Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 19th Jun 05, 12:43 AM
    • 2,080Posts
    • 3,436Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Strawberry Tart Glaze - recipe wanted please?
    • 19th Jun 05, 12:43 AM
    Strawberry Tart Glaze - recipe wanted please? 19th Jun 05 at 12:43 AM
    Have great notion to make individual strawberry tarts. Would have been done Saturday, but couldn't find recipe for the glaze. Anyway, pastry is made and in the fridge, got strawberries and cream. Just need the glaze - and it has to be vegetarian. Worst comes to worst, will do without, just thought would be nice to take a couple round when visiting Dad on Father's Day, and would like them to look nice.
    I know, should have posted earlier, but the sun was out, and so was I - we have had so much rain, was not missing out on being outside today!
Page 1
  • tom and barbara good
    • 19th Jun 05, 5:31 AM
    • 19th Jun 05, 5:31 AM
    I don't use an exact recipe but if you have some arrowroot it works just like cornflour but it's about 98% clear and if you are going to give it a red tint that doesn't matter. Have a little water boiling in a saucepan, mix a couple of tablespoons of arrowroot with water in a cup (just like you do with cornflour) then add it to your boiling water a little at a time until it's as thick as you like - start this process off the heat.
    You can sweeten this if you like
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 19th Jun 05, 9:12 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:12 AM
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:12 AM
    you could warm some stawberry jam, sieve it and use the cooled jam brushed over as a glaze
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 19th Jun 05, 9:39 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:39 PM
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:39 PM
    I don't use an exact recipe but if you have some arrowroot it works just like cornflour but it's about 98% clear and if you are going to give it a red tint that doesn't matter.
    by tom and barbara good
    Can I ask where you buy arrowroot from and what does the packaging look like? I was trying to find some a few weeks ago when I had a recipe that listed it as an ingredient.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 19th Jun 05, 9:42 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:42 PM
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:42 PM
    Supercook make it, it's in the same round tubs as bicarb and baking powder
  • ChocClare
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:48 PM
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:48 PM
    You can get arrowroot from Tesco's! Supercook do a pot in the same way that they do baking powder, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda. It's on the baking aisle. Really useful and much nicer than cornflour as a thickener for fruit. In the autumn if you go blackberry picking, then you'll know that heating up blackberries in any shape or form causes huge amounts of liquid to appear... if you put blackberries, sliced apples, and sugar in a saucepan, no liquid or just a few drops, bring to the boil (now drowning in juice); mix a spoonful of arrowroot with a little cold water and add to the saucepan; stir furiously. It starts off cloudy but then goes clear and hey presto, thickened and tasty "pie filling" type fruit which I plonk on top of a bit of sponge and then stick custard over top for instant comfort pudding! Yum...

Anyway, I digress...

If you want a traditional glaze for strawberry tarts, then you get a jar of redcurrant jelly, add a squirt of lemon juice, heat in a saucepan till bubbly, sieve if necessary and brush over the fruit.
  • ChocClare
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:50 PM
    • 19th Jun 05, 9:50 PM
    Oops, just beat me to it Apprentice Tycoon. Serves me right for yakking on about blackberries.
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 21st Jun 05, 3:14 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 21st Jun 05, 3:14 PM
    • 21st Jun 05, 3:14 PM
    Thanks for the info on arrowroot!
  • callansdad
    • 17th Aug 05, 12:07 AM
    Strawberry Tart
    • 17th Aug 05, 12:07 AM
    Does anyone know where i can get the gelatinous style strawberry jelly that bakers use for strawberry tarts?

I've looked for this everywhere but no bakers are willing to divulge where they buy it from!

Thanks in advance
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
  • frizz_head
    Quickgel available in Supermarkets? :confused:

You will probably get the answer you are looking for if you post this on Old Style - they know heaps about all things food related.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
  • callansdad
    quickgel is like a cheap alternative but thanks anyway
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
  • callansdad
    Strawberry tart
    Does anyone know where i can get the gelatinous style strawberry gel that bakers use for strawberry tarts?

I've looked for this everywhere but no bakers are willing to divulge where they buy it from!

Thanks in advance

p.s. its not quickgel
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 17th Aug 05, 11:34 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    callansdad,

I'm going to move your thread over to the Old Style board, where hopefully you will get an answer to your question.

Pink
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Aug 05, 12:15 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Would it just be the syrup with sugar and arrowroot?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 17th Aug 05, 5:26 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    I think that it will be a commercial gel that comes in big vats and the nearest you can get to copying it will be as Squeaky said with juice thickened with slaked arrowroot
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 17th Aug 05, 5:30 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    Would it just be the syrup with sugar and arrowroot?
    by squeaky
    I've done it with a fruit flan using tinned fruit (say peaches). Mix the arrowroot with a little water then mix with the juice from the can and heat in a saucepan until it thickens (the arrowroot makes it stay clear). Not sure what you'd do for fresh strawberries though.
  • callansdad
    Thanks for that folks i'll give it a bash
  • McD1971
    Strawberry Tart Jelly
    Visit Bradfordsbakers on the internet. You can order it online.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,165Users online

Martin's Twitter