Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • crazyhazy
    • By crazyhazy 17th Aug 05, 3:48 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    crazyhazy
    • 17th Aug 05, 3:48 PM
    oven baked risotto
    • 17th Aug 05, 3:48 PM
    Like you it's something I always wanted to try, I got this recipe from the good food mag last week and made it for the 1st time on monday, it was lovely!
    serves 4
    ingredients -
    250g smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
    1 onion chopped
    25g butter
    300g risotto rice
    half a glass of white wine, optional
    150g pack of cherry tomatoes
    700ml hot chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
    50g grated parmesan

Heat oven to 200c/gas 6
    fry bacon in ovenproof pan or casserole until golden and crispy
    add onion and butter and cook for 3-4 mins until soft
    add rice and mix well
    add wine if using
    cook for 2 mins till absorbed
    add cherry tomatoes and stock
    give a quick stir and cover with a tight lid and bake for 18mins until just cooked
    stir through most of parmesan and seve sprinkled with the remainder
    Total Debt (27th Nov 08) 16,707.03 Now 5,102.72
    Debt Free Date Nov 2012 August 2011
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 17th Aug 05, 3:53 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 17th Aug 05, 3:53 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 3:53 PM
    That sounds yummy crazyhazy. I'll have to try that one!
  • Lucie
    • 17th Aug 05, 3:58 PM
    • 17th Aug 05, 3:58 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=460490&postcount=39

This is my mushroom risotto recipe posted a few months ago
  • Bendybops19
    • 30th Aug 05, 2:53 PM
    • 30th Aug 05, 2:53 PM
    White wine and pamesan make a big difference
    I stir mine constantly because i find it makes it less sticky, and also i love the smell of it so dont want to leave it...lol
    Oh yum risotto is my fave meal!!
    Last edited by Bendybops19; 30-08-2005 at 2:59 PM.

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

• By 16011996 30th Aug 05, 3:47 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 30th Aug 05, 3:47 PM
    • 30th Aug 05, 3:47 PM
    whats risotto like? i've never tried it, always looks odd to me.
    • misty
    • By misty 30th Aug 05, 4:17 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    • 30th Aug 05, 4:17 PM
    • 30th Aug 05, 4:17 PM
    Like you it's something I always wanted to try, I got this recipe from the good food mag last week and made it for the 1st time on monday, it was lovely!
    serves 4
    ingredients -
    250g smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
    1 onion chopped
    25g butter
    300g risotto rice
    half a glass of white wine, optional
    150g pack of cherry tomatoes
    700ml hot chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
    50g grated parmesan

Heat oven to 200c/gas 6
    fry bacon in ovenproof pan or casserole until golden and crispy
    add onion and butter and cook for 3-4 mins until soft
    add rice and mix well
    add wine if using
    cook for 2 mins till absorbed
    add cherry tomatoes and stock
    give a quick stir and cover with a tight lid and bake for 18mins until just cooked
    stir through most of parmesan and seve sprinkled with the remainder
    by crazyhazy
    That sounds yum. I love risotto - real comfort food - I've always been put off making it as many recipes involve - standing ladling, waiting to absorb - ladling again. Will def give that ago though. Is it ok to freeze risotto or will go gluey?
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 30th Aug 05, 4:29 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 30th Aug 05, 4:29 PM
    • 30th Aug 05, 4:29 PM
    I would always do it on the hob. If you like comfort food its great you only need a few ingredients to make a risotto. I posted an onion and rosemary one a while back, chestnut is also lovely, as is prawn and pea with mint. (last one is a Jamie Oliver)
    Freezing it is fine if you manage to save any!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Simba_25
    • 30th Aug 05, 4:38 PM
    • 30th Aug 05, 4:38 PM
    Oooh that sounds lovely. I had some made for me about 5 years ago and havnt had any since. this is def one ill be trying... thank you xx
  • Lillibet
    Very quick cheats veggie risotto : whatever rice you have to hand cooked as usual in boiling water until most of water is absorbed with 2 sachets of instant vegtable soup added Add whatever fresh/frozen veggies you have to hand if you want. If feeling extravagant top with a little grated cheese
  • Lyndsay_21
    i looovvveee risotto one of my faves i dont mind waiting around for it 'tasting' it as i go another thing i like to add at the end to make it a bit creamy/cheesier is laughing cow light trianges, not exactly authentic but gives it a really yummy comsistency
  • Bendybops19
    16011996 - its quite thick, kind of gooey i guess! But has a huge amount of flavour to it. Very filling, so you dont need to make loads, although i always make some for lunch the next day!

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

• bargainqueen
    MMHHHHHHH Risotto- here's BQ dad's super special Risotto Recipe:
    Ingredients: 1-2 cans of tuna in oil or brine
    1 can crabmeat (optional)
    enough rice to feed the family
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 can sweetcorn
    handful frozen peas
    handful frozen prawns (optional)
    1 fish stockcube (or real stock)
    water

How to make:

If oil tuna, open can and pour 1 cans worth into a big fryingpan, if using brine tuna use 1 tbl vegetable oil.
    Heat up, then add finely chopped onion and garlic. Fry for a minute until soft
    Add rice and stir until coated with oil and onion. Add generous amount of salt and pepper and stir in tuna and crabmeat if using.
    Make up enough fishstock to cover the mixture with about 1 inch stock higher than rice.
    Bring to the boil, then turn down and add drained sweetcorn. Pop the lid on the pan and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes.
    Add frozen peas and prawns if using, put lid back on and let heat through another 5 minutes. DON'T STIR THROUGHOUT!
    Hey presto- yummy scrummy famous daddy's risotto
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 1st Sep 05, 9:54 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    ;ooooooh....yummy!
    this is going onto next weeks' weekly menu....probably wednesday!!

incidentally, can you use any rice, or does it definatley have to be risotto rice (arborio..?)
    dec gc epic fail!/150 ..jan 140/160 ..feb gc 90/150
    mar 100/120 apr 85/120
    wading through the treacle of life!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 1st Sep 05, 10:09 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    I would always do it on the hob. If you like comfort food its great you only need a few ingredients to make a risotto. I posted an onion and rosemary one a while back, chestnut is also lovely, as is prawn and pea with mint. (last one is a Jamie Oliver)
    Freezing it is fine if you manage to save any!
    by Sarahsaver
    I have made sarahsavers onion and rosemary risotto and it is excellent - I highly recommend it.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • bargainqueen
    ;ooooooh....yummy!
    this is going onto next weeks' weekly menu....probably wednesday!!

incidentally, can you use any rice, or does it definatley have to be risotto rice
    (arborio..?)
    by tiredwithtwins
    To be honest I never knew there was a special Risotto rice
    I always use normal rice, but bizarrely my recipe works best with Lidl's parboiled american rice (I think that's what i's called).
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • Bendybops19
    I have always used proper risotto rice, i didnt realise that u could use other rice?
    Does it work as well? That'll be great if i can use normal rice!! Save me money!

• Allexie
    If it's just for me then I use any old rice that's around...(even pudding!) If I'm making an effort and doing it properly then it has to be either arborio or carnaroli rice as I do think it makes a difference.. The risotto seems to be just soooo much creamier with the proper stuff.

BTW...how 'soupy' do you make your risotto? I'm always arguing with people about this! I'm a 'so runny it has to be in a soup dish' advocate...but I've noticed lots of people (and some restaurants), make it so it stands up on its own
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Bendybops19
    Allexie - risotto isnt supposed to be runny at all, its a thick dish. So yeah, it should be able to stand up on its own! Your supposed to keep it cooking until most of the wine and stock has disappeared, so its just the flavour.

But, i am sure runny risotto is still as tasty

• Pal
    • By Pal 1st Sep 05, 12:45 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Pal
    I love Jamie Oliver's Prawn and Pea risotto. Take a look here:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cats/risotto.php

IMHO risotto should always be fairly gloopy and you should be able to stand a fork up in it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

2,156Users online

Martin's Twitter