Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • x3ja
    • 21st Jan 08, 11:52 AM
    • 21st Jan 08, 11:52 AM
    Although it becomes a bit hard to lend it to the MSF then isn't it?

I went for a separate sat-nav for that reason, so I can lend it to my wife. Arguably, she needs it more than I do (no, that's not sexist stereo-typing, she just does more driving to obscure places than I do!)
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 21st Jan 08, 12:11 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 21st Jan 08, 12:11 PM
    • 21st Jan 08, 12:11 PM
    Dont worry the MSF - still has the other one
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • PJB
    • By PJB 21st Jan 08, 10:45 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PJB
    • 21st Jan 08, 10:45 PM
    Best Mobile Sat Nav
    • 21st Jan 08, 10:45 PM
    Would appreciate opinions on the best/worst sat nav for mobiles?

Preferably with traffic and speed camera alerts.

Thanks
    Last edited by PJB; 21-01-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    • redux
    • By redux 22nd Jan 08, 3:49 AM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    • 22nd Jan 08, 3:49 AM
    • 22nd Jan 08, 3:49 AM
    I bought a clearance version of one navigation brand for a few pounds, including maps of Benelux, intending to buy a new set of maps separately, to use with a Windows Mobile 5 phone and a clearance Bluetooth GPS. I subscribed to the newsletter for the software, which turned out useful as a couple of months ago they sent notice of a special offer of half-price maps.

But the maps for my software version were no longer available, despite that they had been there only a couple of months previously (when I'd hesitated because the price had gone up from £42 to £69). I emailed the firm, asking if the offer applied to my product and would they please give me a link for the download that was rather hard to find on their website. After a couple of replies from people who seemed to have not read my specific question, I phoned up; the product was no longer supported, and they no longer had the maps available.

Well I'd known that the last map update for this version was about a year beforehand, but I find this amazing in a product launched less than 3 years old, and said so; despite people getting new phones all the time I didn't see how this firm could just dump people so soon. Even more surprising, I was then told unofficially that if I looked around on the internet I might be able to find certain places with map copies available to download free

I haven't got around to that yet, as I seem to have blown up a micro-SD card and am waiting for a replacement, but if or when I do manage to get it going it will have cost me about £8 for the whole software and maps of Europe.

If I don't manage that, there is a Nokia product available free even for Windows Mobile 5 phones as well as their own. The planning, position display and route simulation functions are free; only the voice-guided navigation and real-time route recalculation needs a subscription, from €6.49 for 1 week up to €70 for 3 years. Given that the map updates are free whereas most brands charge for new maps, it could work out cheaper for some http://www.smart2go.com/en/

I've read about a totally free product called Nav4All, but not heard any feedback from users http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/enguk/index.php
    Last edited by redux; 22-01-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    • PJB
    • By PJB 22nd Jan 08, 8:29 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PJB
    • 22nd Jan 08, 8:29 PM
    I have Sony Ericsson P1i!
    • 22nd Jan 08, 8:29 PM
    Any advice please, other than get a new phone with GPS!
  • ChemicalBrother
    • 23rd Jan 08, 12:17 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 12:17 AM
    Cheap and effective? How's £30?

Nokia have Nokia Maps for free (additional services are extra) and a bluetooth GPS unit can be bought for £30 (inc delivery) from Orange (see forum post here)

Most recent (smart) phones from Nokia are compatible and older ones will probably work with Google Maps Mobile or the likes of MGMaps.
    • redux
    • By redux 23rd Jan 08, 2:23 AM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:23 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:23 AM
    This is a dumb question but I think my new phone has GPS and maps , do you have to connect the phone to the net to view the maps? It is a Nokia N95
    Originally posted by Atomised
    It's likely to be very expensive in data cost to download the maps you want via the mobile network. Instead, either use the phone in wi-fi access or download to your PC and then transfer.
  • sortedinnit
    • 23rd Jan 08, 6:37 AM
    SatNav
    • 23rd Jan 08, 6:37 AM
    I have a Nokia N95 with a built-in GPS, and have downloaded googlemaps to my phone (for free). Having turned on the GPS (see your handbook), I now have satellite navigation! The only cost is the internet connection - I have unlimited for 8 per month from O2.

I find google maps MUCH easier and more user-friendly than my old NavMan unit - I haven't had to make any complicated changes or alternation - the software has automatically deteced the GPS. I'd really recommend this.
  • vroom
    Recommend phone with good GPS reception?
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad) of using the Nokia N95 for navigation with GPS? It was tested on C5's Gadget Show and they found it often couldn't get a signal.

I think some windscreens will also block the signal.

Does anyone have any recommendations of phones that don't have a problem picking up the GPS signals inside a car? How easily does the HTC 3100 get a signal? How long does it take and how often does it lose the signal?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 23rd Jan 08, 9:17 PM
    • 8,325 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    almillar
    Just as some general advice, loads of people will have devices that can be used for sat-nav, maybe with some extra equipment, instead of buying a seperate device to mess the place up.
    As has been mentioned above, lots of smartphones can have software put on. If you know that your phone has Symbian OS, or Series 60 or Series 80 (all sortof based on the same thing) you can get software. You can also then get a GPS (the thing that finds the satellites) device, even a bluetooth one so that it can be wireless, and you'll have a very handy sat nav.
    The same applies for lots of PalmOS devices, and lots of Windows CE, and PocketPC devices, as Martin said, but I just wanted to mention that you don't have to go out and get a new mobile to have it.
    Maybe you've got an old PocketPC or Palm PDA that you don't use any more sincd your new phone is so 'Smart' - you can now use this as a dedicated sat nav device.
    Goto eBay and look for bluetooth gps - I got a unit for about 25, and there's plenty of software packages on there too!
    Good luck!
    Alan
  • jimfrayling
    google maps 2
    Cheapest and best sat nav is to go to:
    m.google.co.uk
    and download google maps mobile v2. It has a thing called my location - which calibrates your location according to mobile phone mast data. It's not as accurate as GPS, but works ok in cities (less accurately in countryside). Google maps has a directions thing, so it's really like a poor man's version of GPS. Works perfectly well when you need it, just not as snazzy. Oh and it's free. You only pay for data, which given I'm lucky enough to have a work mobile means mine is completely free.

Very good however for walking and cycling, which living in a part of town not far from MS Towers I do a lot (traffic and congestion charge make it worthwhile).

JimF
  • ChemicalBrother
    As well as Google Maps Mobile and Nokia Maps there's Mobile GMaps, J2MEMap, 8Motions and although it's not for navigation it works at the same time as Nokia and Google Maps on my N73 and is great for running, cycling etc - Nokia Sports Tracker

Those are all free and all work on S60 3rd Edition phones (some also work on older S60 devices too and the Java ones probably work on any phone with Java that has bluetooth)

My favourite, TomTom, isn't free though. It may be possible to get a cheap legal copy of it for older Nokia phones (such as the 6630). I also like TomTom Citymaps but you can't get hold of that legally anymore - it's also only available for older S60 phones. It's great on foot when exploring foreign citys - even if it's a bit out of date.
  • Happy Girl
    Are there any legal issues with using Sat Nav on your phone while driving? Could you be proscecuted for having your phone in your hand to look at the map?
  • ley07
    there is no problem to use most of the european countries a part from spain. but these days most of the garmin and tomtom gps system coming with including bluetooth handsfree future.like garmin nuvi 310 or tomtom go 520 i ve got mine web site calling www.junglezon.com they are selling pretty cheap and they can help you all your issues regarding to set up etc.
  • ley07
    htc mobile gps devices
    the way you saying is %100 makes sense but i ve been using these gadgets last 9 years ,they are great units but if you dont charge units you would lose all your data,and also when you add diffrent programs unit getting slower

i just reply to other gps question i would say stick with seperate system and do not forget in the car www.junglezon.com customer service will give you free advice

so you wont get lost
  • MoneySavingDan
    Hi all. Having played about with various bit of sat nav software on mobiles, I just wanted to add a bit of info to the above posts.

A few people have mentioned Google Maps Mobile. While this is excellent for navigating around on foot, it doesn't currently offer voice guidance (not sure whether there are any plans for it to ever do this), and therefore isn't really suitable for use when driving (unless you've got a passenger to read out each direction to you).

Someone mentioned that Nokia Maps is free. It is, but if you want voice guidance, it's an extra 40-ish a year (last time I checked). If you don't pay for that it provides similar functionality to Google Maps Mobile.

I have used Nav4All on a number of occasions now and thoroughly recommend it. The software is free, and the only costs involved are the data charges from your mobile network for when it looks up your route over the Internet. This isn't much of a concern for me as I've got a 1GB data bundle on my tariff, but I believe the amount of data it uses is negligeble anyway, so those without a data bundle probably don't need to worry much. In order to minimize the amount of data it uses, it will only show you directions (rather than maps) on the screen, unless you specifically request a map.

I use Nav4All on my Sony Ericsson K660i with an external bluetooth GPS receiver, which cost 30-ish from Mobile Fun.

Hope this info is useful
  • johnsgsltd
    This is the best gadget I have ever had thank you MoneySavingDan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

2,211Users online

Martin's Twitter