Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • ancasta
    • 4th Aug 05, 2:51 PM
    • 4th Aug 05, 2:51 PM
    oh my, i add garlic to almost everything... soups, sauces, pastas, pies.

If your frying meat up, add a little of the chopped garlic to the oil before you get the meat in.

Also, my fave.... heat a little butter in a pan, add the garlic and wait till it goes golden brown, but make sure the butter doesnt burn, then pour over boiled new potatoes. yum

*drools for food at work*
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Aug 05, 3:13 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 4th Aug 05, 3:13 PM
    • 4th Aug 05, 3:13 PM
    Yep - garlic goes well with everything. Except custard
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • lipidicman
    • 4th Aug 05, 3:21 PM
    • 4th Aug 05, 3:21 PM
    Dont let Heston Blumenthal hear you say that, he is probably planning 'Garlic Custard' as we speak.......
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Aug 05, 3:26 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 4th Aug 05, 3:26 PM
    • 4th Aug 05, 3:26 PM
    You know... if you made it without sugar... hmm...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• NJO
    • 19th Aug 05, 8:33 PM
    • 19th Aug 05, 8:33 PM
    any more ideas? not very many ideas as i would have hoped. ('everything'? suggestions please)
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 19th Aug 05, 8:42 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 19th Aug 05, 8:42 PM
    • 19th Aug 05, 8:42 PM
    When using garlic, start it off in cold oil. Ie when you set the pan on the stove. Stops the garlic tasting acrid.

HTH
  • raeble
    • 19th Aug 05, 8:47 PM
    • 19th Aug 05, 8:47 PM
    I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly, just add it to anything you are cooking within reason - meat based, poultry based, fish based or vegetable based dishes at the beginning of cooking and you shouldn't go far wrong. There aren't really garlic specific recipes out there. If you cook shepherd's pie put it in when you are cooking the meat. Same for Spag Bol or Chilli. Or if you are cooking chicken, add a bit to that etc.
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 20th Aug 05, 1:29 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    • 20th Aug 05, 1:29 PM
    • 20th Aug 05, 1:29 PM
    You OS'ers probably already know this, but if you microwave your garlic cloves for 10 seconds, the skins just slide off.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th Aug 05, 2:25 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I didn't know that one. I just squish 'em under a knife blade and pick the skin off in one, or sometimes two, pieces.

• competitionscafe
    You OS'ers probably already know this, but if you microwave your garlic cloves for 10 seconds, the skins just slide off.
    by larmy16
    I didn't know that either - good tip. You can also microwave a lemon for 10 seconds before squeezing (no more - it might explode!) apparently it means you get more juice out of it. You can also put whole (unpeeled) garlic in with something you are cooking slowly (crush the clove very slightly to break the skin) - eg: with pieces of chicken in the oven - when cooked just squish the cloves and you get a tasty roast garlicky paste which is yummy.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,492Posts Today

7,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin