PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Buying a new build in a chain

Hi all

My partner and I have been looking at moving from our new build into another new build due to a change in circumstances. We've found a few developments in the locations we'd consider and they seem to be struggling to sell - there are quite a few which have had their prices reduced already.

My main concern is having to be SSTC before we can reserve - we bought our current house as FTBs and a plot that was already built which we preferred. If we could do that again, then great, otherwise it seems to very reliant on luck.

We would be using HTB again, so can't use a developers part exchange scheme (which says 30% increase in value which the houses we're looking at aren't anyway) but can use one of their "assisted" moving packages where they pay fees, etc. But even using these schemes, nothing is reserved or held.

We are looking to port our mortgage due to high ERCs but apparently moving into rented to break the chain would mean paying the ERC and according to our adviser, not many lenders let you have a grace period these days.

Like I say, it seems like all of this just comes down to luck but surely this can't be the case? I see people moving into new builds up and down the country and not everyone is a FTB. So I'm wondering what the best way to proceed is? Do we just get ours up on the market ASAP and hope ones we like currently are still available? Or do we wait until we know one is coming up soon in the next 6 months or so and then hope it's completed on time?

Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You will need your house SSTC before you can reserve for the developer to consider you proceedable.

Luck will place a part but if its a small chain, ie 1 person, and the development isn't selling well then you will be ok.
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Find a site and ask what they have. If you are not on the market, many will offer an assisted house sale scheme and pay your sale costs, or part exchange (note you cannot Part Exchange and do HTB). Lots of sites have stock houses at the moment due to Brexit situation slowing down the market.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    Is the place you're buying still being built? What's the estimated date for it being ready?
  • xthrash
    xthrash Posts: 18
    First Post
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Is the place you're buying still being built? What's the estimated date for it being ready?

We don't know yet - we have our eye on a few different plots at different developments. One will be ready to move in next month apparently, the others have been released and can be reserved. Having looked at the others from the outside, they look ready but apparently not finished inside yet (as we wanted to have a look inside but we were told we can't until the end of the month).

We don't want to rush to get ours on the market, sell up and then be in a position whereby all of the plots we liked have gone and we have to sit around waiting for a new plot to be released which then may not be ready for a good few months - I don't know what most builders timelines are in terms of when they're released and when they're completed.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    xthrash wrote: »
    We don't know yet - we have our eye on a few different plots at different developments. One will be ready to move in next month apparently, the others have been released and can be reserved. Having looked at the others from the outside, they look ready but apparently not finished inside yet (as we wanted to have a look inside but we were told we can't until the end of the month).

We don't want to rush to get ours on the market, sell up and then be in a position whereby all of the plots we liked have gone and we have to sit around waiting for a new plot to be released which then may not be ready for a good few months - I don't know what most builders timelines are in terms of when they're released and when they're completed.
    If they're onto internals, then they'll probably be ready by the time the chain's all complete and the legals have progressed.

Anything that's not yet weathertight, though...
  • HanPop
    HanPop Posts: 185
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We were in this position a year ago and I also wondered how people managed. I think most people do not know that you can use the help to buy equity loan even if you are not a first time buyer (well that’s what I encountered) so lots of them part exchange which makes the process much easier. With our house I knew the plot I wanted would be released around April time so we decided to put our house up for sale last February as I didn’t know how quickly we’d sell. We actually sold in 6 days so I went to the developer to ask about the plot I wanted but they actually had another that was built and when we looked at it the plot was really good so we reserved that one. So basically it was luck that someone else’s sale had just fallen through and that the built plot was available. To be honest I’d just get your house up for sale as soon as you can and then go and enquire at the developments you like once you’re SSTC and see what is available at that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure