Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • lic
    • By lic 11th Jan 08, 4:17 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    lic
    • 11th Jan 08, 4:17 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 4:17 PM
    The revenue might not charge you to pay with a debit card, but its a safe bet they will charge for a credit card payment. They do when you buy you vehicle excise licence with a credit card online.
    Don't forget they are there to save themselves money, no you!
    Lic.
  • jdowland
    • 14th Jan 08, 9:20 AM
    • 14th Jan 08, 9:20 AM
    The american express card has a maximum cashback of 200 pounds tops for the 5% period, so you wouldn't earn 500 for a 10k tax payment. Also, I'm not sure, but certain types of payments aren't eligible for the cashback, and tax stuff might be in that set. I need to check the T&Cs at some point (plan to either buy a car or a laptop).
  • oscarhugo
    • 16th Jan 08, 11:14 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 11:14 AM
    I also think it's a fair bet that, as well as making a charge for paying by credit card, HM Revenue & Customs [their fancy new name] almost certainly won't accept Amex...
    Expect the worst & hope for the best...
  • oscarhugo
    • 16th Jan 08, 11:27 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 11:27 AM
    Also-also - it's my guess that the Taxman won't charge 'only' 1% for using a credit card; it's more likely to be in the region of 2.5 or 2.75%. But we'll see.
    Expect the worst & hope for the best...
  • pauldbate
    • 18th Jan 08, 8:46 AM
    Revenue - Will not let me pay by credit card
    • 18th Jan 08, 8:46 AM
    I've just phoned the Revenue to ask if it possible to pay my tax bill by credit card and they said no.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 18th Jan 08, 4:10 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 18th Jan 08, 4:10 PM
    • 18th Jan 08, 4:10 PM
    Hi Pauldbate

The revenue isn't doing it yet - it'll probably be for next year's tax.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • David Mee
    • By David Mee 30th Jan 08, 11:46 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    David Mee
    • 30th Jan 08, 11:46 AM
    • 30th Jan 08, 11:46 AM
    What about credit card cheques? They should accept these shouldn't they? I have been offered 0% on existing card for purchases and they sent cheques along with letter. Am I right in thinking these will be fee free??
  • laulau80
    • 31st Jan 08, 1:14 PM
    tax nightmare
    • 31st Jan 08, 1:14 PM
    on collecting mail from our previous address yesterday - my boyfriend found a letter from the HMRC (he told them of our change of address months ago). This informed him that he owes double the amount of tax than he thought - oh dear.
    He is unable to pay the full amount of tax and can't pay for it with a credit card. The banks is offering him a loan at a scary 19.8%.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to pay this without the huge interst rate? HMRC has extended his payment dealine until monday - how kind!
    We'd be eternally gratedul for any help.
  • rodent
    Spoke to Egg today .....Payment to HMRC is definately classed as a purchase.

Also spoke to HMRC, fees are:
    1.25% for internet payment
    0.91% if you pay over the phone

also confirmed that agreement has been reached with "most cc providers" that Tx will be treated as a "Purchase" and NOT a cash advance.

Fantastic for stoozers using cashback cards !!

Payment by cc now live and running ....Merry Xmas !!

The Rodent
  • Airwolf1
    on collecting mail from our previous address yesterday - my boyfriend found a letter from the HMRC (he told them of our change of address months ago). This informed him that he owes double the amount of tax than he thought - oh dear.
    He is unable to pay the full amount of tax and can't pay for it with a credit card. The banks is offering him a loan at a scary 19.8%.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to pay this without the huge interst rate? HMRC has extended his payment dealine until monday - how kind!
    We'd be eternally gratedul for any help.
    Originally posted by laulau80
    Ring HMRC up and try to enter into an arrangement, explain the circumstances and see what they say.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
    • lic
    • By lic 23rd Dec 08, 5:04 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    lic

I thought paying for things via the net was normally cheaper than speaking to a human being!
    Lic.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 25th Jan 09, 2:47 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    darren72
    Is anyone able to confirm whether their transactions have gone through as purchases to the HMRC ?

Thanks
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 27th Jan 09, 1:29 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan

I thought paying for things via the net was normally cheaper than speaking to a human being!
    Originally posted by lic
    I spoke to a very abrasive HMRC telephone payments line girl today who told me that my credit card card issuer would be charging me 0.91% for the credit card transaction if made on the phone. She had no clue whatsoever about online payment arrangements and said it was nothing to do with her (i.e. totally disinterested in the customer and their choices for making payment).

I told her this was impossible as it was either a normal merchant payment transaction attracting no fee from my card issuer or a cash transaction that attracted fees that they, HMRC, would not be in a position to know and would vary by card issuer. This bored, arrogant, sulky, around 25 year old female did not want to know about the facts though. Eventually I spoke to her supervisor (older and thick but quite nice) and he said the actual official training to his section was that card issuer was charging the customer the 0.91% (typical HMRC Board slight of hand like their corporate lie that their 0845 phone numbers are "local rate") but he agreed that the sum would actually be added to the amount debited in HMRC's name.

So in reality HMRC is charging 0.91% for credit card payments on the phone but trying to make it seem like your card issuer is charging it directly (rather than HMRC recouping its costs on the amount you are billed by them as is actually happening). As both my Shell Mastercard and Egg Money cards only pay 1% cash back it scarcely seems worth it as 0.09% of Ł7,000 is only Ł6.30 and I'm concerned my card issuer might decide it is not a merchant transaction but a cash transaction at the end of the day. Also I would only be able to pay about Ł6,000 using these two cards given my current credit limits on them combined.

Why would they be charging 1.25% for online payment. Madness when you consider the time of the staff who take the manual payments. If they can do 0.91% on the phone it ought to be 0.75% online. Something wrong somewhere.
    • teddie2003
    • By teddie2003 27th Jan 09, 9:15 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    teddie2003
    Spoke to Egg today .....Payment to HMRC is definately classed as a purchase.

also confirmed that agreement has been reached with "most cc providers" that Tx will be treated as a "Purchase" and NOT a cash advance.

Fantastic for stoozers using cashback cards !!

Payment by cc now live and running ....Merry Xmas !!

The Rodent
    Originally posted by rodent
    Does anybody know who the "most CC providers" are that will treat it as a purchase rather than a cash advance?
    Val
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 27th Jan 09, 10:00 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Does anybody know who the "most CC providers" are that will treat it as a purchase rather than a cash advance?
    Originally posted by teddie2003
    The only way to be sure is to call your card issuer and ask if they can tell you if they have HMRC down as an ordinary transaction in their database. However its pretty clear that HMRC are actually adding 0.91% (phone) or 1.25% (online) to the value of what you are paying to cover the commission they pay to Visa or Mastercard and with that being so it would be pretty surprising if it was not being treated as a normal merchant transaction. Most payments to HMRC are for several thousands and so these rather low credit card charge percentage charges they have agreed with Visa and Mastercard make sense. The card issuers obviously know that a lot of people paying these large sums will then end up borrowing the money for many months and paying them interest.

However as HMRC do not take Amex there are only going to be a small number of people with Visa or Mastercards in the initial higher commission period who will make anything much on this and only if they pay by phone and not online............
    • teddie2003
    • By teddie2003 28th Jan 09, 6:42 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    teddie2003
    Well, I've checked with Lloyds and if you use the Duo card, then Lloyds are saying that it is a "purchase" so hopefully I will get Air miles on my purchase.
    Val
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 28th Jan 09, 7:25 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Well, I've checked with Lloyds and if you use the Duo card, then Lloyds are saying that it is a "purchase" so hopefully I will get Air miles on my purchase.
    Originally posted by teddie2003
    Well if you really feel that Air Miles are worth more than the 0.91% additional charge for paying by Mastercard on the telephone or the 1.25% additional charge for paying by Mastercard on the internet then I suppose you could do this. But bearing in mind there is an additional cash charge here and that the Mastercard Duo Air Miles allocation rate is only 1 mile for every Ł50 of spend then I would strongly recommend not doing so. HMRC will not let you pay with the Duo Amex card on which you would get one one Air Miles for very Ł10 spend, although even then I would strong recommend against paying extra to earn the Air Miles.

The only people for whom using a credit card makes any sense are those who are getting 1.25% or more cashback on a Visa or Mastercard as an initial offer. I know of no Visa or Mastercards that pay more than 1% cashback as the long term run on rate.

Everyone else should pay their HMRC bill using their debit card, which there is no additional fee charged by HMRC to use.
    You are aware you are going to be charged 0.91% or 1.25% extra for paying on your Visa or Mastercard aren't you?:confused:
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 31st Jan 10, 6:53 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Couldn't you Stooze the money and get back more than the 0.91% fee?

For instance I could offset it against my 5% mortgage and make 4%

Is this just Self Assessment - can you pay PAYE, VAT and CT with CC?
    Last edited by stphnstevey; 31-01-2010 at 8:52 PM.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 23rd Feb 10, 6:34 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Whats the number to call to pay on the phone by credit card?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,603Posts Today

8,451Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin