LV Home Insurance terms on Topcashback

In the terms of LV Home Insurance on Topcashback, under 'What will stop me getting cashback?', it states:
'If you have previously had a quote elsewhere such as a price comparison site then the transaction will be declined'.

I've created a support ticket in Topcashback to ask for clarification but I just wondered if anyone had come across the statement before.

Surely it can't be right, as otherwise if a price comparison was ever made that showed LV in the results, then the person would never be entitled to cashback if they purchased via the link in Topcashback.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I guess it's to stop people shopping around on comparison sites then seeing who's giving the best cashback (although buying insurance on the basis of possible cashback is not a good idea).

If that's their terms for cashback then not much you can do.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    you could always do dummy price comparison websites with a fake name and DOB
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Surely it can't be right,
    Of course it can, why ever not?
  • Mosler
    Mosler Posts: 91
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 3:42PM
    If I purchase LV home insurance via the link on Topcashback for Confused.com, would I be entitled to cashback that way from Confused, if I have already had a quote from LV via Topcashback?

On Quidco their terms for LV home insurance state under 'What will stop me earning cashback?':
    'If you obtain a quote through Quidco and purchase through a Price Comparison Site
    If you obtain a quote through a Price Comparison Site and purchase through Quidco
    If you obtain a quote through LV= Home Insurance and purchase through Quidco'

Is that just for Quidco or should I interpret this that once you've had a quote from LV, you cannot have cashback from a price comparison site?
  • Exactly the same terms on Quidco!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,288
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mosler wrote: »
    Surely it can't be right, as otherwise if a price comparison was ever made that showed LV in the results, then the person would never be entitled to cashback if they purchased via the link in Topcashback.

It's probably because of the terms of LV's affiliate program - i.e. the terms on which LV pay other companies that bring them business.

For example, when you go from a comparison site to LV's site, a 30 day cookie might be dropped on your computer. So if you buy within the next 30 days, the comparison site gets the referral fee. (It could be 30 days, 14 days, or any number of days.)

So LV won't pay anyone else (e.g. Topcashback) during that period.

You may be able to get around it by deleting cookies, or using a different device (phone, tablet, pc) to make your eventual purchase.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's a pretty standard term.

I always use the price comparison sites a few months before renewal and take a note of all the reputable insurers who are the cheapest.
    Then when it comes to renewal I use cashback sites to get new quotes from all the insurers on my list.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure