Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Any international health charities?

Hello.

I'm new to this place and I'm now trying to find information whether or not there are some kind of globally working charities that could possibly help individual with their surgery costs?
To be more clear, I'd need to have back operated but I can't afford such surgery and I'm looking if there is any possiblity to get some help with it.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,856
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    How long is the waiting list to have it done for free?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Janke
    Janke Posts: 4 Newbie
    I was told that I can't get it done for free as such surgeries are only for serious cases where one would lost their continence (I hope that is the right word for it) or if they wouldn't be able to feel their legs. In my case, since it's "just" pain, it's not considered to be serious even if it basically has taken my ability to perform most tasks required at work palces since both standing and sitting do cause pain.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,856
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Think your only option is starting a go fund me page, but don't expect too much help.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Janke
    That I did do today. I am aware it's a long shot but after suffering from my condition for several years, I'm ready to grasp at straws too. That's why I'm also interested in knowing if any kind of medical charities exist that could possibly help.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,966
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Janke wrote: »
    I was told that I can't get it done for free as such surgeries are only for serious cases where one would lost their continence (I hope that is the right word for it) or if they wouldn't be able to feel their legs. In my case, since it's "just" pain, it's not considered to be serious even if it basically has taken my ability to perform most tasks required at work palces since both standing and sitting do cause pain.

A family member was told exactly the same thing. She then moved to another NHS trust area and had the op within months.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,930
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A family member was told exactly the same thing. She then moved to another NHS trust area and had the op within months.
    The OP's location is Finland.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Janke
    As it was already mentioned, I live in Finland. That's why asked about internationally working charities since I don't really know any local ones either, that could help. Our public health care tends to take care of basic stuff rather well but when it comes to more complex stuff like my case, then one has fork over some money since surgeries are not provided for free unless it's a serious case and the person is poor. Since I only can check the poor part, I get no help.
  • A British based & focused forum isn't going to be much help for you, OP. Sorry.
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,871
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Lots of people in the UK who find the waiting lists too long, go to countries like Hungary or Czechia for treatments which are more affordable than here.

However, back surgery's a serious procedure and you'd need to be sure the provider's got a good reputation.

As Jenna posted, this forum's probably not the best source of information for this. Most medical charities here are extremely locally-focussed as that's the best way to ensure donations.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure