
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:05 PM
    After seeing this offer on MSE today I called into my local branch of Morrisons at Parkway, Sheffield. And found the 2Mg Sandisc and enquired about it. I said ' It is only 7.49 isn't it ? ' To be told by the assistant ' Oh No it's 14.99'
    I said well I've just seen it an a website this morning saying that Morrisons are selling the 2Mg Sandisc For 7.49, Will you please scan the item for me.
    The girl scanned the item and said ' No it's coming up at 14.99.
    I find it odd that Morrisons don't know what they are selling things for.
    I am now going to call at another branch to try again.
    Bobbikins
  • bobbikins
    • 23rd Jan 08, 3:05 PM
    Morrisons re Shop
    • 23rd Jan 08, 3:05 PM
    I find it odd that Morrisons don't know what they are selling things for.
    I am now going to call at another branch to try again.

I Have just returned from Morrisons, Ecclesfield, Sheffield branch were I bought for 7.49 a 2Mg Sandisc with no trouble. I'm now going to sit down and write a STIFF letter to there HQ. As the assistent said ' I can't understand it, The good are suppose to be the same price in all our branches.
    Bobbikins
  • jdavtz
    • 23rd Jan 08, 3:57 PM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 3:57 PM
    Some of these branded (esp. Sandisk) memory cards are also for sale on eBay as 'new' for lower prices than listed here, BUT,

THERE ARE LOADS OF FAKES ON THE MARKET.

I was recently sold a fake Sandisk Extreme III card by an eBay seller (confirmed by Sandisk technical support dept.) Paypal are investigating (very slowly) and supposedly refunding me, but the seller (memory_maniac) still sells on ebay.

So - my warning to you all - DON'T buy memory cards from eBay.

I have bought a replacement from play.com and the card is genuine, as I'd expect.

Hope that's some help.
    Jonathan.
  • Fatty Deposit
    • 23rd Jan 08, 4:01 PM
    You can get it even cheaper at 7DayShop
    • 23rd Jan 08, 4:01 PM
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2GB unbranded Toshiba SD card from http://www.7dayshop.com for £4.99! It is faultless and I'm delighted.

I also bought a 4GB class 6 card (133x speed) for £17.99, which is also fantastic value.

7DayShop prices are always worth checking, and I am in no way associated with them.

Watch out, though, they only post positive customer reviews on their site (which marginalises their validity) and you also need to factor in the cost of P&P, so it may be worth buying a few items to offset this.

Check 'em out though, their prices are excellent.
    • SiuLoong
    • By SiuLoong 23rd Jan 08, 7:25 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    SiuLoong
    I've always bought branded cards, Lexar and SanDisk in particular and have never had a problem. With the differences in price so small, I'd be wary of risking buying the absolute cheapest. I use them in my cameras so a failure would be a disaster.

Never ever ever ever buy a memory card from eBay for exactly the reason posted above. The vast majority of 'premium' cards available are fakes, either rebranded or worse not even the correct capacity. They aren't that much cheaper so not worth the risk.

I use mymemory.co.uk, they charge postage but their own brand card is only 6.99 2GB SD and the branded cards aren't much more. (Also 6% cashback from Quidco according to maximiser) Worth a look if you are buying a few. I've also bought from 7dayshop previously and had no problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,413Posts Today

9,641Users online

Martin's Twitter