Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 16011996 29th Sep 04, 3:34 PM
    • 8,140Posts
    • 3,704Thanks
    Can you make custard without custard powder? (Proper custard)
    • 29th Sep 04, 3:34 PM
    Can you make custard without custard powder? (Proper custard) 29th Sep 04 at 3:34 PM
    well is it possible? it proably is but i don't know where to start.
Page 2
  • trafalgar
    Re: CAn you make custard without custard podwer?
    Yes you can freeze it

only keep it a couple of months though.................it doesn't last any longer anyway in this house ;D
  • heldaz
    Hi

Ive never made bread and butter pudding but i love it, is there anywhere i can get a recipe from for it? (the easier the better lol)

Thanks

Heldaz
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 4th Oct 04, 11:25 AM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 49,803 Thanks
    MimiJane
    Yes you can freeze it

only keep it a couple of months though.................it doesn't last any longer anyway in this house ;D
    LOL ;D

Thanks Trafalgar.

• cathy
    bread and butter pud is lovely fattening and sticks to your ribs

you can also make it with mince meat and onion etc its loverrrly

just do the mince and onion fry them off add water and oxo and bisto pour in layers with bread and butter or omit butter if your cutting fat or dont like grease

layer like that until you get to the top of a fairly deep dish

you can sprinkle some grated cheddar on the top as well

lovley
    • By 16011996 6th Oct 04, 11:53 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    that sounds yum cathy. think will have to give that a go now its getting colder.
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 6th Oct 04, 5:43 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    Trouble is, cathy, that it sticks to my hips, not my ribs :
    • By 16011996 6th Oct 04, 5:52 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    all sticks to my bum (apologies, tried and couldn't phrase that better.)
  • heldaz
    Thank you Sheel

I made delias today and it was yummy and dare i say easy to make :-[ lol
  • scoot1on1
    Im a chef and we use Brioche bread to make the pudding..you can also soak the sultanas (or raisins) in rum , served with creme anglaise, luurrrvvlly

Jon
    • By 16011996 12th Oct 04, 7:47 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    oooh, that sounds good.

and welcome to the site!!

Im a chef and we use Brioche bread to make the pudding..you can also soak the sultanas (or raisins) in rum , served with creme anglaise, luurrrvvlly

Jon
  • LearningToSave.
    Homemade egg custard for baby?????
    can i make egg custard myself?? my 17 week old daughter absolutely loves it..........thought if it could be homemade would be lots cheaper.
    also what do i do with sweet potatoes for her? bought them but havent got a clue!!!
    expect you are all at my ignorance!!!! im starting.......for those of you that remember my hubby used to do ALL the cooking......now i do some
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 16th Aug 05, 11:54 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    I had a baked sweet potato once and it was lovely, and really soft and squishy so you might not need to blend it for your daughter.

Im not sure about the egg custard though, I dont have kids and ive never home made egg custard!!

Jo xx
    Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 16th Aug 05, 12:04 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    baked egg custard -dead easy -

you need 4 eggs to a pint of milk, add 2 heaped tablespoons of sugar, whisk it all up

put it in a pyrex type dish, add a little nutmeg if you think that the little one will like it and bake in a low oven for an hour or so till it's done in the middle (put the tip of a sharp knife in and peep)

if you cook it at too high a temperature or for too long it will get bubbles of clear liquid, this is because the protein in the eggs tightens up and squeezes out the liquid, this is known as syneresis, it's still perfectly edible but not as silky and smooth as it should be
  • tr3mor
    or if you want normal liquidy custard do the same as above, and heat slowly in a pan, keep stirring/whisking til it thickens up.
    • padzster
    • By padzster 16th Aug 05, 1:09 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    padzster
    Sorry to be a fuddy duddy, but are you sure you should be giving your 17week old eggs?? From everything I read they said to avoid egg until 6mths at the earliest.
  • LearningToSave.
    ooohhhhhh hadnt thought of that one!!! obviously i've given her the jars of egg custard so far.hmmmmmmmmm confused now!
    • se999
    • By se999 16th Aug 05, 2:06 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    HI,

I had a quick look at the Food Standards Agency website.

One problem is that young children/babies are more susceptible to Salmonella, so they're not supposed to have egg unless it's fully cooked (i.e. white and yolk solidly cooked). I suppose cooking something like a custard where you don't want it too hot else it would spoil might not kill the salmonella. It also said commercial products use pasteurised egg not fresh egg, which avoids the risk.

So maybe stick to the jars until she's older. There are lots of other foods you can do instead.

It does seem silly that things like a childhood treat of dipping soldiers in soft boiled eggs has health warnings!!

Anyway, I'm not a health expert, so why not check out with your health visitor.

Edit - The jars of babyfood normally have an age range on them, so it should say if it's OK for her age.
    Last edited by se999; 16-08-2005 at 2:38 PM.
  • henhog
    I had a look in my Annabel Karmel book for a sweet potato recipe.
    Sweet potatoes with Cinnamon (four to six months)
    1 sweet potato
    1 tablespoon of baby milk
    1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon

Cover the sweet potato chunks with water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 mins or until soft. Drain and mash with the baby milk and cinnamon.

Sweet potatoes are really tasty roasted in the oven as well!
    • se999
    • By se999 16th Aug 05, 4:52 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    Hi,

Just found this website, lots of recipes grouped by baby age,

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/546663.html
    • sunsetgirl
    • By sunsetgirl 16th Aug 05, 8:23 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    sunsetgirl
    Hi,
    My little boy used to eat this speedy recipe from about 6 months on (he was totally breast fed till 5 1/2 months he was stubbon and refused solids!!!)

Microwave scubbed and pricked sweet potato on high aprox 5 mins til soft and squishy
    scoop out flesh in bowl add some soft creme cheese and milk and whip until smooth and creamy.

check temperature before feeding of course but the milk and cheese cool it down fast so its an excellent speedy dinner full of vit c, calcium and beta carotene....yum!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,550Posts Today

7,694Users online

Martin's Twitter