Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • plasmahal
    • By plasmahal 16th Apr 19, 8:31 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    plasmahal
    Britannia Parking Group Ltd POPLA code, how to move forward.
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:31 AM
    Britannia Parking Group Ltd POPLA code, how to move forward. 16th Apr 19 at 8:31 AM
    Hi,

I have been reading the posts and newbie guides but not sure how to approach the POPLA appeal stage. I am doing this on behalf of my daughter who is the registered keeper.

This was the appeal to Britannia Parking Group Ltd:

"You issued me with a parking ticket on 8TH March 2019 but I believe it was unfairly issued. I decline your invitation to name the driver, which is not required of me as the keeper of the vehicle. I will not be paying your demand for payment for the following reason.

There are mitigating circumstances to explain why the vehicle was parked where it was and the charge should be waived for this reason. Please see attached evidence.

On the night in question, a charge of 2.00 was paid at around 19:30 as that was the only cash available to the driver at that time. A decision was made to pay extra to extend the parking time if required later on that evening. The driver then left the car park. Later, the driver then used the PayByPhone application on their mobile phone to then pay the rest of the charge. It was then, that the driver ran into difficulties using the mobile application as selecting the required car park location was not possible due to a fault in the application. Where the application says to tap on the purple location to get started, nothing happens. The driver also attempted to find other ways via the internet e.g. the Britannia parking website and other websites to try and pay the additional charges.

Since the contravention occurred, the mobile application is still faulty. Will this be rectified soon? We have a video that proves that the application is still faulty when trying the select the required car park location.

The lack of ability to pay the additional charges via a different route, did not allow the driver to be able address any parking concerns.

If you choose to pursue the driver please be aware that I will not enter into any correspondence and this will be the only letter you will receive from me until you answer the specific points raised in my letter."

Their response and rejection of this appeal was based on Section 13 grace periods and there is a 10 minute grace period to pay any additional parking fees once the 2hrs had lapsed.

We have the POPLA code.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 4,814 Posts
    • 4,289 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    If you couldn't find any suitable POPLA appeals referred to in HERE, search the forum for POPLA appeal and pay by phone as your search terms. somebody WILL have constructed one.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Apr 19, 8:39 AM
    • 23,394 Posts
    • 37,276 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:39 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:39 AM
    You will need to read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3 to start the process of formulating a POPLA appeal. However all the mitigating circumstances outlined in the initial appeal will count for little at POPLA. Read the sticky, post #3 to learn what you need to concentrate on.

As a minimum you need to get photos of the signage in the car park, taken in the light conditions that prevailed at the time of the parking event. If in the hours of darkness, take photos without flash to show any poor illumination.

You also need good quality close ups so the terms are clear to read, as they form the purported contract between the driver and the parking company.

I am doing this on behalf of my daughter who is the registered keeper.
    Even though you are doing the work on this, it must go out in your daughter’s name.

Draft the POPLA appeal, then let us see your draft for critique.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 16th Apr 19, 8:41 AM
    • 13,056 Posts
    • 13,378 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:41 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:41 AM
    You owe these crooks nothing, they are trying to scam you, complain
    to your MP. Parliament is enacting legislation and soon they will be no more.

On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • plasmahal
    • By plasmahal 16th Apr 19, 9:19 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    plasmahal
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:19 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:19 AM
    The original PCN was a NTK received by mail that had ANPR photos and the times for entering and leaving.

I will get photos of the signs, cameras etc both in night time and day time.

Am I concentrating on the period after the initial ticket ran out? This is long after the 10 minutes stated in the BPA CoP.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 23,394 Posts
    • 37,276 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    I will get photos of the signs, cameras etc both in night time and day time.
    Night time ones only if the parking took place in the hours of darkness.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th Apr 19, 11:48 PM
    • 72,110 Posts
    • 84,454 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 18th Apr 19, 11:48 PM
    • 18th Apr 19, 11:48 PM
    Am I concentrating on the period after the initial ticket ran out? This is long after the 10 minutes stated in the BPA CoP.
    Originally posted by plasmahal
    You are concentrating on your video, I would say:
    We have a video that proves that the application is still faulty when trying the select the required car park location
    That video is your main POPLA evidence, along with photos in the dark so that the signs cannot be read (no flash).

You need to work out how to upload a video as well as an appeal PDF, to POPLA.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,326Posts Today

6,880Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• Follow Martin