Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick R
    • By MSE Nick R 20th Sep 19, 12:26 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Nick R
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 12:26 PM
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 12:26 PM
    Sainsbury’s is quietly trialling its new Nectar loyalty scheme across the country, with shoppers across much of the UK now able to boost their points by pre-selecting offers on certain products...
    Read the full story:
    'Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide
    '

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • minislim
    • By minislim 20th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    minislim
    • 20th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    • 20th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    i do hope they don't mess up the current scheme too much. in the past year or so the nectar scheme has been excellent. i rack up points which i stow till christmas. then spend on presents and food.

its like an unofficial christmas savings scheme.

its been so good, the food quality is much better and their prices have come down so much that i've been dragged away from my usual Asda, morrisons and Aldi shops.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 20th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 20th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    • 20th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    i

its been so good, the food quality is much better and their prices have come down so much that i've been dragged away from my usual Asda, morrisons and Aldi shops.
    Originally posted by minislim
    Really? I am a regular customer of Aldi's and do a top-up shop at Sainsbury's - largely for geographical reasons. I cannot think of a single item that is comparable with Aldi in terms of price or quality.
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Sep 19, 4:59 PM
    • 20,964 Posts
    • 124,288 Thanks
    maman
    • 20th Sep 19, 4:59 PM
    • 20th Sep 19, 4:59 PM
    Really? I am a regular customer of Aldi's and do a top-up shop at Sainsbury's - largely for geographical reasons. I cannot think of a single item that is comparable with Aldi in terms of price or quality.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I'm the same. It used to be a 50:50 shop but now I just buy a very limited number of items in Sainsburys that Aldi doesn't stock like a few herbs and spices that aren't run of the mill. If it happens it'll be interesting to see what they think my regular items are. Most of our Nectar points come from ebay.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 20th Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    • 41,548 Posts
    • 328,614 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 20th Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    • 20th Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    Similar to the old scheme that Waitrose dropped.
    Internet goodness £27214
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    • 20,964 Posts
    • 124,288 Thanks
    maman
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    Similar to the old scheme that Waitrose dropped.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    I thought that too.

I'm not sure any loyalty scheme will work these days especially for the sort of canny shoppers that post on here.

Most people I know have loyalty cards because they might just as well take advantage in a shop they'd use anyway rather than because they're attracted by the scheme.

Sainsburys keep sending me (for past 3 months) money off vouchers. For 2 months they've been £4 or £6 off a £30 spend. I've used them for YS goods (fewer and fewer available I noticed ), some store cupboard items and wine. The last lot are now off £40 spend. I'm unlikely to use them all and I'm certainly not attracted by the Nectar points I'd get.
    • JuC
    • By JuC 21st Sep 19, 10:31 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    JuC
    • 21st Sep 19, 10:31 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 10:31 PM
    No idea how I got on it, but it seems as though I have been part of this trial with a ‘new nectar’ account. Must admit I have boosted my points by 100’s and I don’t shop there that regularly, just picked my favourite offers well. I’ve liked it and found it easy to use.
    Interestingly they have never asked my opinion so I guess they are happy if it works for them.
    Last edited by JuC; 21-09-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 22nd Sep 19, 4:15 PM
    • 7,704 Posts
    • 11,342 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 22nd Sep 19, 4:15 PM
    • 22nd Sep 19, 4:15 PM
    I shop there very infrequently so any boost is welcome. Even the odd 20 or 40 point offer is going to be much more than I get now, I usually spend less than £5.

My first offers didn't have anything I wanted to use but were decently matched to past shops.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 22nd Sep 19, 4:20 PM
    • 67,481 Posts
    • 395,343 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 22nd Sep 19, 4:20 PM
    • 22nd Sep 19, 4:20 PM
    These fads and schemes never work for me as I can never reach the targets nor jump through the spending hoops to ever use any points.

They annoy me as the queue is held up while cards are asked for, swiped, etc..... bin them.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 22nd Sep 19, 10:22 PM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    20aday
    I've used the 'new' Nectar app on and off for the past couple of months, despite not being in one of the initial trial areas, and it "seems" easier to earn more points compared to the £1>1 point when they changed it a couple of years back.

One feature I do like is the fact points update within 30 seconds or so of scanning your shopping and paying.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 23rd Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    minislim
    Really? you must be luck. or i'm just unlucky. most of the fruit and veg that i get from aldi or asda doesn't seem to last more than four to five days. i'm constantly throwing stuff on the compost heap as its even beyond the sniff it and brush off the mold stage.

sainsburys on the other hand has been going well over the 7 days point. in some cases up to 2 weeks.
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Sep 19, 5:44 PM
    • 20,964 Posts
    • 124,288 Thanks
    maman
    Really? you must be luck. or i'm just unlucky. most of the fruit and veg that i get from aldi or asda doesn't seem to last more than four to five days. i'm constantly throwing stuff on the compost heap as its even beyond the sniff it and brush off the mold stage.

sainsburys on the other hand has been going well over the 7 days point. in some cases up to 2 weeks.
    I think you're unlucky with your Aldi. I do one weekly shop and everything lasts. I always try to use things up within the week but I have celery and courgettes in the fridge from last week and they're fine. I suppose it would be more difficult if I was cooking for one person but for the two of us I can easily keep up. When I see anything going past it's best (like carrots sometimes) I chop them up and put them in the freezer and it makes life easier when I'm making a casserole.

Perhaps it's a bit of extra effort but well worth it IMO for the money I save going to Aldi.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 24th Sep 19, 12:09 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bacman
    When you buy fruit and veg you can see if they are fresh; if they aren't then lasting long in your fridge it is likely your fridge is not cool enough, 4 degrees is ideal to keep food fresh for a while. I have no issue keeping most fresh food for a fortnight that way, potatoes for about 3 months. If your temperature is higher than that the food will go off quicker.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 24th Sep 19, 8:35 AM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    It's a bit OT but current advice is not to store potatoes in a fridge. The idea seems to be that storage at low temperatures encourages the production of sugars and, therefore, acrylamide when they are cooked.

Here's a link, There are others: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/storing-food-safely-potatoes
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 24th Sep 19, 8:46 AM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger

In the past I might have agreed with you about Aldi's fruit and vegetable quality but I don't find that the case any longer. There has been a substantial improvement over the past year.

In any case, F&V doesn't constitute the majority of what I buy in either store, so your original comment about Sainsbury's 'lowered' prices still puzzles me, In fact of all the major supermarkets (with the exception of Waitrose) I find Sainsbruy's the most expensive to shop in. Neither Aldi nor Lidl would be as successful as they are if that wasn'l the case.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 24th Sep 19, 9:02 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    minislim
    In the past I might have agreed with you about Aldi's fruit and vegetable quality but I don't find that the case any longer. There has been a substantial improvement over the past year.

In any case, F&V doesn't constitute the majority of what I buy in either store, so your original comment about Sainsbury's 'lowered' prices still puzzles me, In fact of all the major supermarkets (with the exception of Waitrose) I find Sainsbruy's the most expensive to shop in. Neither Aldi nor Lidl would be as successful as they are if that wasn'l the case.
    i admit i do shop like a geek and scour mysupermarket before i go shop. and i always try to do a comparison. and in most cases over the last 12 months sainsburys is either on par or slightly cheaper on the items i buy.
    with my nectar card most weeks i have a £4 to £6 off voucher a £30 to £40 shop too. so that brings the price down further.

weirdly i would end up with a £50+ trolley at aldi (and yes i try to avoid the middle aisle) whilst at sainsburys its only a fraction over £40.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 24th Sep 19, 11:57 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    Is this why there was someone haranguing me in store to download an app and use it to log my shopping as I go around the store? Or was that something different? (I never take my phone grocery shopping with me, it really seems like it ought not to be needed!)

Anyway, it does seem each time I step into Sainsbury's these days it becomes a tiny fraction less of an enjoyable visit, I just hope they don't make Nectar too complicated to understand.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • maman
    • By maman 24th Sep 19, 4:12 PM
    • 20,964 Posts
    • 124,288 Thanks
    maman
    Anyway, it does seem each time I step into Sainsbury's these days it becomes a tiny fraction less of an enjoyable visit, I just hope they don't make Nectar too complicated to understand.
    Originally posted by Paul_DNAP
    Last week at my Sainsbury's they moved the Customer Services desk into a corner of the tobacco kiosk so it's now no wider than the size of a keyboard.

This was to make extra space for another large bank of self service tills which people resolutely opt not to use.
    • uk2009
    • By uk2009 25th Sep 19, 12:04 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    uk2009
    2 or 3 months ago I lost my Nectar card. I applied for and received (weeks later) a new card. On the old card (now cancelled) I regularly received vouchers at the till for products I often bought, sometimes I was getting 5 - 10 vouchers for extra points. Now, with the new card I get absolutely NONE. Sainsburys said it can take several weeks for vouchers to resume but they never did. The person I spoke to at Nectar could not understand my complaint and thought I needed another replacement card! They were completely unhelpful.
    The vouchers I received in the past did work (from Sainsbury's point of view) and got me into the store to use them. Inevitably, as one does, I usually ended up buying extra impulse buys or trying new things. That has all now STOPPED. With NO incentive to go into store anymore I now do more shopping at Aldi. Your loss Sainsburys. You should leave things as they are and not make changes for change sake.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 26th Sep 19, 8:50 AM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 3,970 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I started reading the article but within 30 seconds decided it all looked too complicated.

I'll continue as I do now - shoving loyalty cards in the slot when I buy stuff, but disloyalty seems to pay well. I buy stuff where it's cheapest and pick up bargains close to closing time!

S'pose I'm old fashioned...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,744Users online

Martin's Twitter