Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 8th Jan 08, 5:35 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Ken Ďsaveí Deidreís kids from being taken into care?
    • 8th Jan 08, 5:35 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Ken Ďsaveí Deidreís kids from being taken into care? 8th Jan 08 at 5:35 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Ken ‘save’ Deidre’s kids from being taken into care?

Arriving at the local cash machine, Ken gets stopped by a panicky young woman who’s leaving the ATM in tears. She says her name’s Deidre, and asks Ken to help her out with £10; she’s run out of electricity, the bank won’t let her take any money out, and social services are about to come and inspect her house. She says they’ll take her kids away if they see it how it is; that’s all Ken knows. Should Ken give Deidre the cash?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

What should Baby do about Johnny's stalk?

Should Gordon pay to have Tony’s eggs?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 08-01-2008 at 8:44 PM.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Jan 08, 5:38 PM
    • 17,564 Posts
    • 44,416 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Jan 08, 5:38 PM
    • 8th Jan 08, 5:38 PM
    Call me a cynic, but I'd say it ranks alongside the person who's lost their mobile/wallet and needs cash to get home.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • stebiz
    • By stebiz 8th Jan 08, 6:05 PM
    • 6,271 Posts
    • 32,619 Thanks
    stebiz
    • 8th Jan 08, 6:05 PM
    • 8th Jan 08, 6:05 PM
    There is no way I'd give her the tenner. First of all I agree with the last post and secondly if the kids were having to put up with no elecy they would be better off in care.

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
    • Thunderbird
    • By Thunderbird 8th Jan 08, 11:51 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Thunderbird
    • 8th Jan 08, 11:51 PM
    • 8th Jan 08, 11:51 PM
    Yes, he should! I would! Giving makes you feel good. Always help people when you can. She might not be honest, but, I wouldn't forgive myself if she was! If He can't afford to give a tenner, then he should at least give what he can afford, even if it was a quid!!

Keep the faith in people.
  • lucien2k
    • 8th Jan 08, 11:54 PM
    • 8th Jan 08, 11:54 PM
    Can always go to the shop with her and pay for it.
    • Madwelshmam
    • By Madwelshmam 9th Jan 08, 12:26 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Madwelshmam
    • 9th Jan 08, 12:26 AM
    • 9th Jan 08, 12:26 AM
    I'd go to a shop and pay it for her, what goes around...

(but I'd also ask where the kids were at moment...)
    Hello
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 9th Jan 08, 1:11 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 9th Jan 08, 1:11 AM
    • 9th Jan 08, 1:11 AM
    No - if things are that dire, she needs more help than a passing tenner
  • mrs-d
    • 9th Jan 08, 1:21 AM
    • 9th Jan 08, 1:21 AM
    Yes - I would but I'd like to think I'd ask her to go and buy it for her.
    Official DFW Member no:410
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 9th Jan 08, 6:40 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 9th Jan 08, 6:40 AM
    • 9th Jan 08, 6:40 AM
    NO SHE'S A CON ARTIST!!! :rolleyes:
    You mean to tell me she's even run out of emergency electricity!!!
    • lexa34
    • By lexa34 9th Jan 08, 7:30 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    lexa34
    He should give her the money if he likes and believes her. If the kids were to be taken into care it woldn't be jsut because she does have any power.
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • SimonC
    I'd say it was a scam - I've been asked for money in similar situations three times in the past six months, twice by the same woman. If I lived in a small village perhaps it'd be different, but here in London my wallet stays firmly in my pocket and if I'm giving money it's via a registered charity.
  • cazrobinson
    if i had the money i would go with her and put a tenner in her leccy - been there, done that and what is it to you - just a tenner!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • climbgirl
    I hear a similar story once a week from a guy who seems to work the tube stations at the northern end of the Jubilee line. His kid has just been taken to hospital and he doesn't have any money to get there, etc.

It'd be more convincing if he didn't tell the same story every week...
  • phemalee
    I'd say it sounds like a scam. Why wouldn't she ask a friend or family member instead of a perfect stranger? I've had people ask me for money before because they can't get home, then the following week they are 'stranded' yet again!

• Frequent Flyer UK
    There but for the grace of God go I
    There is no way I'd give her the tenner. First of all I agree with the last post and secondly if the kids were having to put up with no elecy they would be better off in care.

Stebiz
    Originally posted by stebiz

You incurred the debt and were responsible for that debt and you were fortunate you wiggled out of the contract you entered into. If you had not wiggled out of the debt what could of happened to you , bankruptcy, losing your home etc etc

Poverty is a vicious and simple trap to fall into and in many cases it is a result of personal circumstances eg separation, a partner not paying maintenance.

It is a problem with today's society that we are so cynical and quick to judge.

Personally I would have helped by going to a shop with her. Travel scams different matter have witnessed them at airports and stations all over Europe.
    • whosforachat
    • By whosforachat 9th Jan 08, 9:44 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    whosforachat
    Phemalee "I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter". You cannot choose to be smarter; intelligence is innate. That is like saying "I will do something I am perfectly able to do if you do something you are incapable of doing". Nice!
    • whosforachat
    • By whosforachat 9th Jan 08, 9:46 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    whosforachat
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter
    Originally posted by phemalee
    You cannot choose to be smarter; intelligence is innate. That is like saying "I will do something I am perfectly able to do if you do something you are incapable of doing". Nice!
    • loveandlight
    • By loveandlight 9th Jan 08, 9:47 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    loveandlight
    I would give her the money without question. At the end of the day if she is scamming then she answers to god. People nowadays are far too judgemental and want to believe the person is scamming so they don't have to put their hand into the pocket and give.

Through no fault of my own whatsoever, I was in a similar dire situation myself several years ago and apart from two people, no-one else wanted to know. I was judged and people were quite happy to turn their backs on me, telling me how it was our own fault etc. Some of these replies are just typical of that kind of a reaction.

Thanks to just one amazing person who helped us to a level that was truly breathtaking, our lives completely turned around again and if you met me you would never ever know what had happened before.

That whole experience has shown me the two sides of people. How nasty people are and yet at the same time, how wonderful.
    Last edited by loveandlight; 09-01-2008 at 9:50 AM.
    • kit
    • By kit 9th Jan 08, 9:54 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    kit
    No I wouldnt give her the money. If she was a friend, then yes I would but not a stranger.
    2012 wins approx £11,000 including 5k to spend on a holiday
    • donglefan
    • By donglefan 9th Jan 08, 10:04 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    donglefan
    Never do this.
    In a naive moment I handed over £60 to a woman with a sad story hanging out near a cashpoint - turned out it was a pack of lies and she was after money for her next drug fix (as the police told me.)
    When I told my housemate about it he said the same woman had got £20 from him with the same story.
    She was able to sham tears and make out she was in a right old state.
    Last edited by donglefan; 17-01-2008 at 1:18 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,129Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter