Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas?

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When I search for the driver it just comes up with not supported.So I am about on the point of giving up.It really is a pretty old model,I think I have to accept it.I got into the realms of some websites promising a fix but they wanted money for it! Suspicious anyway.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Froglet wrote: »
    I have looked at Lexmark website but find it confusing and am not sure how to find the right driver to download.So far I have tried through some promising websites but avg anti virus keeps stopping any attempt.

While your at it I would get rid of avg and install Microsoft security essentials (or known commonly as MSE)
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    While your at it I would get rid of avg and install Microsoft security essentials (or known commonly as MSE)

You don't want Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 10.
    The built in Windows Defender is sufficient.
    MSE is for Windows 7 and below.

To the OP If your printer worked on Windows 7 I don't see why it wouldn't work on 10 (unless 7 was the 32 bit version and 10 64 bit).

If you still have the Windows 7 PC and it's working, you could back up the drivers on it and transfer them to a folder on the 10 PC, and try pointing the Driver wizard in Device Manager towards that folder, and see if that helps (obviously with printer connected).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html
    (same commands work in Win 7)
  • Froglet
    Forumite
    When i changed to windows 7 on my old computer from XP i did download a driver and got the printer working.That was 5 years ago.Yesterday i had a (new to me) but hubby's old one of 1 year,brought back to me by a computer expert who has transferred all the information from my old one to this windows 10.Sadly no i don't have the old one,just the hard drive to be broken up.Thanks anyway.
  • Froglet
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »

The computer wizard who had just transferred my info from my old computer to a new windows 10 put AVG on it as he reckons it's one of the best.Thanks though
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Off topic but I don't think there's much between AVG (free!) And Microsoft.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Except for the lower system resources usage, lesser nagging, and equally-effective protection offered by MS Defender versus AVG? ;)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    unsure if it will work, but you possibly could try VirtualPC, install windows 7 in it, share the printer, the use your windows 10 to print to the shared printer?
  • Froglet wrote: »
    When i changed to windows 7 on my old computer from XP i did download a driver and got the printer working.That was 5 years ago.Yesterday i had a (new to me) but hubby's old one of 1 year,brought back to me by a computer expert who has transferred all the information from my old one to this windows 10.Sadly no i don't have the old one,just the hard drive to be broken up.Thanks anyway.

It was probably the Vista driver that you got to work in Windows 7.
    But if you've already tried that without success, then you might be out of luck.
  • Froglet
    Forumite
    Thanks.What is really annoying is that only a few weeks ago I actually sold my old laptop with Vista on it as I hadn't used it for some time now I have a tablet.Which of course I could have used with the printer.....😬
    Yes I think it's time I gave up trying ,and resigned myself to getting a new one.My sister is hopefully getting hers fixed,if she can't,I will give her mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure