Asda Paperless Deliveries

Rotti
Rotti Posts: 232
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Living in a remote area of Wales we rely on Asda for our food shopping and have it delivered. We run a small B&B so some of the items are for the business and are marked on the receipt which is then filed and kept with our records. When the shopping arrives we usually scan quickly through to check that it is all there as on one occasion a whole tray went back to the store. When the driver has left we check it more thoroughly and mark down damages and short dates for refund if necessary.

Last week we received a note with the delivery to say that they were going paperless as of January 9th as part of their campaign to save waste. Fine if you don't particularly want or need a receipt but there are some instances where they are needed so I think there should be an option to continue receiving one. I realise that many people put them straight in the bin but there are certain categories of people that need them.

Businesses are just one example but there are many older people without computers who have their food ordered by another family member so when they get their delivery the receipt is the only proof of delivery and substitutions they have. People who order on phones and tablets would not necessarily have a printer so would have to have the device handy to check it off and there is no way to check things off the list as with a pen and paper. Even with a printer there is then an increased cost with the customer having to buy ink cartridges.

They say you can get an eDelivery Note by email or check the Order Details online but not everyone receiving orders has access to the internet. One idea they suggest is asking your driver to check it for you on his machine but as they work to tight time schedules (and ours deliver 90 miles up through Wales from Swansea to Aberystwyth and Devil's Bridge) they would not have the time to do that item by item for everyone. My driver today was already collecting complaints from customers and being at the sharp end will get all the flack! Our drivers are all lovely but they don't have infinite patience and have enough to deal with on our tiny roads!

I used the website feedback to contact them and got a corporate reply saying it was part of their mission to reduce waste. I got the feeling it would not go any further so called up their head office to make sure they understand the issues with a blanket removal of receipts. The guy I spoke to agreed as he likes to check his deliveries off with good old pen and paper too but said that unless people complain they won't get a true picture of the problem. So I would urge everyone who wants their paper not to accept its removal as a fait accomplis but to lobby Asda to make receipts optional.

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,564
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Same with Morrisons online deliveries.....no receipt with the delivery.
    Very very annoying.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Without the receipt, if something is of poor quality, how can you bring it back for a refund? My parents did a Sainsburys online shop and something was mouldy before the date. They took it into their nearest Sainsburys - not the store that picked the order, with the receipt and got their money back.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Without the receipt, if something is of poor quality, how can you bring it back for a refund?

ASDA will no longer be delivering a paper receipt with the groceries but customers will get a receipt by email which can be printed if required.

However, if something is ordered online it is expected that the refund will be claimed online. Amongst other things, I have claimed refunds in the past from ASDA for 8 pints of milk delivered one day before expiry. I got a full refund without having to return the items to the store.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466
    First Post
    Forumite
    I find the e-receipts great, and always immediately chucked the paper one in the recycling. I agree it would be nice to be given the option - the same as with carrier bags. Maybe a 5p charge for a receipt that also went to charity would be a good compromise, and Asda can hit their 'green' targets. Those like me who are happy to have less clutter aren't affected, and those who want a receipt printed for them still can.
  • Rotti wrote: »
    Last week we received a note with the delivery to say that they were going paperless as of January 9th as part of their campaign to save waste.

I love the way companies try to dress up a cost saving measure as an altruistic effort to help the environment, and hypocritical in the case of supermarkets who are amongst the worst offenders when it comes to unnecessary packaging.

Do Asda home grocery deliveries still arrive contained in excessive amounts of plastic bags or have they stopped that now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure