PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! £500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property

Comments

• EHomer
    EHomer Posts: 12 Forumite
    I've never heard of a cleaning bill from sale of property. I cleaned in the cupboards and even wiped skirting boards before hoovering. I made sure it was empty and to a good standard. Or so I thought.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    EHomer wrote: »
    I've never heard of a cleaning bill from sale of property. I cleaned in the cupboards and even wiped skirting boards before hoovering. I made sure it was empty and to a good standard. Or so I thought.
    Just ignore them.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    EHomer wrote: »
    That wasn't my reply. That was solicitors email.
    But presumably your solicitor did not reply without consulting you and being instructed by you?

What exactly did your solicitor's reply say?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Absolute nonsense. If you did pay this you'd be the first person EVER. I've been on these boards close to 13 years and this is the first time I've even SEEN such a ridiculous 'bill' ... it's not a bill, it's bog paper.

Just ignore it.

They're just mad.
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As everyone else has said - ignore it.

Why would you be expected to pay for their paint etc. Totally ridiculous.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,139
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    But presumably your solicitor did not reply without consulting you and being instructed by you?

What exactly did your solicitor's reply say?

We don't know that the OP's solicitor has replied, just that he received the e-mal from his solicitor including the extract of the buyer's complaint (I being the buyer?

Good Afternoon
    We have received a complaint from the buyers solicitors in relation to the state of the property when the buyer moved in. Please see below extract received:

See below list of items/expenses I would expect to be compensated for:
    I've also included expenses related to cleaning this property to make it suitable for living, as per previous pictures you can see that property hasn't been cleaned for a while
    etc etc

And I simply don't see that the OP can be responsible for the outlay.
  • seradane
    seradane Posts: 306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    To the other commenters - sounds like this is the first contact they've recieved from their solicitor, it just appears their solicitor has already responded to the buyer's first query (to tell them to take drinks, etc off).

First off, you're right - your solicitors are useless.

I would just respond politely and in no uncertain terms telling them it's none of your business and you aren't responsible for any costs they may or may not incur.

Then ignore any follow up
  • EHomer
    EHomer Posts: 12 Forumite
    The solicitors spoke to them without my consent yes. My only knowledge of this was from.today and the solicitor email is detailed above from good afternoon until kindest regards.
  • £650 labour charge for cleaning a house and a bit of redecorating (£38 of paint won't go far)???

They were robbed :D
  • seradane
    seradane Posts: 306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    We don't know that the OP's solicitor has replied, just that he received the e-mal from his solicitor including the extract of the buyer's complaint (I being the buyer?

The end of the solicitor's email says:
    I did receive receipts from the buyers solicitors some time ago but as these included costs for drinks etc I have already asked for a revised list. I look forward to your comments on the above.

So this is apparently OP's solicitor advising OP that they've already asked the buyer's solicitor for a revised list of expenses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure