Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 1st May 19, 8:40 AM
    • 308Posts
    • 70Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    Free ATMs vanishing as another 1,700 have started charging - MSE News
    • 1st May 19, 8:40 AM
    Free ATMs vanishing as another 1,700 have started charging - MSE News 1st May 19 at 8:40 AM
    Almost 1,700 free ATMs have started charging for cash withdrawals between January and March this year, with 1,250 becoming fee-paying in March alone...
    Read the full story:
    'Free ATMs vanishing as another 1,700 have started charging'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 1st May 19, 10:03 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    • 1st May 19, 10:03 AM
    • 1st May 19, 10:03 AM
    Or withdraw cash at the counter.
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 1st May 19, 12:13 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    • 1st May 19, 12:13 PM
    • 1st May 19, 12:13 PM
    I'm not 100% sure why we've had them free anyway. Its a service you can choose to use or not and should have to pay for.

Otherwise its being subsidised by fees elsewhere.
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 1st May 19, 1:25 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    • 1st May 19, 1:25 PM
    • 1st May 19, 1:25 PM
    I'm not 100% sure why we've had them free anyway. Its a service you can choose to use or not and should have to pay for.

Originally posted by woolythoughts
    If you use an ATM which is in your bank and so you hold you money with them, I don't see why you should have to pay. To be honest, I don't really see why if you bank with Santander if you use a Barclays ATM why you should be charged either.

You don't pay to pay cash in, cheques in, pay bills, etc yet you still use the services provided by the ATM. I get that independent cash machines, like a petrol stations, maybe there's a charge, and that's how the providers of those ATMs make their money.

Or just use the counter.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 1st May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 1st May 19, 1:38 PM
    Or withdraw cash at the counter.
    Originally posted by 20SmthngSver

That assumes there is a bank available. As far as I'm aware most if not all charging ATMs are not part of bank networks. For instance, the Notemachine ATM at the supermarket closest to where my mum lives started to charge 2 months ago.
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 1st May 19, 2:09 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    • 1st May 19, 2:09 PM
    • 1st May 19, 2:09 PM
    That assumes there is a bank available. As far as I'm aware most if not all charging ATMs are not part of bank networks. For instance, the Notemachine ATM at the supermarket closest to where my mum lives started to charge 2 months ago.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I mean if you're in or walking past a branch. Or ask for cashback at the supermarket till.
    • Mrs Arthur Crown
    • By Mrs Arthur Crown 1st May 19, 2:58 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Mrs Arthur Crown
    • 1st May 19, 2:58 PM
    • 1st May 19, 2:58 PM
    I used to use Post Office Counters for cash withdrawals, but our nearest post offices are all more than half an hour's walk away. I am with an online bank so ATMs are reasonably important to me.

So far, our Co-op still has a free ATM, but if that ceases to be free I am going to have to plan better. Not sure if they do cashback over the counter as I have never needed to ask for it.

It is going to be tricky for thousands of people, particularly as many communities have neither a Post Office or a shop now, let alone a bank. I suppose those with a travelling bank which visits will have to be better organised than I can ever manage to be.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 1st May 19, 3:07 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    phillw
    • 1st May 19, 3:07 PM
    • 1st May 19, 3:07 PM

Originally posted by woolythoughts
    Yeah, we have a culture of free retail banking in the UK. I'm not sure how this happened as lots of countries have fees for current accounts, including fees for processing cheques.

On the radio today someone was complaining that they were being charged to get their hard earned money, as if the bank should work for free. From a MSE perspective then its annoying being charged to use a cash machine and I would look for ways to escape paying those fees, even if it required more planning.

I probably only use a cash machine a maximum of half a dozen times a year when I'm in a town, so it's not hit me at all yet.
    Last edited by phillw; 01-05-2019 at 3:09 PM.
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 1st May 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 1st May 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1st May 19, 3:08 PM
    We are moving to being a largely cashless society. Which is fine with me, until you want to pay a tradesman!
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 1st May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 3,651 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    We are moving to being a largely cashless society. Which is fine with me, until you want to pay a tradesman!
    Originally posted by Zola.
    Portable wireless card machines can be obtained cheaply and easily these days. PayPal do them, and they accept all major cards including Amex.

Yeah it costs money but not much more than the charges you'd incur paying cash into a business bank account.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 1st May 19, 3:43 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    stehouk
    Cash..........really, even tradesmen take cards, i paid a locksmith he had a mobile card machine
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 1st May 19, 3:55 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    Except for business banking, which is a real con I think. Charging you to have the account and then charging you for transactions. It can cost a business hundreds, if not thousands, a month, depending on the size of the business.
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 1st May 19, 3:56 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    Originally posted by Zola.
    We aren't actually, more people are withdrawing cash and spending cash. And then there's the black market sales or in hand sales, so who knows the volume of cash in that. There are still millions of pounds worth of paper £5 and £10 notes, and circular £1 coins, that haven't been taken back to the BOE.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 1st May 19, 4:00 PM
    • 10,840 Posts
    • 17,095 Thanks
    worried jim
    What's cash?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 1st May 19, 4:25 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Typical clickbait, who cares if they all go just buy a small item in a supermarket and get cashback.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 1st May 19, 4:29 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Takmon
    We aren't actually, more people are withdrawing cash and spending cash. And then there's the black market sales or in hand sales, so who knows the volume of cash in that. There are still millions of pounds worth of paper £5 and £10 notes, and circular £1 coins, that haven't been taken back to the BOE.
    All data shows that cash usage is going down and card usage is going up. What makes you think the opposite is happening and what source did you use for that information?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st May 19, 6:14 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I mean if you're in or walking past a branch. Or ask for cashback at the supermarket till.

Perhaps like me you live somewhere where there are still plenty of banks, but there are large parts of the population that have no easy access to a bank, and may not want to make unnecessary purchases to get cash. Although given your strange perception on cash use I'm doubting whether you have much that's useful to say anyway.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 1st May 19, 6:46 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    So far, our Co-op still has a free ATM, but if that ceases to be free I am going to have to plan better. Not sure if they do cashback over the counter as I have never needed to ask for it.
    Originally posted by Mrs Arthur Crown
    Happy to confirm that all Co-op societies currently offer cash back at the checkout in food stores with debit cards. Some have a minimum spend of £5 before you can ask for cash back on top.

Sainsbury's have trialled removing cash back from the checkout in a small number of locations.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 01-05-2019 at 6:55 PM.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 1st May 19, 6:54 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    So, if cash machine providers now get 23p instead of 25p per withdrawal, why have fee-paying machines generally started charging £1.50 rather than 2p ?

Isn't this more to do with the proliferation of unnecessary cash machines and a major reduction in the number of withdrawals per machine? If it was just the reduction in a few pence, that could be absorbed surely.

Locally to me, buses take cards, car parks take cards, the local shop is happy with a card if you've spent just £2, perfectly acceptable in the pub so many of the "still need cash" situations are disappearing fast. Others that unnecessarily remain look like fronts for tax evasion, money laundering or illegal workers. Cash only businesses are seldom justified in 2019.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 01-05-2019 at 6:58 PM.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 1st May 19, 10:01 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    TheShape
    What's cash?
    Originally posted by worried jim
    It's something that old people, tax evaders and drug dealers use to facilitate transactions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,978Posts Today

7,614Users online

Martin's Twitter