Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Aug 05, 5:58 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 17th Aug 05, 5:58 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 5:58 PM
    Well it's either a cabbage type thing or it's a lettuce type thing...

What does a bit of raw leaf taste like?

Edit: Curly Kale?
    Last edited by squeaky; 17-08-2005 at 6:01 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • chickadee
    • By chickadee 17th Aug 05, 6:01 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    chickadee
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:01 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:01 PM
    Or it could be a chard type thing.... :confused:
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
    • tru
    • By tru 17th Aug 05, 6:07 PM
    • 8,766 Posts
    • 46,862 Thanks
    tru
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:07 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:07 PM
    I had some lettuce growing in my garden, looks like competitionscafe's pic.
  • bluemoon
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:11 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:11 PM
    Looks like kale to me.
  • miacat
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:12 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:12 PM
    hi this is a curly-leaved kale. there are quite a few varieties. suitable for freezing apparently. tastes bitter, but rich in iron and vit c. cook in a small amount of water, about 8 mins after discarding any old leaves and midribs and washing it thoroughly. hope this helps!
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 17th Aug 05, 6:17 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:17 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:17 PM
    Its Brassica oleracea - Red Curly Kale see:-

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/images/orn_veg/sm_images/Red%2520Bor%2520Image.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/crop/ornveg/red_bor2.htm&h=200&w=339&sz=60&tbnid=ecVR8QuC6AYJ: &tbnh=67&tbnw=115&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bred%2Bcurly%2Bkale%26svnum%3D100%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG
  • competitionscafe
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:20 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:20 PM
    Aah mystery solved - many thanks for all the replies. There is a huge bag of it - so will probably freeze some - do I need to cook it first?
  • miacat
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:28 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 6:28 PM
    to freeze,blanch for 1 min, cool and drain thoroughly. chop and then pack into polythene bags.
  • competitionscafe
    Cheers, will do that. Speaking of leaves I tried this last week (recipe from full on food) - would highly recommend it, it tastes a lot better than it looks!
    (and it's a great way to use up those 'rabbit food' green salad leaves that come in your box, mine always come with an orange flower in the bag too - why?!)

Couscous salad with feta, Kalamata olives, broad beans, peas and mint.
    Recipe:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/couscoussaladwithfet_74884.shtml

-
  • miacat
    um.. that salad sounds nice and i love olives. guess ill have to try this. I,ve never had a veg box delivery, but am on the lookout to try one.as for the flower?
  • competitionscafe
    hi this is a curly-leaved kale. there are quite a few varieties. suitable for freezing apparently. tastes bitter, but rich in iron and vit c.
    by miacat
    Well I am glad it's good for me because you are right about it being bitter!
    I had some for my dinner but I can't say that it's going to become one of my favourite vegetables, it's okay, doesn't really taste of much except that slight bitterness. I really like spinach and thought the kale might be similar to spinach but it's not.
    • se999
    • By se999 17th Aug 05, 10:01 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    It's a bit like todays perpetual spinach thread, you know it's good for you, but recipes to hide little bits/bulking out things may be the best way to go.

Sorry but to me kale has always been like very tough spring cabbage, but admittedly in your case very exotic very tough spring cabbage

I'd tried to identify it too and eliminated rhubard chard, and russian red kale and the final solution as too blue!! But I loved the Unidentified Organic Objects hunt
    • Swan
    • By Swan 17th Aug 05, 10:15 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    kale is really nice chopped & added to traditional lentil or veg soups, towards the end of the cooking
  • filigree
    Some flowers are edible, that may be what's in the salad bag. I would guess it's nasturtium or courgette flower, perhaps you need to post another picture

Good luck with the kale, it's supposed to be mega nutritious. Shame I can't stand it
  • Slothy
    I love Curly Kale, here's my fave recipe for it:

1 to 1.5kg Curly Kale
    1.5kg potatoes
    Smoked Sausage
    1 to 1.5dl milk
    salt, pepper
    4 tbsp butter (or margerine)

Peel and dice the potatoes. Remove the stalks from the curly kale and cut it very fine (this can be a pain, a quick go in the food processor can chop it up too).

Take a big pan (the bigger the better). Add water until you have about 2cm (1inch) of water in the bottom of your pan. Add the Curly Kale to the pan with some salt and let simmer for 10 mins with a lid on the pan. Add the potatoes on top and simmer for another 20 minutes. You can heat the smoked sausage in another pan, or place it on top of the potatoes.

When the potatoes are done, drain the liquid from pan (but keep some for later). Mash the potatoes and curly kale together, adding the butter and milk. If the mixture is too dry, you can add some of the cooking water back until you're happy with its consistency. Serve with the smoked sausage, very nice with gerkins and pickled onions. You can also add some fried bacon cubes or chorizo cubes to the mash, in which case use the oil from frying as a subsitute for some of the butter.

Tip: if the curly kale has been harvested before the first groundfrost, you can put it in the freezer overnight after cutting it up, and simply use it frozen. This will help to soften the Kale.
    • flea72
    • By flea72 19th Aug 05, 3:08 PM
    • 5,258 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    flea72
    the worst thing about getting curly kale in your veg box, is that you know the chard season is gonna be here soon

if you thought the kale was bitter, you wont like the chard, espec as it also has a really earthy taste too - and the chard season is a very long one

flea
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,879Posts Today

7,026Users online

Martin's Twitter