Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:13 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Low credit score
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:13 PM
    Low credit score 9th Oct 19 at 9:13 PM
    Hi all....

New to the site and forums , so go easy ...

I’ve just returned from living abroad and my credit file and credit score is almost none existent...

I’ve got a new bank account with Lloyd’s , and a sim only contract with three....but I can’t seem to get anything else... (I’ve done a eligibility checker for credit building credit card) and was told my credit score is to low....

I don’t know what else I can do to get my score up????

Any advice ??

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Ashley0161; 09-10-2019 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 9th Oct 19, 9:24 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:24 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:24 PM
    How long have you been back in the UK?

How long have you lived at your current address?

Have you put yourself on the Electoral Register at your current address?

Ignore your 'credit score' as lenders neither use it nor see it.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• nic_c
    • By nic_c 9th Oct 19, 9:27 PM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:27 PM
    It's not your score that is too low, bu your history too short. Nothing but a new bank account (the sim only might not show), so a high risk. You need to wait and build some history - which credit building card did you try?
    • Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Thanks for replying ....Iíve been back since July ...at the address since July ...I have done the electoral roll and they have sent me a letter saying I will be added on the 1st November 2019 .....
    • Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    I did the capital one check, it said credit score to low ...I tried marbles and another one too....all said no 😩
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 9th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    ...I’ve been back since July ...at the address since July ...I have done the electoral roll and they have sent me a letter saying I will be added on the 1st November 2019 .....
    Originally posted by Ashley0161
    Be patient. Wait until your registration with ER has been completed and recorded on your three credit files before making any more applications.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:30 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:30 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:30 PM
    On my credit file now my Lloyd’s bank account is showing and the three contract is showing also ...but that’s it
    • Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    Ok will do thanks ....Iím guessing it will be next year now before it shows on my credit file?

As I was told that the register is updated in December then it takes about 6 weeks for credit ref agencyís to get it and update?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 9th Oct 19, 9:35 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:35 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:35 PM
    ...I’m guessing it will be next year now before it shows on my credit file?

As I was told that the register is updated in December then it takes about 6 weeks for credit ref agency’s to get it and update?
    Just keep checking your three credit files from November onward and eventually your ER will be recorded. Once that happens, you should be able to get a card from maybe Lloyds (your bank) or from one of the sub-prime options...(CapitalOne, Aqua, Vanquis)...

I love my job

• Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:37 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Ok thanks ...patience isn’t my best feature , but I guess I’ll just have to wait ����

The bank wouldn’t even (and still won’t ) add an overdraft to my account ..I’ve read having one but not using it can help build credit score ??
    Last edited by Ashley0161; 09-10-2019 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 9th Oct 19, 9:41 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    You have already got the easy-to-get credit accounts, (your Lloyds current account and your SIM only mobile account. It is easier to get a card than getting an overdraft. And yes, having an overdraft and not using the facility would build positive credit management data on your credit files.

But like I said, you should ignore your score. Just focus on building positive data in your credit file, so that you look more attractive to lenders.

I love my job

• Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:43 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Does having more than one bank account do more harm than good ? Or is it ok to have 2 ?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 9th Oct 19, 9:49 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    The only thing that builds a positive data history is to successfully manage the accounts that you currently have. This will be recorded on your three credit files. You want the evidence to show that you are a safe pair of hands, that you can be trusted to manage credit...

I love my job

• Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Ok so paying the phone contract every month and running the bank account normally will eventually raise my score ....I’ll stick with what I’ve got and give it time...hopefully it will start to increase ...thanks for all the help and advice given
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Oct 19, 9:52 PM
    • 6,787 Posts
    • 4,534 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    You’re still going on about the score.

Ignore the score - lenders don’t care about or use it in lending decisions.

You need to allow time for everything to start building history.

Don’t get an overdraft.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 9th Oct 19, 9:54 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Ok so paying the phone contract every month and running the bank account normally will eventually raise my score ....I’ll stick with what I’ve got and give it time...hopefully it will start to increase ...thanks for all the help and advice given
    You really need to stop focussing on your score...building positive data is all that's important...

I love my job

• Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 9:55 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161
    Ha ha sorry ....its just because when you log onto the credit report sites , it gives you the score and says VERY POOR :
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Oct 19, 10:23 PM
    • 35,227 Posts
    • 22,244 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Ha ha sorry ....its just because when you log onto the credit report sites , it gives you the score and says VERY POOR :

That's just the number they use to rate your file, just focus on your history.

Just be patient.
    Don't spend more than you earn.
    • Ashley0161
    • By Ashley0161 9th Oct 19, 10:26 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ashley0161

Thanks ..Iím just gonna give it all time now....I need to stop checking my report for a while , and go back to it in a few months and see whatís changed / updated
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Oct 19, 1:18 AM
    • 3,900 Posts
    • 2,139 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Thanks for replying ....I’ve been back since July ...at the address since July ...I have done the electoral roll and they have sent me a letter saying I will be added on the 1st November 2019 .....
    Not currently being on the eletoral roll can be a problem. Things may get better when yur name appears there.
    Have you checked to ensure that your Lloyds account and your SIM only contract are actually being reported?
    One thing than can help individuals with a completely blank credit file is to use the Credit Builder option from Cashplus (or similar). This will NOT improve your ability to obtain credit as such and is not something I would generally recommend. However, in a specific case such as yours, it can help to put something on an otherwise blank credit file to bring the file into exisatance as it were.
    Suggest you re-apply for a credit builder card when you are on the ER. You may have better luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,136Posts Today

7,787Users online

Martin's Twitter