Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ForeverAwake
    • By ForeverAwake 3rd May 19, 3:06 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 16Thanks
    ForeverAwake
    Tesco credit card late payment without knowledge
    • 3rd May 19, 3:06 PM
    Tesco credit card late payment without knowledge 3rd May 19 at 3:06 PM
    Tesco credit card missed payment without knowledge

Iíve had a Tesco credit card for over 2 years now to build my credit history. Always made payment on time via direct debit. Last month I switched my debit amount with from fixed to the full amount. Thought this was a good step.

Yesterday, I was horrified to receive a letter from Tesco saying my account is in arrears, they sent no emails or texts beforehand. I immediately logged into my Tesco account and payed the full outstanding balance of £30.00.

I rang up and Tesco said because I changed the direct debit amount it caused my payment to not be collected for that month, which I no idea about. I should also mention I have Autism, so the small print can sometimes be confusing to me.

There is a late payment from Tesco marked on all 3 of my credit reports. Iíve raised a complaint over the phone to try get the late payment removed and theyíll be in touch within 14 days.

Is there anything I can do? Seems unfair to me and they need to review their direct debit scheme. Itís disheartening to know Iíve messed up, considering how badly Iíve been trying to build my history and now this late payment will stay for 6 years?
Page 2
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 4th May 19, 6:30 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 2,898 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Autism (or other) or not, if there’s “small-print” it will be in your t’s and c’s when signing up for the card and received thereafter.

I take it you’ve read those from top to bottom?
    • ForeverAwake
    • By ForeverAwake 4th May 19, 6:43 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ForeverAwake
    I’ve read the terms and conditions, states nothing about having to make a manual payment if you change the amount.
    • tight4rse
    • By tight4rse 4th May 19, 6:48 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    tight4rse
    I'm not sure about the whole good will argument here.

I think the op has a very valid point. If Tesco haven't warned her about the direct debit not going out I'd be asking for them to correct my credit file.

I'd be very reasonable and respectful with them (at first) in trying to get it removed. If they refuse I'd be going down the Ombudsman route.

That said this is clearly a one off honest mistake, I don't think you'll have any issues getting them to do it without having to complain.
    • ForeverAwake
    • By ForeverAwake 15th May 19, 2:05 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ForeverAwake
    Update...

Tesco have responded to my complaint. They have agreed the direct debit change wasnít made clear, and have agreed to remove the late payment from my credit file, and given me £100 compensation.

The lady has also passed my complaint onto senior management to investigate the way they handle their direct debit amendments.

In a nutshell, it should have been made to clear to myself that my direct debit wasnít going to be collected for that month.

A good outcome Iím happy with.
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 15th May 19, 2:13 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    beany_bot
    Update...

Tesco have responded to my complaint. They have agreed the direct debit change wasnít made clear, and have agreed to remove the late payment from my credit file, and given me £100 compensation.

The lady has also passed my complaint onto senior management to investigate the way they handle their direct debit amendments.

In a nutshell, it should have been made to clear to myself that my direct debit wasnít going to be collected for that month.

Originally posted by ForeverAwake
    Good job you followed your gut instinct and not the indication from some on here that seemed to suggest you were at fault. Well done.
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 15th May 19, 2:49 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    Update...

Originally posted by ForeverAwake

Excellent outcome! It just goes to show - all too often the financial organisation is automatically assumed to be in the right, when in many cases they aren't.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th May 19, 6:29 PM
    • 20,649 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    molerat
    The e-mail I received when changing the direct debit
    Thanks for choosing to pay your Tesco Bank credit card ending xxxx by Direct Debit. We'll make this change, however this cancels the existing payment with your bank. Your new Direct Debit will not come into effect until your next statement so please make alternative arrangements for this month's payment.
    Just sayin
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 15th May 19, 7:36 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    The e-mail I received when changing the direct debit
    Just sayin
    Originally posted by molerat
    What a rotten process.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,509Posts Today

6,420Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin