Wrong name in email interview invite - help!!

I had an email inviting me to come in to an interview for a job I applied for. I was about to write an email back confirming my attendance when I realised that the person who wrote it had got my name wrong. Should I mention this in my response and if so how/what do I say?

Comments

• How wrong is wrong? If it's just a misspelling then I wouldn't worry - just send your reply as normal and move on.

A completely different name then panic!!!! Assuming that it's definitely you they want to see then confirm your attendance.

The interviewers will have your cv/application form in front of them so don't worry.
    ::A
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The interviewers will have your cv/application form in front of them so don't worry.

Not necessarily. They should, but it has been known....!

Otherwise agree entirely with your answer.

OP - trust the invitation is indeed for you, and good luck.
  • Yes bet a typo. I turned into Harriott (not even close to my name at all and as much as I was tempted to reply with who? couldn't be doin with it) once when I received an unsuccessful email after interview, one time quite a few years ago (and well before GDPR) an interviewer forwarded me another candidates initial email query about the job which clearly got mixed up when sending out interview invites!

I would maybe if you can when replying just remove wrong name altogether or respond Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening - an employer after a recent initial cut and paste offer interview email (it was made clear this is a "first round interview" and from timings given they intend to see 10 people, not bad for a 16k job....) on the second reply to confirm address/find us locations I notice they didn't use my name when you think it would be other way round so I think you'll be ok. I wouldn't be tempted to point out errors until it gets to the big stuff.

There is an old thread on here once about someone getting offered a job who didn't actually attend the interview!! Now in the end they had to come clean so like I say at this stage I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The number of times I see Neal in correspondence as opposed to what it says on the left of this box...
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,925
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had an email inviting me to come in to an interview for a job I applied for. I was about to write an email back confirming my attendance when I realised that the person who wrote it had got my name wrong. Should I mention this in my response and if so how/what do I say?
    Probably the person did a copy and paste for the people coming to the interview.

If it were me ... I'd phone and check that they're really expecting me and check the date/time.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    marlot wrote: »
    Probably the person did a copy and paste for the people coming to the interview.

If it were me ... I'd phone and check that they're really expecting me and check the date/time.

OP this^^

Just ring them.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    If the name is completely wrong rather than just a typo I would definitely get on to the company to check. It may be the wrong name on an e-mail intended for you, but it may be the correct name sent to the wrong e-mail address.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Call and confirm. I went for an interview once where all had appeared correct, walked in to room to be asked about my work with xyz: a look of confusion and I had to politely ask who did they think they were interviewing as I had no connection with the employer they were asking about.

Exited the room 5 minutes later leaving a red faced HR manager.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • I would respond back and ask about the typo. It shows you have eagle eyes - are you sure you meant to call me Sally? My names Bernard

I had an conversation with a firm about an interview once, agreed a date and time, and then the email of confirmation came through with a different date and time. I emailed back and had to check, and he had made a typo. Went for the interview, I didn't like the place, but I was offered the job - turned it down

I went in to far too much detail there.
    With love, POSR <3
  • When replying to confirm attendance I would simply include my name (correctly spelt) at the foot of the email, and I think I'd also add: (PS - please note for your HR records that my name is spelt as above).

I'd do this because although it may be a simple typo, I can also see it being something that could persist and cause problems further down the line.

(I've had similar problems because I've always been known by my middle name rather than my first name, and I had to spend what seemed like half my working life explaining my name is YYY rather than XXXX. Unless your prospective employer is particularly sensitive or precious they shouldn't be worried about you pointing out the error. If they are, I wouldn't want to work for them!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure