Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johanne
    • By johanne 20th Aug 05, 4:51 PM
    • 1,905Posts
    • 13,678Thanks
    johanne
    Freezing bakery items
    • 20th Aug 05, 4:51 PM
    Freezing bakery items 20th Aug 05 at 4:51 PM
    just a few questions

is it possible to freeze crumpets? Just tesco have a 12 pk on BOGOF at the mo for about 60p ( i think) theres only me and i only eat 2 at a time for my breakfast so 24 would last ages... but dont want them to go off.

Also when you freeze bread (im planning on buying reduced stuff from the instore bakery) how long can you keep it for? I plan on just taking out a few slices to defrost at a time.

thanks guys! Can you tell im new to all this home stuff? :confused:
Page 1
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 20th Aug 05, 5:03 PM
    • 6,909 Posts
    • 45,118 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:03 PM
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:03 PM
    Yes you can freeze crumpets no worries - just toast from frozen. As for bread it will keep for ages in the freezer - make sure you reseal the bag well after taking some out tho or you'll end up with it going a bit dry.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • chickadee
    • By chickadee 20th Aug 05, 5:05 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    chickadee
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:05 PM
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:05 PM
    Crumpets feeze just fine! I usually buy mine in large packs and do just the same as you. They can be defrosted normally, but I just put mine straight in the toaster. They need popping down again when they pop up as I like mine crispy on the top!

Bread can usually be frozen for about a month. I always use mine up before the month is out and it is always absolutely fine.

HTH
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 20th Aug 05, 5:11 PM
    • 9,157 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:11 PM
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:11 PM
    I always freeze crumpets as I tend to do my shopping during the week. ANd have crumpets for tea on a sunday.

Yummy. You are making me want some now.

Bread always buy an extra one for the freezer.

I always try and keep bread, eggs and milk in. That way you if you have nothing else in you can have toast and if you fancy something a little more scrambled egg.

Yours

Calley
  • frugalfairy
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:20 PM
    • 20th Aug 05, 5:20 PM
    I freeze crumpets too, but I wrap them individually first in Lakelands interleaving paper(can't remember the proper name) otherwise they all stick together in my freezer. I like to defrost them before toasting as well, otherwise I'm forever putting them back into the toaster to brown further (but then I have a hopeless toaster ). Do those of you who freeze sliced bread of their own making have the stuck together problem? I tried baking and slicing some yummy bread this week but I need a Black and Decker drill to get the slices apart
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,867Posts Today

3,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin