Feedback - are people bothering any more?

Comments

• If I can answer as someone who stopped selling on eBay years ago - I almost never bother leaving feedback these days... maybe it's because of how eBay has changed from individuals selling to mostly businesses? I still leave nice feedback for people I've met on collections though, or where someone's obviously made a real effort, e.g. when I bought a very old radio receiver and the seller's excellent packaging had saved it's bacon when Parcelforce had apparently tried to use it as a football.

But, that aside, life's too short. I wouldn't go out of my way to leave feedback after buying a pint of milk at the supermarket, and I don't bother for the vast majority of routine transactions on eBay.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    By the strangest co incidence and for the first time ever on one of my private accounts I have received a message from eBay explaining that I have failed to leave feedback for a few items and telling me I should do so to improve the buyer/seller experience!

"When you buy an item, leaving Feedback is a great way to rate your experience with a seller on eBay. If you're a seller, leaving Feedback for your buyers is a great way to say thank you."

I find that so strange
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,063
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

I've had 1 feedback. Years ago it would've been at least 3 or possibly 4 by now.

Do you, as the seller, leave feedback first? If not it might explain why.
  • sham63 wrote: »
    Do you, as the seller, leave feedback first? If not it might explain why.
    Always.

Years ago i wouldn't (when we could leave negatives for dishonest/problematic buyers) but these days i just leave a positive because they paid and i leave it when they pay for the simple reason of if i buy from someone and they don't leave me feedback then i don't leave them any, so i think that way when selling as well.

If someone pays instantly then i say something like super fast payment or instant payment, fantastic buyer etc. If they take more than a day to pay then i just tone it down like paid for item, thanks for your custom.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I no longer leave feed back, ever. This started the day they took away the right for a seller to leave negative feedback.

If it's one sided then its none at all for me.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2018 at 12:46AM
    As a buyer I always leave feedback once the item is received and checked.

As a seller I only leave feedback once I have received feedback myself.

What's the point of putting 'Wonderful buyer, great Ebayer A+++' and then getting a spurious INR or SNAD claim 3 weeks later. I know I can't leave negative feedback in these cases but I can damn sure not leave false positive feedback also. Also, if someone can't be @rsed to leave me feedback why should I use up my time giving them feedback :D
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    kangoora wrote: »
    As a buyer I always leave feedback once the item is received and checked.

As a seller I only leave feedback once I have received feedback myself.

What's the point of putting 'Wonderful buyer, great Ebayer A+++' and then getting a spurious INR or SNAD claim 3 weeks later. I know I can't leave negative feedback in these cases but I can damn sure not leave false positive feedback also. Also, if someone can't be @rsed to leave me feedback why should I use up my time giving them feedback :D

Feedback for a buyer is immaterial but feedback for a seller on occasions could be vital- so not being @rsed might not be the right attitude. A lot of us here have run into issues with our metrics and rely on getting a fair bit of feedback to water down the percentage, whether it be to dilute a negative or water down the percentage late defects . So possibly depending on the state of the account, keeping a regular flow of feedback coming in might be critical.

Also having been left a positive doesn't mean they aren't later going to try something dodgy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    Feedback for a buyer is immaterial but feedback for a seller on occasions could be vital- so not being @rsed might not be the right attitude. A lot of us here have run into issues with our metrics and rely on getting a fair bit of feedback to water down the percentage, whether it be to dilute a negative or water down the percentage late defects . So possibly depending on the state of the account, keeping a regular flow of feedback coming in might be critical.

Also having been left a positive doesn't mean they aren't later going to try something dodgy.

I think you've read my post the wrong way around. I always leave feedback when I'm buying i.e. FB to the seller - when I'm selling I only leave feedback to buyers if they can be bothered to leave me feedback.
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,063
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kangoora wrote: »
    I think you've read my post the wrong way around. I always leave feedback when I'm buying i.e. FB to the seller - when I'm selling I only leave feedback to buyers if they can be bothered to leave me feedback.

If we bought or sold to each other, neither of us would receive feedback!

I always leave feedback first as a seller, as has been pointed out above, the buyer has fulfilled their obligation by paying.

I won’t leave feedback as a buyer until the seller has left me feedback.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,905
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Its all a bit tit for tat here. As a sporadic seller and buyer, I always leave feedback when the buyer has paid. Maybe I am setting myself up for a fall but that just seems the obvious thing to do.

I think you are all trying to edge the system a bit so you come out on top (by your definition of top), when everyone would be better off being a bit more in the spirit of the system. I came looking for this thread as I am on 0 for 4 feedback on my recent items and wondered if it was just me

If I was a buyer and I didn't get feedback I wouldn't use you again - honestly what does a buyer have to do other than pay. All your rationale not to do this are just basically telling me you think I'm out to scam to you or that I should be more grateful for buying than you are for selling and neither are a good basis for business IMHO
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills