Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,312Posts
    • 32,606Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 408
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th May 19, 1:12 PM
    • 66,250 Posts
    • 389,315 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm disappointed. I'd 'excitedly' treated myself to a full and massive 8-pack of W's C/O crisps last week as I knew that these last few days would be challenging for me, so I needed to get a treat under my belt... well, 8 of them.

Not only were the first seven packets ordinary/untasty - but the final packet is the worst of the lot

I normally try to save W's crisps for a Xmas treat. I think I will try to remember not to bother again, except at Xmas when I get the ketchup ones
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th May 19, 3:11 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Reorganising my paperwork and then my chest of drawers and a load of laundry - all done.

I can't decide whether to go to get the blood tests tomorrow or Thursday. I have to fast before so stop eating or drinking anything by 10 pm so I have to decide tonight.

I had the soup which was quite thin, but tasty. I drank it from a mug instead of a bowl.

I've had a banana, two tangerines and a few pistachios as well.

I think I'm going to have a Quorn hot and spicy burger with lots of veggies and a side salad tonight.

not lazy Wednesday us working SMART
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Very true.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th May 19, 6:25 PM
    • 5,312 Posts
    • 32,606 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Brambling I think your absent colleague is, as his Scottish colleagues would say, "chancing his arm"
    How disappointing PN- Walkers used to be really reliable for a tasty crisp though tbh I've no had any of there's for years and I'm not keen on C&O flavour regardless the brand.
    Sounds like a productive day Wednesday, it never fails to amaze me how clutter gathers when I'm not looking. My dining room is real tip at the moment though mainly due to it being a half-way house for a fair bit of my Dad's stuff. I'm hoping some of that will go over the next few weeks.

I got loads done outside today (by my standards anyway) and the weather was lovely and really quite hot. I had to change into a loose skirt as my legs were boiling in my yoga pants (note to self must look out and iron my linen shorts).
    I put the most of stew together while I was waiting for an egg to hard boil for lunch. It's absolutely packed with veg so no excuse not to meet my five a day today. It's simmering gently just now and the chorizo is wafting a lovely mouth-watering smell through the house. It's turning much cooler now but I think I'll be fine in a cardi rather than needing to light the stove. It just needs a match putting to it if I decide otherwise later.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 14th May 19, 8:10 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    Brambling
    Shorts in May Caronc you'll be taking your vest off next

I'm feeling very guilty as I've kicked the cat, I didn't see him creep up behind me when I went out to the bin and as I had shoes on it was a solid kick He sat under the table for a while but did eat his treats, he has come up on my knee for ten minutes since so i think I'm forgiven, I'm hoping I imagine a slight limp in the leg he has had problems with as he got off .

Dinner was the chicken liver turned into a kind of dirty rice with chopped vegetables
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Sounds like a productive day Wednesday, it never fails to amaze me how clutter gathers when I'm not looking. My dining room is real tip at the moment though mainly due to it being a half-way house for a fair bit of my Dad's stuff. I'm hoping some of that will go over the next few weeks.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Aw, that is understandable, though. You have had a lot to deal with.xx

I'm feeling very guilty as I've kicked the cat, I didn't see him creep up behind me when I went out to the bin and as I had shoes on it was a solid kick He sat under the table for a while but did eat his treats, he has come up on my knee for ten minutes since so i think I'm forgiven, I'm hoping I imagine a slight limp in the leg he has had problems with as he got off .
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Since my cat had his thyroid out I have stepped on his tail on the staircase and knocked him out of the way when I got up from my desk.

I think there may be something wrong with his hearing/eyesight actually, I have to ask the vet.

He is being very vocal and that happened to my other cat when she got older.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 14th May 19, 10:08 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    Brambling
    Since my cat had his thyroid out I have stepped on his tail on the staircase and knocked him out of the way when I got up from my desk.

I think there may be something wrong with his hearing/eyesight actually, I have to ask the vet.

He is being very vocal and that happened to my other cat when she got older.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    They get in our way and we feel guilty for kicking them . Cats aren't always graceful

I had a older cat who got very vocal she would stand on the stairs and yowl, so she had some'Older' cat blood tests requiring sedation as she got too stressed with the noise of the clippers luckily there was nothing wrong with her but the little **** stopped yowling straight after the blood test it's just as well we love them
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th May 19, 9:51 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Yes, I do love my pets.

I prefer them to 99% of any human beings I have ever known.

I had a sandwich again for breakfast and I have some more soup for lunch.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th May 19, 10:31 AM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 13,543 Thanks
    Farway
    'Morning, back again post op, double hernia keyhole. Involved a lot of waiting around but everyone was nice & helpful, except post op waiting to go home, left hand right V hand syndrome
    Made it in the end and only slightly sore with lifting compost / digging etc forbidden, luckily this also includes lugging the lawn mower out

Had two meals in hospital, LO lukewarm shepherds' pie on Monday post op, actually I enjoyed that having not eaten for over 18 hours. Toast + porridge breakfast then fish in sauce + blobs of mash for lunch

Last night I made a wholemeal loaf, using one of the Asda YS ready mixes. Turned out well, not bad for 38P

Two CBA cheese & onion sarnies, using last of the sliced loaf, for dinner last night

Porridge, banana + HM yoghurt for breakfast this morning
    Lunch is going to be a fried egg sarnie using new HM loaf
    Dinner, I've defrosted a YS MFO nuke-able black bean & rice

Lovely sunny day, I may try & water my young plants, using the hose on dribble, not lugging 2 gallons of water just yet
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th May 19, 10:54 AM
    • 5,312 Posts
    • 32,606 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Lovely to see you back Farway and glad all went well. No lugging watering cans is not a good idea but I can't see why a little gentle pottering wouldn't be good!

Yep Brambling taking a risk talking about shorts in May, think I might have been a bit premature as it's to turn showery and a tad cooler overnight! It's lovely today though so they might make an appearance yet.

There's lots of chorizo, veg, rice mix LO from last night, I ate all of the chicken as it was only a small piece and expected some LO but there's much more than I thought there would be. Mind you there was a 3L pot almost filled to the brim with diced veg before I had added anything else so probably not so surprising! Having some tonight with a couple of poached eggs and I'll freeze the remainder. Bagel with pastrami & cream cheese and salad for lunch assuming the pastrami defrosts in time.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th May 19, 11:30 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I haven't been able to get back to sleep (hub on nights at moment) so have got up to have soup and a slice of bread to dunk.

'Morning, back again post op, double hernia keyhole. Involved a lot of waiting around but everyone was nice & helpful, except post op waiting to go home, left hand right V hand syndrome
    Originally posted by Farway
    Good to see you back and well.xx
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th May 19, 6:46 PM
    • 5,312 Posts
    • 32,606 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    It has been a glorious day though clouding over a bit now. I've managed the get a tiny patch of mild sunburn just above my wrist where I obviously missed the suncream. I managed to get a fair bit of pot shifting/filling done over a couple of sessions today. In between it was lovely to have a siesta in my cooler bedroom. I've still about 40 pots of varying sizes to plant up and just hope I have enough plants as it would be shame not to fill them all. I might get some more done tomorrow depending on what the weather does and if I've any oomph left after doing some much needed housework. I have a friend coming over on Friday who I've not caught up with ages and I would like the place to be reasonably clean & tidy. The floors certainly need swept & mopped as I seem to have trailed a fair bit of dust and soil in from the garden.

I stripped my bed earlier and washed the bedding, I've just had to re-wash the sheet as in attempting to rescue a stuck bee I managed to pull it off the rack and stand all over it with my dirty gardening shoes, I did manage to get the bee out though I'm sure it couldn't care less about my laundry.
    Easy dinner tonight, I just need to heat a portion of the rice/veg mix and poach an egg, minimal washing up too.

• flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 15th May 19, 7:13 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 8,313 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Evening all,

It's been a fairly busy week of work this week, and I was tired when I got up. But I'm now trying to commit to being available/willing to work every day until the summer holidays, as I'm not sure what my income will be during that time. So if I can build up a little reserve, that would be good.

PN, sorry the walkers were disappointing! They are usually a reliable brand! I've currently been enjoying the new Hoops Puffed range, which they do in a beef flavour. Having a packet or 2 a day, which is naughty. But when a new range comes out, that I find I enjoy, there's no guarantee of it sticking around for long, so I like to make the most of it!
    Strangely, I can easily go months between having a bag of crisps, then suddenly I'm back on them again, and having a packet every day!

Dinner this evening was the 4th and final day of the roast chicken leftovers. It was a Lidl garlic and herb roast in the bag jobby. And gotta say, the meat was as nice, or nicer, than the very similar one I did from Waitrose for Christmas, which was almost twice the cost. It's done 4 meals. Well... 3 good-sized portions, and one that looked good, but was actually mostly bone in disguise. Still even with potato on the side, and some veg, it came out at very close to a pound a portion, which I thought was good for a "meat and veg" meal.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    39.73/70 May GC
    January-April 2019 = 248.80/280

• caronc
    • By caronc 15th May 19, 7:35 PM
    • 5,312 Posts
    • 32,606 Thanks
    caronc
    Hope you are being MSE and making stock from the carcass, I do love how a whole chicken stretches into many meals.

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 15th May 19, 8:38 PM
    • 24,672 Posts
    • 28,563 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Playing catch-up ....

Saturday: Ate the last third of the Moroccan chermoula sea bream.

Sunday: Had one of the YS ready meals - 'Deluxe' moussaka - and a huge bowl of fruit and Greek yogurt.

Bolognese sauce (soffrito/ beef mince/ canned tomatoes/ sundried tomato paste/ black olive pesto/ red wine/ stock pot/ herbs/ garlic) went in the fast-slow cooker.

Monday: Two bowls of a quick chilli con carne (bolognese sauce/ spicy kidney beans/ long peppers/ green chilli) with YS organic spinach and Greek yogurt. Another huge bowl of fruit and Greek yogurt.

Tuesday: Two bowls of bolognese sauce with chestnut mushrooms and Grana padano cheese.

Cobbled together a Keralan coconut curry from bits and bats (jar sauce/ mini peppers/ broccoli/ banana shallots/ chick peas/ ginger/ garlic/ green chilli). Eaten with a couple of hard-boiled eggs and a few jumbo prawns from the freezer.

Yellow sticker: Organic kiwi fruits, tub of ricotta.

Food waste: Half a yellow apple, third of a can of chick peas.

Suffering from too much meat, too much fruit and too much wine recently I think. Craving rich/ stodgy things despite the warmer weather: bolognese, sausages, now a cheesy pie! Thinking of having a bash at making spanakopita in a few days.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening all

I love spanakopita Firefox I like to make in triangles and freeze raw, they cook from frozen in the air fryer

Glad the op went well Farway, just remember to do as your told and take it easy . No heavy lifting

Work has reached the stage for us all we are trying to test a major system upgrade but so far have found nearly 400 defects, obviously the developers aren't testing before handing it over to us, it's really frustrating and has involved being shut in a meeting room for six hours a day all month swearing and eating biscuits even my colleague who doesn't swear uttered a damn today

Lunch was another large chicken and egg salad, eaten at my desk as we're trying to catch up on the usual day to day stuff which still needs to be done, it looked lovely and sunny from the window . I going to have a walk tomorrow as I'm getting a little stir crazy and need to stretch my legs and get some fresh air .

Dinner was late for me 9pm so was lazy quorn goujons in a wrap with salad
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th May 19, 9:15 AM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 13,543 Thanks
    Farway
    Back for another lazy sort of convalescing day, YS Pukka steak & kidney out to defrost for dinner

Porridge as usual breakfast
    Lunch, no idea, dinner the pie + frozen chips I think

I may plant up two tomatoes int he conservatory, I can manage that
    I miss relaxing in there in this weather, I've got a sunbed type lounger I use, but I'd never get out of it without straining my op so best avoided

May potter into garden, my French beans need plating out in a large pot but I'll see how I feel later

FlubbZ, good plan building up a reserve, I used to do that, just take any available overtime, you never know if or when he tap could be turned off
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th May 19, 11:35 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I haven't had anything yet as I have to go and get my blood tests! Just drinking water.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th May 19, 1:26 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just had two toasted pitta with houmous and olives.

I'm still hungry, I'm going to have the last of the soup and add half a tin of green lentils to it.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th May 19, 1:44 PM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 13,543 Thanks
    Farway
    Lunch became grilled cheese on toast topped with piccalilli

Dinner still Pukka steak & kid pie + frozen chips

Made a mistake & watched Till us do part + Freddy Starr on you tube, ouch my poor old hernia hurt with laughing

Planted two toms in conservatory but decided to play safe & skip the outside Bean planting for today
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th May 19, 4:28 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had a nap as I felt woozy after getting the blood tests, it was quite warm here today too.

My shopping is coming soon, I really fancy the strawberries I ordered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,271Posts Today

6,096Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin