Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 6th Aug 05, 3:04 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 6th Aug 05, 3:04 PM
    • 6th Aug 05, 3:04 PM
    I usually only use cheese sauce for the topping, I think that it can be sickly when the cheese sauce in the layers gets mingled with the meat. So - could you just put a coating of creme fraiche with grated cheese on the top as an alternative 'sauce'
  • najtaek
    • 6th Aug 05, 3:09 PM
    • 6th Aug 05, 3:09 PM
    Thanks Apprentice I will try that.

Hopefully it will tast OK and I agree with you I only ever use the cheese sauce on top too. Actually white sauce with grated cheese seperately.

J
    if life deals you a lemon make lemonade
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Aug 05, 3:53 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 6th Aug 05, 3:53 PM
    • 6th Aug 05, 3:53 PM
    I always use a cheese sauce.

A layer of mince, then a layer of lasagna. Put some cheese sauce on that and add another layer of lasagna.

Repeat.

The cheese sauce is largely kept between the lasagna sheets.

Then I add extra cheese to the top sauce layer.

YUM
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • competitionscafe
    • 6th Aug 05, 4:00 PM
    • 6th Aug 05, 4:00 PM
    If you have some spare creme fraiche left over here is a yummy idea I tried the other night:

lightly dust some skinless chicken breasts in seasoned flour
    pan fry them until cooked, keep warm
    add some chopped shallots to the pan and cook until softened
    add some white wine and chopped tarragon
    cook until reduced by half
    stir in some creme fraiche, add the chicken breasts and simmer for a minute or so to heat through - that's it, serve with veg or salad.

optional:
    you can also add some mushrooms to the pan when you put in the shallots or you can just chuck in some of those bottled italian (anti pasta?) ones when you add the creme fraiche. (that's what I did as I didn't have any fresh ones)

[you should end up with a nice creamy, herby wine (and mushroom) sauce]

optional: you can add some chicken stock when the wine is reduced by half and then reduce by half again (I didn't bother)

yummy!

you can also add a teaspoon of creme fraiche to scrambled eggs - makes them nice and creamy!
    Last edited by competitionscafe; 06-08-2005 at 4:02 PM.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 6th Aug 05, 7:10 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    • 6th Aug 05, 7:10 PM
    • 6th Aug 05, 7:10 PM
    I have "invented" a way of making Lasagne, that is a little cheaper than normal and very handy to know when you run out of Lasagne sheets - Make "Pancake Lasagne" - I now it sounds odd but it really works and you can make leakproof Lasagne too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,514Posts Today

6,099Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin