Item selling for more than expected -worried about how to post.

Comments

• kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Whenever I list something on Ebay I always put a little comment in the listing saying should the item sell for more than £20 it will be sent signed for at no additional cost to the buyer.

That is a brilliant idea! I will have to do that from now on.
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just another question - nothing to do with the above mentioned item.

If an item sells for £22 and I have POP and it goes missing, when I claim from RM, will they reject the whole claim as it is over £20 limit or will they reimburse £20 and my loss would be £2? Does anyone know?
  • kalsha wrote: »
    Just another question - nothing to do with the above mentioned item.

If an item sells for £22 and I have POP and it goes missing, when I claim from RM, will they reject the whole claim as it is over £20 limit or will they reimburse £20 and my loss would be £2? Does anyone know?

Assuming it's an item which they cover then they cover you up to the amount of compensation taken, in this case £20, plus the cost of the service.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would probably ask you to cancel then as I live a good 20 mile round trip from my delivery office and certainly wouldn't be home to take a delivery - I don't have near neighbours either so it couldn't be left.
    Don't you have the same problem for any parcel too big to go through a letterbox - signature needed or not?
  • martindow wrote: »
    Don't you have the same problem for any parcel too big to go through a letterbox - signature needed or not?

No. For items that don't need a signature the postie will leave in a safe place. It's items that need a signature that cause the issue. Therefore anyone advertising SF gets the swerve. My postie is quite happy to leave non signature parcels in a safe place but he won't leave them unsigned. I am quite happy with the arrangement.
  • No. For items that don't need a signature the postie will leave in a safe place. It's items that need a signature that cause the issue. Therefore anyone advertising SF gets the swerve. My postie is quite happy to leave non signature parcels in a safe place but he won't leave them unsigned. I am quite happy with the arrangement.

As upgrading the service is something I do daily, I would say that well under 1% of customers complain when you do it if not a fraction of 1%. Having said that, when I used to live in an extremely remote area, the post man used to write "thank you!" on all our signed for and put them through the letter box.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As upgrading the service is something I do daily, I would say that well under 1% of customers complain when you do it if not a fraction of 1%. Having said that, when I used to live in an extremely remote area, the post man used to write "thank you!" on all our signed for and put them through the letter box.

Upgrading isn't an issue. It's using Signed For that's the issue for us. Unless you mean adding SF is your upgrade? In which case I would be that 1%. SF has never been a service I like - certainly with free POD for parcels now it's really only needed for enhanced compo and that is for the benefit of the seller not the buyer. I see no upgrade in SF for a buyer.

As I said, hopefully the op's buyer won't have an issue with whatever service the op choses.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,762
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can you use tracked instead? Don't think they need to be signed for
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Archergirl wrote: »
    Can you use tracked instead? Don't think they need to be signed for
    Have you got a C&D account or can you open one, you can then see if you've got RMT on your account, that will give you insurance to £50 without the need for a signature *thus keeping the service the same in effect.

Already suggested.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,762
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry I didn't understand that post...I just meant at the post office.x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income