Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Cornucopia
Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
Forumite
edited 22 May 2021 at 10:06AM in Gone off!
Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Neither food nor grocery, I can highly recommend the Aldi Kirkton House throw blankets. They are super-soft and very warm, so much so that I bought the blanket-with-arms version to keep me nice and toasty working at my desk.

I think the worst of the winter weather is over for 2018/19 but it will get plenty of use in years to come. For c£15 and very low running costs (ie to launder) it's a v good buy.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lidl & Aldi cornflakes are both disgusting
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    edited 10 February 2019 at 10:09AM
    I stopped by Lidl yesterday to pick up three of the weekend deals that I already know are excellent:

- Deluxe Granola (I draw the line at the chocolate variety, but the Nutty and Berries varieties are very nice).

- Soft Dried Apricots.

- Italian Antipasto Platter.

I tried one of the new Lidl ready meals (the ones like Slimming World) and it was very good. Mine was the Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower Rice. One slightly odd thing (that I hope Lidl might change in due course) is that the main vegetable in the curry is cauliflower. So, overall, a lot of cauliflower in the whole dish, though I suppose you could swap out the cauliflower rice in its separate container for something else and have it later.
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    edited 10 February 2019 at 1:22PM
    New product at Lidl:

- Alpro Soya Yogurt (500g) - £1.25. I have a feeling that despite being a branded product, this is quite a good price even for the plain variety.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I agree that Aldi cornflakes are not tasty, Lidls are ok but no great shakes.
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I stopped by Lidl yesterday to pick up three of the weekend deals that I already know are excellent:

- Deluxe Granola (I draw the line at the chocolate variety, but the Nutty and Berries varieties are very nice).

- Soft Dried Apricots.
    Agreed - but my line is drawn after the nut variety. I inspected the content of the pink pack, and its nearly 50% sugar :eek:

I'm sure it tastes lovely though, no good for me as I could eat cereal to the exclusion of every other food (and frequently did, as a student).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I got some nutty granola yesterday and some ouzo from the Greek week section it’s only 50cl but it is nice.
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    New product at Lidl:

- Alpro Soya Yogurt (500g) - £1.25. I have a feeling that despite being a branded product, this is quite a good price even for the plain variety.

Yes, it is...... I think I paid £1.60ish in Tesco last week
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    New product at Lidl:

I don't know how it compares, but Aldi have Soyummy soya yogurt (500ml) for 95p.

https://dairyfreekids.ie/product-watch-june-and-july/

Having never had soya yogurt before, I gave it a try last week. It didn't seem very yummy to me, but perhaps I just don't like soya yogurt.
    Stompa
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2019 at 9:22AM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    ...I inspected the content of the pink pack, and its nearly 50% sugar :eek:

I don't want to put you off, but according to the packs, there's not a huge difference between the two varieties: Nutty is 8.9g of Sugar, and Berries is 9.7g (both per 45g portion, which is quite a meagre serving from my POV).

Unrelated: it seems like there's now some distance between L & A on dried fruit (the snacking packs, not the baking packs). It's slightly difficult to tell because these shelves are very untidy in my local Lidl, but it looks like L has reduced pack sizes to 150g-175g, whilst Aldi still has 300g for around the same price. (Who knows how long that will remain the case, though).
  • sweetcarer
    sweetcarer Posts: 1,083
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is it just mine or is all Lidl shops - has the Sondey(sp?) Breakfast Biscuits been discontinued?
    :j cross stitch forever, housework whenever :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport