Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chrislee765
    • By chrislee765 16th Aug 05, 11:31 AM
    • 375Posts
    • 155Thanks
    chrislee765
    Chicken soup help please.
    • 16th Aug 05, 11:31 AM
    Chicken soup help please. 16th Aug 05 at 11:31 AM
    Ive got some chicken stock and meat which i have boiled from a carcus from yesterdays chicken. I want to make a soup.
    Anyone got any favourite recipes?

TIA
    -------
    Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
    -------
Page 1
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 16th Aug 05, 12:10 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 45,128 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 16th Aug 05, 12:10 PM
    • 16th Aug 05, 12:10 PM
    I normally make a chicken and veg soup - just use any veg you have left over and add the chicken - simmer until the veg are just how you like them and either eat as a chunky soup or blitz down to a smoother style - bung some cream in if you're feeling inclined.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • cymro1170
    • 16th Aug 05, 12:23 PM
    • 16th Aug 05, 12:23 PM
    Here's how I make chicken soup.

Melt some butter in a saucepan and add some flour, add a bit of the chicken stock (I usually use a cube), stir until creamy, add chicken and milk and heat chicken through. Thicken with cornflour if necessary
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 16th Aug 05, 12:34 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    • 16th Aug 05, 12:34 PM
    • 16th Aug 05, 12:34 PM
    I do the chicken and veg soup, (whatever veg you have in the stock till nearly done, sprinkle of salt and pepper - take off the heat) but I also add those tiny pieces of dried pasta you get from supermarkets. As its cooling the pasta will cook. Plonk in the cooked chicken and eat!

Jo xx
    Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
  • competitionscafe
    • 16th Aug 05, 4:11 PM
    • 16th Aug 05, 4:11 PM
    This is one of my favourites, I wouldn't bother with the prawns unless you really want to, some of the other ingredients are optional too, just add what you want (you can add noodles too)

====
    Spicy Thai chicken soup

This must be one of the world’s best-loved soups – utterly superb. Fresh lemongrass, galangal (like fresh ginger, but crisper, more medicinal), kaffir lime leaves and fiery bird’s eye chillies will require a visit to a Thai or Chinese grocer or supermarket. Powdered substitutes will not do. Buy extra of these fresh ingredients and freeze for later. Do not use cooked prawns: the texture will be disappointing.

Serves 4: Makes 1.5 litres

1.25 litres boiling chicken stock, preferably home-made
    350g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely sliced
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 stalks fresh lemongrass, halved lengthways
    3 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla) or light soy sauce
    3cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    3cm fresh galangal, peeled and sliced (optional)
    8 small spring onions, quartered
    50g creamed coconut, chopped
    4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, crushed (optional)
    2 green bird’s eye chillies, crushed
    a large handful of fresh coriander leaves, torn
    250g uncooked tiger prawns, tails only, peeled or unpeeled
    freshly squeezed juice of 2 limes

1. Put the stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the chicken, garlic, lemongrass, fish sauce, ginger, galangal, if using, spring onions and creamed coconut.
    2. Return to the boil, part-cover, reduce the heat to a high simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kaffir lime leaves, if using, the chillies, half the coriander and the prawns.
    3. Simmer gently for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the prawn flesh is densely white – do not overcook or the prawns will be tough. Add the lime juice and serve in heated soup bowls, topped with the remaining coriander leaves.

NOTE: remove the chillies before drinking the soup: they are fiery, but leaving them whole and merely crushing them releases a gentle, not violent heat.
    ===
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • DSmiffy
    • By DSmiffy 9th Sep 05, 5:57 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    DSmiffy
    • 9th Sep 05, 5:57 PM
    Help!!! I Nedd A Recipe For Chicken Soup....
    • 9th Sep 05, 5:57 PM
    Hi All, trying to be very good and make healthy wholesome food here, so, just had a roast chicken tonight for our tea with veggies from the garden. There is a little chicken left on the carcass and I wanted to make Chicken Soup with it for tomorrow's tea to eat with some lovely crusty bread from the breadmaker.
    Does anyone have recipe for making chicken soup. I don't even know where to start, well, I've got the chicken!...... any ideas anyone
    Thanks very much.
    • brokenwings
    • By brokenwings 9th Sep 05, 6:03 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    brokenwings
    • 9th Sep 05, 6:03 PM
    • 9th Sep 05, 6:03 PM
    i tend to make it up as i go along
    but here is what i would do

put the carcass including bones in a big pot with water, a knob of butter, a few herbs including a bay leaf, sage and parsley, onions and a bit of garlic.

simmer on a low heat

remove the bones and leave what meat is left in the soup.

add some chopped carrots, celery, potato, and if you want some flat noodles.

simmer until veg are tender
    season to taste

that simple.
    but thats basic and im sure the ladies here will come up with something much more gamorous : )
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 9th Sep 05, 6:29 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 9th Sep 05, 6:29 PM
    • 9th Sep 05, 6:29 PM
    I take the chicken carcass and throw it in stockpot with one large carrot chopped in large chunks, a leek cut in large chunks, an onion quartered, and two stalks of celery chopped into chunks and a bouquet garni bag of herbs thing, some s+p and two bay leaves. Boil it up with two litres of water. Once done, strain off the veggies, bouquet, bay leaves and bones etc. Pick the chicken off and set aside. Put the stock in the fridge in a bowl or jug until the fat settles on the top and you can skim it off with a spoon. Once done, put stock back in pan and put in 2-3 carrots diced, 1 leek finely sliced, 2 celery stalks finely sliced, 1 largish onion finely chopped, the chicken you picked from the carcass and a chicken oxo cube and a handful of rice If you can't be bothered with chopping up the veg etc, just throw the stock in the crock and the veg roughly chopped up and the chicken, oxo cube and the rice. Leave all day or overnight in the crock and throw through the blender. It should turn out just fine. Don't blitz it too much if you like it meaty. Taste and season as you like it.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • innovate
    • 9th Sep 05, 6:50 PM
    • 9th Sep 05, 6:50 PM
    The one ingredient that I find makes all the difference - if used with the usual doses of carrots, leeks, onions, parsley, salt, pepper etc - is a couple of slices of celeriac. It works wonders in chicken stock, and beef stock. I find celeriac useless for most purposes, but for broth, it is unbeatable.

If you want to make a really good chicken stock, don't try to make it out of leftovers........nothing in, nothing out!! Better if you use a whole chicken, and cook it very very slowly, start with cold water and all the ingredients in it. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 3-4 or more hours with a lid on the pan. Discard all the chicken (into the cat or dog if you have one --- but without the bones!!!) and vegetables. Season the resulting broth - add a couple of teaspoonfuls of soy sauce if you like soy sauce.

For a really 1st class chicken broth, I de-skin the whole chicken first. This removes the need for chilling and removing the fat.

Bon appetit!!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 9th Sep 05, 7:41 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    While you are cooking the soup, you will know when it is ready by taste. It will taste golden and very chickeny.

Have a look at THIS THREAD for more hints on chicken soup

HTH
  • AussieLass
    The one ingredient that I find makes all the difference - if used with the usual doses of carrots, leeks, onions, parsley, salt, pepper etc - is a couple of slices of celeriac. It works wonders in chicken stock, and beef stock. I find celeriac useless for most purposes, but for broth, it is unbeatable.
    by innovate
    Could you tell me what celeriac looks like? Don't think I've seen it, never heard of it anyway. :confused:
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 10th Sep 05, 9:47 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Could you tell me what celeriac looks like? Don't think I've seen it, never heard of it anyway. :confused:
    by AussieLass
    They look like small turnips...

Click Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 10th Sep 05, 10:34 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    They look like small turnips...

Click Here
    by squeaky
    Are you sure you're not confusing turnips with swedes?

Turnips are very small and white with a smooth skin, whereas a swede is much bigger and a closer resemblance to celeriac

Edit: just to add that celeriac smells and tastes very similar to celery but don't let this put you off as it really is delicious, and I don't like celery yet I can eat celeriac. You can mash it with carrot, potato etc, or add chunks to casseroles, soup etc. I'm sure there's loads of things you can do with them but those are what I've tried so far
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 10-09-2005 at 10:40 AM.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Quite a few here:

http://www.worldfamousrecipes.com/chicken-soup-recipes.html

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 10th Sep 05, 11:13 AM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,222 Thanks
    grunnie
    My MIL had the best and easiest recipe for chicken soup. Water, either a chicken or chichen portion or a stock cube, add a grated carrot, a chopped onion and 2 dessertspoons of rice.Boil for an hour and it's delicious.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 10th Sep 05, 1:17 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    My MIL had the best and easiest recipe for chicken soup. Water, either a chicken or chichen portion or a stock cube, add a grated carrot, a chopped onion and 2 dessertspoons of rice.Boil for an hour and it's delicious.
    by grunnie
    sounds really easy, and low fat too
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,455Posts Today

7,229Users online

Martin's Twitter