Covert Recording

Hi,
Posting on behalf of a Family member who believes they are being covertly recorded in work. I'm going to keep this generic on their request. I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this but the CAB section appears to be locked so apologies if this is misplaced.

Context - Said family member is a manager in a small shop that is part of a larger centrally managed chain. They received verbal confirmation from a 3rd party maintenance individual that the maintenance individual previously installed a hidden microphone system that is actively being used to record the conversations of staff on a daily basis. There is no CCTV system in place and none of the staff (including my relation who is the branch manager) have ever been made aware that they are being recorded in any way. There is also no company surveillance policy in place that indicates any levels of monitoring. There is no concern of anything being used against them or anything like that but it has just generally sowed a seed of mistrust and anxiousness into my family members mind. It's just not a nice feeling to them that they know their employer feels the need to secretly record all of their conversations without ever making them aware that it is happening.

We are curious whether or not this kind of covert monitoring is actually legal and whether or not to raise it at a higher level in some way that doesn't implicate the maintenance individual. I.e. locate the microphones and pose it as a "stumbled across this, what is it??" kind of question.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    'Verbal confirmation' - what question did you ask? What makes you think the maintenance individual is telling the truth?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dox wrote: »
    'Verbal confirmation' - what question did you ask? What makes you think the maintenance individual is telling the truth?

Quite. I suspect he said it as a wind-up, not expecting his audience to be quite so gullible. Do you seriously think that Head Office has people listening in to their stores, it would require ridiculous manpower and to what effect?
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If it's true .
    you can monitor staff without their knowledge if:

You suspect they’re breaking the law
    letting them know about it would make it hard to detect the crime
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Let us know when the family member finds the microphones.

Plus the team of people employed and paid to monitor the conversations.
    Let's say there are 4 microphones. To properly monitor the conversations "they" would need 4 people. These would be people of some clearance level to work on secretive stuff so you're probably looking at £120,000 just in salaries, plus equipment and all the ancillaries. So that's maybe £200,000 to monitor this shop.

Unless the small shop is a front for a spying or criminal operation of huge importance, it simply won't be true.

If it were true I can't imagine for 1 second it would be legal or admissible in evidence anyhow. So even less likely.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Jsacker wrote: »
    Of course, there is slightly more to the bit you quoted:

No wonder they left the link out from their source ;)
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,322
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did this conversation take place on 1 April?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • With regards to whether not it is true and the verbal communication received, what I meant is that the individual confirmed in person that they installed a recording system that staff were unaware of. This was a result of a conversation had off premises, at their request as they "did not want to be recorded"

Some of you have suggested that this is unrealistic and a wind up which was my first reaction too but I'm unsure why the guy would do that.

My relation is not going to bluntly ask them "are you secretly recording us" but they have their own genuine concerns over the security of the premises and want to suggest a CCTV system be installed. This is actually required to meet certain industry specific standards relating to the security of the premises, perhaps they will come forward and reveal they already have some kind of system installed to cover this off.

There is no accusation (or major concern) in play here from any party, it was just a genuine curiosity from us as to whether or not this kind of thing is legal, if indeed it is even true in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure