Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gillby1
    • By Gillby1 17th Aug 05, 10:57 AM
    • 638Posts
    • 913Thanks
    Gillby1
    Odds & sods- recipe ideas?
    • 17th Aug 05, 10:57 AM
    Odds & sods- recipe ideas? 17th Aug 05 at 10:57 AM
    Hi all,

I'm trying to save money, and so am trying to use up what's in my cupboards and freezer. Do you have any recipe ideas for the following?

Lots of Frozen spinach (frozen in blocks) :confused:
    Frozen raspberries (quite sour)
    Chicken legs (fricassee? No idea how to make it)
    Jar of cannellini beans (in salted water)
    Tins of tuna (doesn't everyone have tuna left in the cupboard???!!!)
    Rye oats
    Roast Bran stuff :confused:
    Rosa Harrissa (sp?) paste

Thanks

Gills
Page 1
  • greenlogo
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:01 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:01 AM
    hmm, well I'm sure someone will have some brilliant ideas for you very soon - but just as a question, is that ALL the ingredients we can use, or are tomatoes etc ok.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
    • Trow
    • By Trow 17th Aug 05, 11:14 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:14 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:14 AM
    Bung the frozen spinach in anything saucy - bolognaise, curries etc etc- great for you and just add a lump in frozen.
    • Gillby1
    • By Gillby1 17th Aug 05, 11:18 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    Gillby1
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:18 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:18 AM
    Other ingredients are fine - not too expensive if poss! I just need ideas for using these items up, really.

Frozen spinach isn't as nice as fresh when heated, so i thought a recipe to add things to it just to use it up might be nicer.
  • greenlogo
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:25 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:25 AM
    am I right in thinking that the harrissa is slightly firey flavoured?

Anyway...

Howabout a tuna cassoulet (sp?) ?

a couple of chopped and fried onions,
    tuna
    the beans (drained and rinsed)
    some spinach (depending on how much you like it!)
    tin of tomatoes (to make the "sauce")
    and a touch of the harrissa to flavour

You could also use the oats and/or bran to thicken it a bit.

Or try the same without the tuna but with the chicken
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • rchddap1
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:28 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:28 AM
    Try baking the raspberries into a crumble. To sweeten things up just add some sugar. Personally I'd leave them as sour as possible....as my OH loves things that way.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 17th Aug 05, 11:31 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:31 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:31 AM
    Use the tuna with onions, tinned tomatoes and herbs for a pasta sauce. You could also add some of the spinach. The result would be a little like when using loads of basil leaves.

Mix tuna with salad cream, tomatoe sauce, chopped onions and cooked pasta. This is a fav. in our house.

Frozen raspberries - add sweetner and make into a crumble or fruit fool possible adding a sweet apple.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 17th Aug 05, 11:32 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:32 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:32 AM
    Could the bran/oats be added to the crumble mix?
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gillby1
    • By Gillby1 17th Aug 05, 11:37 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    Gillby1
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:37 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 11:37 AM
    Brilliant ideas guys, and i love crumbles - I'll give them a try.

Ta x
    Debt free date: October 2006
  • Lucie
    For the raspberries:

Put the frozen raspberries straight into your food processor (do not defrost) with some icing sugar & a tub of creme faiche (only about 60p). Whizz til smooth & bright pink & it turns into a lovely frozen mousse type thing. Quickest dessert ever!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Aug 05, 3:05 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    If you check the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum listing, there's a bunch of websites listed at the end under websites. In some of them you can type in a list of ingredients and they will come up with recipe ideas for you.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • tootles
    Chicken Fricassee

Dice up the chicken off the bones, chop an onion and fry off gently in a little butter and oil, add some garlic.

Add the chicken and turn until sealed then add a slug of white wine and chicken stock, salt and pepper and if you have it some diced mushroom and herbes de provance or tarragon and the bones from the chicken simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through...... remove the bones.

Add enough cornflour to thicken slightly and a good slug of either cream or yoghurt, the cornflour will prevent the cream/yogurt from splitting, cook gently for a few minutes then serve with either spuds and veg or rice.
  • competitionscafe
    you can also defrost the raspberries, then blender them with some caster sugar to make a raspberry coulis (posh word for sauce!) keep it in the fridge - serve with vanilla ice-cream, or use in a milkshake. Of course you may have to go out and buy the vanilla ice-cream but at least the raspberries give you a good excuse!

That frozen mousse thing sounds yummy too, will have to try that! (I guess you could add fresh fruit to it and make a smoothie drink - orange juice with raspberries sounds weird but is very nice!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Aug 05, 6:46 PM
    • 39,903 Posts
    • 37,158 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Raspberry & Salmon Pasta
    I have a recipe for salmon and raspberry pasta if you REALLY want it!

I think that's what it is, I've never cooked it!

I wonder if it would taste much different with tuna?

What I would do with the raspberries is a bit like Lucy's, but without whizzing them in the liquidiser, just mix them with creme fraiche or natural yog or whatever's on offer that's not quite cream, and add a couple of bashed up cruncy bars. Or even lumps of honeycomb - you used to be able to buy them from the sweetstall in the market, IIRC. Just leave it in the fridge to mingle for an hour or so, drool.

Edit: found the recipe. From The Really Useful Pasta Cookbook, by Paulo Episcopo, Merehurst Ltd, 1995.

Raspberry & Salmon Pasta

An unusual dish of cooked pasta topped with salmon and dill and served with a fresh raspberry mayonnaise.

Serves 6. Classified as Easy!

500g (1 lb) pepper or plain fettucine
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    500 g (1 lb) salmon fillet, bones and skin removed
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tbsp chopped fresh dill

Raspberry mayonnaise
    200g (7 oz) raspberries
    250g (8 oz) mayonnaise
    2 tsp whole grain mustard
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Place raspberries in food processor or blender and process until smooth. Push through seive and discard seeds. Add mayo, mustard and lemon juice to puree, mix and set aside.

2. Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain, set aside and keep warm.

3. Heat oil in fying pan over medium heat. Brush salmon with lemon juice and sprinkle with dill. Place salmon in pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each sdie or until flesh flakes when tested with a fork. Remove salmon from pan and cut into thick slices.

4. Serve pasta, top with salmon and drizzle with raspberry mayonnaise. Serve immediately.
    Last edited by Savvy_Sue; 17-08-2005 at 9:14 PM. Reason: To add the recipe
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
  • bigmuffins
    Could try these:

Raspberry & White Chocolate Muffins

Ingredients:
    10 oz (280 g) plain flour*
    3 tsp/15ml baking powder
    * If using self raising flour decrease baking powder to 1 teaspoon/ 5 ml
    tsp/2.5ml salt
    3 - 4 oz (85 - 125g) white granulated sugar depending on sweetness of berries
    1 egg
    8 fl oz (240ml) milk
    3 fl oz (90ml) corn oil Or 3 oz (85g) melted butter
    4 - 5oz (125 - 140 g) raspberries. Can use fresh or frozen do not thaw if frozen. Chop larger sized berries coarsely.
    100g chopped chunks of white chocolate

Method
    1. Prepare muffin tins with liners or grease well. Preheat oven to 375 - 400F/ 190 - 200C/ Gas Mark 5-6 if baking on middle rack, Gas Mark 4-5 if baking nearer top of oven.
    2. In large bowl sift together (or stir well with fork) flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
    3. In another bowl, beat egg with a fork, stir in milk, followed by oil or melted butter.
    4. Pour all of liquid ingredients into dry mixture. Stir just until combined, scraping sides and bottom of the bowl as you stir. This should take only about 30 seconds. Batter will be lumpy but no dry flour should be visible. Take care not to over-stir as this will result in tough muffins! Fold in berries and chopped chocolate at the end using only 2-3 strokes to avoid crushing the fruit.

5. Fill muffin cups approx full. Bake for 20 25 minutes until tops are lightly browned and spring back when gently pressed. Allow to cool for several minutes to make removal easier. Best served warm. Serve plain for a healthy snack or warm with cream for a yummy dessert. Store in airtight container. Eat within 2 days. Can be frozen cool to room temp. & freeze in airtight bags/containers.

Note: If using Fan oven decrease temp. to approx 170C. Baking time may also need to be shortened.

Variations:
    1. Choc Chip Muffins
    - Add 3 oz (85g) choc chips to dry ingredients. Or chopped chocolate chunks
    2. Apricot & White chocolate
    - Add chopped semi dried apricot instead of raspberries
    3. Summer Berries
    - add any frozen or fresh berry combination you like!

Enjoy!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,394Posts Today

7,438Users online

Martin's Twitter